• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

how unreliable and scammy is curcumin??

allone

Bluelighter
I have been using supplements for 20 years now. I have never felt more sick in my life!! I thought they would boost my health, make me SUPERMAN. well, not a superman... but at least very healthy, right?? WRONG. they made me much worse than when i started, in point to FACT.
So anyway, i dont wanna bore people out of their minds with my stupid ramblings about how the supplement industry, because of corrupt SCIENTISTS, is very corrupt, duh. but i just want to pick on this specific one because as superfood junkies used to call it "superfood" and that is turmeric, has been around for a long time now and has made billions of dollars. most, if not almost all, people have at least tried it, right? personally i have tried and used it countless times over the years mainly for inflammation as indicated, but never felt shit worth a result. SO for all the brainiacs present on this forum, if you used it or not, what are your thoughts on this crap? is it as useless and bad as acai (another past time superfood) or its probably more along the lines of something like kale (current superfood overrated crap). whats your take on this here?

as bonus i would like to post this asshole who probably influenced all the studies on curcumin i ever felt for and brought it; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bharat_Aggarwal
if i ever see him, ill first ask for my money back based on his SHITHOLE RESEARCH and then proceed to kick his little indian dick ass!!!

Curcumin (as the pure compound), when taken with piperine, which drastically improves its absorption rate, really works for inflammation. Tw of my friends and myself have used it to reduce chronic inflammation. My one friend went from taking 16 ibuprofen a day just to be able to function from muscle and joint pain, to taking none, just the curcumin/piperine combo. I found it quite useful for reducing the inflammation of psoriasis, ultimately I went on a third generation biologic medication as I have severe psoriasis that was becoming psoriatic arthritis, so curcumin was not enough.

It works, in my experience andthe experiences of friends. I am wary of the placebo effect, but this was not the placebo effect.

When you take it, do you preload with piperine? Without that, the oral bioavailability of curcumin is so low as to be almost negligible. My dose was always 1 gram of curcumin (which is equivalent to huige, massive amounts of turmeric, since curcumin is present in only 2-8% by weight of dried turmeric. So 1 gram of pure curcumin is equivalent to anywhere between 12.5 grams and 50 grams of turmeric), after taking 25mg of piperine a half hour before. Piperine ay 20mg has been shown in studies to increase oral curcumin bioavailability by around 2000%.

Also the cancer research and treatment institute (a nonprofit organization) found curcumin to have anti-cancerous properties against certain cancers.

Lots of supplements are bogus or negligible, and the supplement industry is a multi-billion dollar industry that tries to push all sorts of bogus claims. But that doesn't mean every supplement is bogus.

Last edited:
I’ve not gotten much from the supplements, but the actual root works wonders for inflammation and occasionally energizes me too..

Golden milk is what’s up.. Grate turmeric and ginger, put into a tea strainer. Add nutmeg and cinnamon either in tea bag or to the pot. Now add milk or milk substitute (preferably milk sub if trying to negate inflammation) and brew until it’s a rich golden color, for 10-15min usually. Tastes amazing.

-GC

Supplements are maybe 5% of the picture. Diet, sleep, exercise, and mental health are 95% of the picture.

I've done all the steroids. I've done all the drugs. I've done all the supplements. They can only add a little extra to what you already do, not make up for things you refuse to take care of yourself. The best I've ever felt consistently was when I was keeping it simple and exercising well. I know people with chronic health issues. None of them take care of themselves well. Which is understandable when you feel horrible all the time. But it's a painful downward spiral. And they only way to resist is through some even more painful effort.

I'm a guy who deeply appreciates nature and hates eating artificial things, but let me tell ya, herbal supplements are more pyramid scheme than healing industry.

Last edited:
supplements arent meant at all to HEAL OR CURE anyone EVER AT ALL. whats their point really?? yes, maybe if you deficient in certain nutrients they might help. but if you are deficient in certain nutrients, just consume certain foods with those nutrients perhaps? instead of taking vitamins made in china!
did you guys know vitamin c is 95% made in china? and its also the hottest commodity on the supplement market??
im not saying china is ALL BAD but they dont have such strict controls, and it might take only ONE bad batch and poison tons of people. really, its quite easy and simple.

for the guys supporting curcumin, you didnt even read my main post i guess. i said i have been taking supplements for 20+ years and turmeric or curcumin to be more exact has been part of it most of my life. ive taken around 20 types/brands of curcumin. some of piperine, others without. most with phospholipids which ehance absorption and also other co-factors advertised so. none of them did shit worth to me! so yeah, i assume its all placebo. The next phase i plan on figuring out if curcumin might possibly work at all, is to get some for my ma and see how she reacts as she takes shitload of ibuprofen and i wish to change that. its my last resort, with high hopes! maybe its individual thing, and it might FINALLY work for someone besides me that i personally know!? we shall see!!!