• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

How Vape Pens Could Threaten the Pot Legalization Movement

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Not everyone is going to welcome an innovation that facilitates getting high in public places—like high school hallways.

Last year, I joined some parents from my son's preschool for their semiregular "Dad's Night Out." We were at a crowded bar in Oakland, and somehow it emerged that I'd done some stories about marijuana. A dad immediately asked if I'd written about hash oil. Within a few minutes (for the sake of journalism, of course), I was trying a hit of nearly odorless vapor from what looked like a miniature flashlight. A single puff, and I was too high to order a second beer.

It might be an understatement to say that marijuana concentrates smoked from so-called vape pens—the pot version of e-cigarettes—accomplish for stoners what flasks full of moonshine do for lushes: Portable, discreet, and fantastically potent, they're revolutionizing the logistics of getting high, and minimizing the risk of discovery. Stories abound of people using vape pens to blaze away undetected at baseball games, city council meetings, kids' soccer matches, and, of most concern to parents and educators, high schools. Even if pot brownies have been around forever, this is probably not what your average Colorado or Washington voter had in mind when they cast a ballot to legalize recreational marijuana.

The concentrates typically used in vape pens are made by extracting THC from pot with water ("bubble hash"), transferring it into butter ("budder"), or refining it into what's known as butane hash oil (BHO, or "errrl," since stoners need a slang term for everything pot-related). From there, it can be refined further into a wax or an amber-like solid ("shatter"). These products are up to three times stronger than the most mind-bending buds. In short, it ain't your father's schwag, and its snowballing popularity among young people is reshaping the culture of the pot scene: One customarily smokes (or "dabs") BHO from specially designed bongs known as "oil rigs," and not at the designated hour of 4:20, but rather at 7:10—which, in case you're wondering, is "OIL" upside down and backwards.

"Baking Bad," the headline of a recent Slate piece on the concentrates scene, aptly sums up how the trend could become a PR nightmare for the legalization movement. As the name implies, making butane hash oil involves extracting THC from cannabis using butane—you know, lighter fluid. The growing rash of butane lab fires and explosions could suggest that potheads are going the way of meth tweakers. And when BHO is improperly made, it can be tainted with toxins.

cont at
http://www.motherjones.com/politics...ookahs-e-cigarettes?google_editors_picks=true

Except vape pens aren't a product of legalization and will be there regardless of whether marijuana is legalized or not.
There have been countless reports of kids being caught with them in school where pot is illegal.
And seriously kids are always gonna try to sneak drugs into school, I mean how many kids I knew sneaking alcohol into class in coffee mugs and getting drunk in class.
How about teach your kids to be responsible instead of trying to hide them from everything you consider to be "evil" in the world.
The lack of logic people have fucking ASTOUNDS me

EDIT: wow I just read the article in it's entirety and this bitch sounds RETARDED
"hurrrrr since stoners need a slang term for anything"
"blazing at 7:10 because it's OIL upside down"

Please fuck your own face

This seems like it falls under the responsibility of the parents and the school system and MOST OF ALL THE KIDS THEMSELVES, YEAH I SAID IT, ITS WAY PAST TIME THAT KIDS AND ADULTS IN THIS SOCIETY TAKE FUCKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN LIVES, DECISIONS, AND ACTIONS.

This may allow it to be easily consumed in many places in a school.. but smoking grass in school is nothing new.. before this it was "smokeless" pinch hitters and fabric softener tubes or whatever.
Im thinking about the people I new who were baked the most in school.. one got a double master degree, In math and I think chemistry.. an other married into wealth.. another got a lib arts degree and I now a real rock star.. another is a city planner.. two others got master in ? and an undergrad in wildlife biology.. but a very big majority of them are successful in the ways they pursued.

This is fully true.. There was one however that ended up in prison for awhile.. but this wasn't because of the grass, rather he had some independent issues..

Oh another one undergrad in manufacturing systems from a toughted private school and is no now working on his masters... after holding a nice upper management position for a world leading windmill manufacturer.

As far as the ones that got lit all through college, ones a doctor, on graduated with a english undergrad and then went to study culinary at the CIA, one owns his own windmill factory, One owns a whole bunch of banks.. ones a journeyman electrician, ones government worker, ones I think its logistics planner, maybe not, but he plans how to get all this organic produce to this huge market area, one a micro brewer. One got his masters in horticulture. Ones a bartender. One owns a construction business, another owns a bridal shop. couple of them own painting businesses. Ones an art teacher.

I know this isnt a fair representation, but it is my firm belief that successful people will be successful. That and unsuccessful people will be unsuccessful, with or with out the grass, until they change their approach to life.

Yes, parents worried over nothing will at least threaten the spread of weed legalization. Granted, speed bump might be a better word than threat, but that's the demographic (along with old people, how could I possibly forget old people) that will make it take longer than it should need to.

A coworker and I ripped wax from his little vape pen in the walk in refrigerator at work once. After that I was sold. And ripped.

What's the issue here? The author is just comparing cannabis concentrates (which, I might add, are far safer than the myriad RC cannnabinoids that have done the rounds in recent years) to other "strong" drugs ("moonshine"?) or the danger of people doing their own butane extractions - explosions or chemical contamination.
The obvious answer to the latter is so fucking obvious; legalise and regulate - and as for the "moonshine" remark - how fucking manipulative and ironic.
What is worse for people's health; choking down clouds of combusted plant matter - or toking a minimal puff of vapour?
The stupidity of this article is....well, hardly surprising.
Middle class fools with no respect for the power of such a substance making reactionary claims comparing concentrated forms of cannabis to "hard drugs".
I see the US backlash is here - and it is as insipid and hypocritical as always.

I smoked hash oil at high school in the 90s. Big deal. We did other, far more discreet drugs, too. Dexamphetamine, anyone?
Just because people are getting more creative with their ROA doesn't mean the world is going to end or we are facing a "new manace". If anything, the product in question is safer for the individual, more considerate socially (for those who don't want to be exposed to second-hand smoke - or for their children to be) - especially when we're talking about consumers of cannabis with a high tolerance, which law reform/legalisation is sure to result in.
I suppose the media have to hype up fear to sell papers or get hits. For that reason alone I refuse to read the article - just preaching to the unenlightened.
The prediction that BHO (or whatever regional slang terms call this sort of hash) causing a setback to the cause of legalisation/social acceptance is absurd; in a regulated, legal market the consumer can choose what suits them best.
Want some mellow mids? Ok!
Prefer a concentrate that will guarantee a solid stone? Yes, please!

In my backwards country, we're still years - possibly millennia away from seriously discussing the prospect of legalising cannabis for recreational use.
But dammit, America! Don't let these "Dad's night out" lightweight squares go unquestioned.
This guy - like the high school kid that downs half a bottle of bourbon and passes out in a pool of vomit - needs to learn his limits and stick to them - not try and push them on everybody else.
I do hope some statesiders write some replies to motherjones.com about this joke of an article.

Being too stoned to not need another beer?
Shit, how is that a bad thing?! :D
How is that obesity epidemic going, anyway? Last I heard we Aussies were giving you some er...healthy competition on that one.
Less booze, more killed reefer, I say. For health reasons...y'know.

Last edited:
My my, the drug warriors are going for broke. Cry me a river.

^Is that supposed to mean something? Or just one of those narky jibes with a cliche attached that is supposed to deflect from your non-comment? Text can be intimidating for some people....if that's what you're getting at.

Apparently the author has never heard of the even more discreet than portable vapes and much older roa, edibles.

The fuck, first they complain about the smell of burning weed.. now they complain they CAN'T smell it? This is frankly ridiculous :|

^Is that supposed to mean something?

My my (Golly!), the drug warriors (the drug prohibitionists) are (are) going for broke (seemingly bitching about everything they can think of to keep the THC products from becoming legalized and regulated). Cry me a river (They should stop wining - it's rather silly).

Or just one of those narky jibes with a cliche attached that is supposed to deflect from your non-comment?

Here's a cliché for you: 'Don’t get your knickers in a twist' - because I'm on your side.

Text can be intimidating for some people....if that's what you're getting at.

Apparently so can drug reform. They'll have to learn to accept and deal with it instead of trying to sue the POTUS, or to have the media publish stories about - what should be - non-issues. That is what I was getting at. But I was quite "out of it" at the time.

Last edited:
I often think the post below me is replying to me when it is not, I can see what happened there.

As far as the ones that got lit all through college, ones a doctor, on graduated with a english undergrad and then went to study culinary at the CIA, one owns his own windmill factory, One owns a whole bunch of banks.. ones a journeyman electrician, ones government worker, ones I think its logistics planner, maybe not, but he plans how to get all this organic produce to this huge market area, one a micro brewer. One got his masters in horticulture. Ones a bartender. One owns a construction business, another owns a bridal shop. couple of them own painting businesses. Ones an art teacher.

I think what you've gotten at in your post is that everyone does it! Which I agree is true; people of all different backgrounds choose to engage in and enjoy the use of cannabis. Said usage does not effect the longterm projections of outcomes in their lives. I would totally agree. I know plenty of successful potheads.