Mental Health How to Manage Depression Better?

Stanleytomymates

Greenlighter
Hi all, I?m a new ?member?. I?ve been reading BlueLight for a long time as a non-member but decided to take the plunge as a non-member and officially register!

I?m currently on sertraline 50mg for depression for the second time, and go through periods of being Alcohol dependant, and I have a penchant for tramadol and similar things.

The tramadol isn?t prescribed (sertraline is) but I?m well versed on the chemical interactions between all the substances I?m ingesting.

Does anybody have any advice on how to manage depression with drinking and an occasional opioid binge? Any tips on what might be a better way of getting ?out of it? without moving opioids and SSRIs?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to learning and interacting with folk who are experiencing relatable things!

Cheers

Hey stanley, welcome to Bluelight :)

You'd probably find weed or phenibut safer than mixing alcohol and tramadol with your sertraline to get 'out of it' a bit. Bear in mind phenibut can still be addictive if used too often though.

I'm going to move this thread over to mental health to see if others have some suggestions on how to manage your depression better :)

Take care,
CFC

I manage a variety of diagnosed mental disorders without the use of drugs, unless you count weed. I've experienced too many fucked up side effects from anti-psychs/anti-deps over the years for little payoff, if any.

I purchase medical grade strains that are ranked high on leafly for depression. I can't touch liquor because I have zero self control and always end up drinking for months until my body gives in and vomits up any booze I try to get down.

Honestly, what helps more than anything is getting some exercise everyday. I ride a bike (I hate running) and lift. I also play basketball. Leading a sedentary lifestyle can make depression worse.

Eating healthy is extremely important and just like the exercise it helps on a number of levels - from biochemical to psychological. Binge eating junk food can make depression worse. Shit, eating fast food every day instead of proper food can also make depression worse thanks to the constant seesaw of fat, sugar and salt. If you don't have the time to cook and prepare food at home, at least choose the healthy option on the menu.

Finally and for me what helps me the most is being engrossed and consumed by my hobbies. I strongly suggest picking up a telescope or something else if astronomy isn't your thing. You can learn to play an instrument or learn how to speak another language using an app. Maybe you like to garden. Or if you like nature, you can learn to identify wildlife in your area. (Birds, insects, small mammals, etc) I spend a ton of time on plant and insect ID forums. You can get a cat or dog and actually raise it properly, which is a ton of work as opposed to just owning a pet like most people do - like they have a teddy bear that eats and shits. It helps a lot with self-worth and provides a sense of accomplishment.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Last edited:
WARNING: Sertraline and Tramadol can cause a dangerous interaction. Those should not be taken together. Sertraline is an SSRI. Tramadol is not technically an SSRI, but it raises serotonin. It also works like an opiate. You can get serotonin syndrome from that combo.
"Severe cases of serotonin syndrome can be fatal. Many case reports exist of patients taking SSRIs or SNRIs who developed serotonin syndrome while taking concurrent tramadol. Reported cases involved combining tramadol with citalopram, fluoxetine, paroxetine, nefazodone, sertraline, and venlafaxine"

You said you're well-versed on interactions, but I still wanted to point the danger out to others. I've experienced serotonin syndrome in the past. If you don't die, you'll feel like you're dying.

Exercise works for sure. You can't just take medicine and only expect that to work. You need physical activity and you also need to work on spirituality. Stop dwelling on negative thoughts. Reprogram your mind with positivity. I get my positivity from sermons. It lifts me up and makes me happy all day. Not saying I'm always in a good mood, but I have been diligently working on "turning the channel" from negative thoughts. It gets easier and it starts to come naturally. It takes practice every day.

If you're not into the word of God, you can read a book called "The Power" or listen to Eckart Tolle. It will get your mind going in a positive direction.

Therapy is helpful for me and seeing a psychiatrist. If you also have anxiety, it helps to have appointments to force you out of the house and around people. A relationship has also helped to push me out of my comfort zone, but a relationship is not necessary to feel whole and complete. Take care of yourself first.

Oh and nature! Go for walks and breathe in the fresh air, enjoy the scenery. I'm waiting for Spring so I can get back to nature and going to parks. It brings peace of mind.

Last edited:
Another suggestion is to help others. Volunteer or take care of an elderly family member. Be helpful wherever you are. It will take your mind off of yourself and there is healing power in that.