• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos How to talk to my doctor about benzodiazepines

hh95

Bluelighter
Hey BL!
First I will start by saying that this IS NOT a sourcing post I am simply just getting a little darn frustrated atm with doctors.
Now I have anxiety. Badddd. I cant really leave my house without some level of extreme anxiety. I have panic attacks regularly and over the last year it has slowly begun to control my life. I have been taking anti depressants, namely lexapro which did wonders for my depression but squat for my anxiety. I have tried antipsychotics and beta blockers (propranolol) to no avail either. Its sortve frustrating me that not one doctor out of the 3 I have seen have even suggested a benzodiazepine to treat the anxiety. I can understand that i do have a history of drug abuse (mostly stimulants) and they should be wary. But the honest to god truth is that i will not abuse these medications as i know they will help me if used properly. Aside from the point that benzos offer no recreational effects for me anyways aside from anxiety relief (yes i have taken diazepam to try and get high and it does nothing but make me drowsy). I just dont get what the big deal is. Its so annoying knowing there are medications that will increase my quality of life, but know one will give them to me. Is it wise for me to bring them up or even talk about picking up 3 days worth of doses at a time if they want to be that strict because if it would help me feel better i am down for it because i cant keep living my life like this. Any advice guys?

Sorry for the whinging post I normally try and keep it positive.
PEACE HH95 :)

Bring it up but just be honest. I find I get a better and more trusting response from doctors when I'm being genuine rather than trying to manipulate or game them... most of them are not idiots.

I get benzos and a ton of opiates this way, despite admitting to an extensive history of drug abuse - hell, I've even been told that it's merely self-medication and actually evidence that an actual problem exists.

You might not get want you want right away, but I think being genuine really is what more often results in the best care for you - whether you do or actually don't really need benzos

I have a history of IV drug abuse, have been to treatment twice and get 6mg of Xanax a day. Benzo's work great but eventually they stop working completely... I'm 19 and am maxed out on my benzo dosage due to my sub clinic's rules... I have panic disorder, GAD, OCD, and the benzo's seem like an easy way out but they jusy make your anxiety worse. I have a friend who has been taking alprazolam as needed for 2 years... He makes 30 0.5mg pills last 3-6 months; that is the way to do it.

sometimes you have to jump through hoops before getting any type of benzos i was on buspar and all kinds of other shit before i got xanax
if you are agoraphobic and have extreme anxiety you are better off trying a ssri or something
benzos should be used as needed because long term daily use the withdrawal you can encounter will make what you feel right now feel like a sunday walk in the park
which withdrawal will most likely happen if you are taking them like crazy
yoga,meditation and cbt therapy is recommended before getting on benzos because trust me you will need a strong will power to limit benzo use
really really easy to abuse them because of the relief they provide
hell if i wasnt a strong willed person i wouldve abused the shit out of xanax a long time ago
believe me when i say i have debated many times that i should get relief now and deal with the bs later

Last edited:
From what I understand, benzos are more on the difficult side to get. I've never seen a doctor in order to get medication (not counting non-mental illnesses) though. Like emjay stated however, doctors aren't idiots. I'm sure they deal with countless instances of people trying to simply score medication. See how far honesty takes you.

In the mean time, I recommend GABA supplements. It's a naturally occurring neurotransmitter in the body, a deficiency of GABA gives way to all sorts of anxiety due to nothing regulating the firing of neurons in your brain. This is where the panic and anxiety comes from, if my research is accurate. It has worked wonders for me, found in your local drug store.

In my experience, you usually won't get a narcotic if you flat out ask for it. You need to present the issue that you're having. If the situation calls for a benzo, your doctor will give it to you since it's the first line of treatment short term. A lot of doctors flat out refuse to prescribe benzos since it isn't a sustainable way of dealing with anxiety.

When I started having panic attacks I simply gave him the scenario of me being unable to care for my wife/daughter because my anxiety would have me afraid to leave my room.

The quality of your life won't improve much. Benzodiazepines aren't magic bullets. A lot of ex-benzo users will tell you that it actually becomes worse. You'll start having rebound anxiety, which will lead you to taking it daily. That will lead to tolerance and the need to increase the dosage. Ultimately you end up with withdrawals and dependence. People who have gone through this cycle will tell you that whatever anxiety you have now will be increased tenfold once you're down this path.

Have you tried cognetive therapy? Teaching your brain to recognize your panic attack, agree to go through with it instead of trying to wish it away and realizing that it will pass is far more effective in the long run since your brain eventually learns to ignore the anxiety by adapting to it. A narcotic does the opposite, it prevents you from evolving over the problem.