• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How to Lower Tolerance

scottstheone

Greenlighter
I have been on opiates for over 20 years. My doctor has prescribed me 10mg Percocet, 4X a day, and no Extended Release medicine. He told me that I have to make the 10mg percocet work because he doesn't prescribe anything higher than that. That doesn't help my pain. I have to take 3-4 pills (30 mg OR 45 morphine equivalent) each time to feel any pain relief at all. What's the best way to lower my tolerance? do without for 2 days? gradually cut down?

Unfortunalty the only sure fire way to lower tolerance is abstinence and for someone in your position who needs them for pain I can understand how that would be tough. If you can tolerate a few days here and there then that's going to be your best bet.

If you absolutely need them then you might have to find another doctor that will up your dose a bit, but i'm sure you understand that you can't keep upping the dose forever.

There's also other non opioid options for pain like gabapentoids, cannabis, physical therapy in some cases. You could also try switching opioids which works a bit differently like tramadol or morphine, and see if they work better for your pain.

Thanks for your advice, falsified. I've tried gabapentin at many different doses and have terrible side effects with it, and it doesn't help my pain. As far as cannabis goes, it is illegal in my state so I don't do it. I have tried CBC oil tincture made from hemp and it doesn't help my pain either, and morphine makes me itch excessively. So few options.