• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How to make gabapentin kick in faster

shpongle1987

Bluelighter
I was told diet pepsi due to the aspartame.....is that the only thing to make it kick in faster? Ive heard it takes 2+hours to kick in.

Carbonated beverages, Aleve (Naproxen Sodium) increases absorption, Empty stomach and then I've heard eating after ingesting the Gabapentin kicks it in faster.

Would hot tea do anything to help it? I just made a cup of yerba mate tea in the hopes it will break down the gaba quicker due to the heat.

the most effective way of taking gabapentin is through 100-300mg increments every 30-45 minutes until the desired dose is reached

^ this :) The bioavailability actually decreases with higher doses.

It does take a while to kick in. I don't imagine hot tea would make any difference..

the most effective way of taking gabapentin is through 100-300mg increments every 30-45 minutes until the desired dose is reached
^This and I find acidic beverages to help absorption.
Take Naproxen, brand name Aleve to increase BA.

^This and I find acidic beverages to help absorption.
Take Naproxen, brand name Aleve to increase BA.

Aleve made quite a positive difference in absorption and onset. I was somewhat surprised to actually find it very effective. Yeah, staggering is vital for the best BA as effie and laC have said.

take a dose of 300-600mg every 45mins with a tablespoon of peanut butter as the fat helps absorbtion

Gabapentin is an unusual drug in that it is only able to pass the blood brain barrier via an amino acid transporter which is easily saturated, which means if you take a lot at once, much less of it will absorb. I don't think IVing it or taking it other ways will help because it can't cross the BBB on its own without using the amino acid transporter which is present in the gut. In fact, IV might not even work at all. Taking it with fatty foods increases bioavailability. So does taking it with naproxen for some reason. As others have said, the best way to take it is about 300mg every 30 minutes, with food.