• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Diet How to SPROUT ALMONDS (with pics)

darvocet21

Bluelighter
Needed: Raw, unsalted ALMONDS & water. A glass bowl or baking tray
Prep: ~10 mins... Total time: ~2 days

Used 2 handfuls cos it made one layer:
20210630-093446.jpg

Add enough water so almonds are halfway submerged but not covered or floating...(Filtered/bottled water is better, because it doesn't have the chlorine which may slow the sprouting process.)
20210630-093755.jpg

Place loosely covered bowl out of direct sun (not in refrigerator) and check at ~8 hrs and ~12 hrs. If necessary, add a little bit of water up to the halfway point of the nuts. After 12 hours stop adding water. I like this glass bowl since it has a lid which I put on & shook lightly to get them evenly coated. Notice top is not on tightly & leaves space for venting:
20210630-094002.jpg

After 36 hours mine had plumped-up to 150% their orig size. They nearly DOUBLE in size by Day 3, but my happy medium is 36~48 hours. (If you go longer you will see the sprout begin to show... however the flavors will lessen in intensity because the plant is starting to use the nutrients at that point.)

Using cool tap water, rinse and drain ... Here's how they looked:
20210701-185242.jpg

Congratulations! You've turned a wickedly healthy food into something truly remarkable. There are many books and articles online about the benefits of sprouting all kinds of things! (a short list is at the bottom).

There are many ways to enjoy: I love em plain & blanched (skinless).
20210701-185324.jpg

Using your thumb and forefinger squeeze very lightly and the skin will pop right off:
20210701-202443.jpg

Ways to serve them
If not consumed they should be refrigerated.
To extend their life drying is necessary, in a food dehydrator or low temp. oven between 115-150°F.(45-60°C) for 12-24 hours (if using an oven a wire-mesh rack is strongly recommended for even drying and avoiding having to flip them regularly).

Either if you decide to dehydrate or eat right away, here's a good way to stop the sprouting process that you can fine tune to the time when you think they taste best:

1. Drain off all excess sprouting water.

2. Pour salty water over the almonds enough to cover them...the water should taste salty but not oppressively so...put lid on and shake lightly so they all get coated. Continue soaking them in the salty solution ~20 minutes, then drain it out and rinse (if desired). The sodium causes the enzyme activity to halt. It's also in lieu of salting should you decide to put them in the oven or dehydrator. I've only read about this method but I think it's a smart way to add sodium evenly. But if you choose this don't overdo the salt! It's easy to overwhelm the subtle flavors of the sprouted nuts.

A variation that people LOVE is to use low-sodium Tamari soy sauce instead of salt. Adds a wonderful flavor

That's it! Let me know if there are any secret recipes recommendations that you have. I just enjoy eating them though so I haven't even gotten to the drying stage 🤓

some different sprouting times:
Screenshot-20210701-200857-Google.jpg

Last edited:
Hope you enjoy, they have a wonderful sweet nuttiness that's missing from plain almonds. Though I've never taking the extra step to dry mine friends did and there's also a grower at our local farmers market who sells one pound bags of sprouted almonds that taste perfect even though they have maybe half as much sodium as regular roasted & salted almonds.

If you give it a try put them on a wire mesh rack in a low oven (<50° C.) although a dehydrator that uses air circulation and minimal heat is better ... it may take the better part of a day but once dried they will keep well for several months in an airtight container or even longer in the freezer.

It's worth it to go this extra step if you are sprouting a large amount. When I got them at the Farmers Market I was instantly hooked! ... somehow once dehydrated, sprouted almonds manage to be both crunchier yet lighter than regular roasted almonds which sometimes leave me feeling heavy, especially ones roasted in oil. Once I bought a bag and was so hungry I wound up eating almost half and felt great. I probably could have eaten the other half but the peaches were calling 😂

Last edited:
I like the post effort. I am curious, why sprout almonds? Are they like bean sprouts?

I love nuts.

How do these taste vs roasted? I love roasted almonds.

I like the post effort. I am curious, why sprout almonds? Are they like bean sprouts?

From my memory, sprouting anything will give different nutrient profile along with enzymes not found in the seed/nut alone. It seems good to have a bit of both sprouted and unsprouted as they both have things the other doesn’t. That was my takeaway at least.

-GC

I love nuts.

How do these taste vs roasted? I love roasted almonds.
The texture is closer to roasted almonds, yet without the dryness/brittleness and they posses a whole new level of sweetness and other complex flavors that are not present in either raw or roasted almonds and result from enzyme activity to unlock all the stored energy for use by the growing plant... complex molecules of protein and carbohydrates are broken down into simpler ones ( as in the barley malting process ... which is also a sprouting process that is halted by roasting).

The best of both worlds is taking the final step of putting them in food dehydrator or a low oven of 115-150°F.(45-60°C) for 12-24 hours. Since sprouted almonds also have the shortest shelf life and have to be refrigerated, dehydrating is worth it to extend their freshness for months.

PRO TIP: either if you decide to dehydrate or eat right away, here's a good way to end the sprouting, like literally, and you can fine tune it to the time when you think they taste best:

1. Drain off all excess sprouting water.

2. Pour salty water over the almonds enough to cover them...the water should taste salty but not oppressively so...put lid on and shake lightly so they all get coated in this solution. After ~20 minutes drain it out and rinse (if desired). This salt water causes the enzyme activity to halt. It's also in lieu of salting should you decide to put them in the oven or dehydrator. I've only read about this method but I think it's a smart way to add sodium evenly. But if you choose this don't overdo the salt! It's easy to overwhelm the subtle flavors of the sprouted nuts.

Last edited:
The texture is closer to roasted almonds, yet without the dryness/brittleness and they posses a whole new level of sweetness and other complex flavors that are not present in either raw or roasted almonds
That sounds very attractive man!

I will try this.

Because they taste better, and they're more digestible.

I don't know about sprouting beans. I'm guessing when they reach the point where they're looking like bean sprouts (those are typically mung beans) much of the nutrients have been converted into plant cellulose, amino acids & sugars.