• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How to get rid of unpleasant s/e after 30mg oral Morphine?

bad idea

Greenlighter
Friend took 30mg IR morphine tablet last night (5'8, 145lbs) and she felt good for maybe 10mins and then got really anxious and said she felt like she couldnt breathe, started shivering, etc.
Anyways almost 12hrs later, her pupils are still tiny and she says she feels bad still. This was straight out a cancer patient's (trusted friend) stash of oral morphine pills so its not street shit.
She didn't really have any tolerance to opiates at all so maybe thats why? When should we expect her to start feeling straight again

Does she take any other medication? There could be something else going on here. Shivering is abnormal.

The morphine should be mostly out of her system by now. It has a high end half life of 4 hours in most people, there should be less than 12% of the dose left in her system after 12 hours.

30 mg of morphine is sort of a strong dose if she has never taken a opiate. I took 20 mg of methadone in high school with no tolerance and had a similar reaction minus the shivering part.

She may be sensitive to medication

But she should feel normal by tonight certainly if not tomorrow morning the latest and if she doesn’t I’d see a doctor

Does she take any other medication? There could be something else going on here. Shivering is abnormal.

The morphine should be mostly out of her system by now. It has a high end half life of 4 hours in most people, there should be less than 12% of the dose left in her system after 12 hours.
I asked and she says just an allergy pill every day, nothing else. Now it’s about 14 or 15hrs later her eyes look more normal and she’s feeling better
Thanks everyone

30 mgs is not a low dose for a naive person.
Also, do you know what kind of med is she taking? Some anty allergy meds, first generation antihistaminics, happen to potentiate opis like morphine

I know this isn't helpful, but I've never seen this reaction to Opioids, although I know anything is possible. Most folks I know who do too much end up immediately sluggish, sometimes pouring sweat, sometimes totally dry and before they go out they'll be itching themselves like a swarm of mosquitoes was on them.

It's totally possible that she had a panic attack. My mother is staunchly anti-medicine in the way that, she's not going to take a pill other than a Tylenol, which is still a lot, unless she believes a doctor to know and want her to. To ask her to do something like "try a nootropic" would be sacrilege.

She was having panic attacks for a while and struggled with anxiety her entire life. She had a panic attack while driving on the highway and ended up at Lowell General. They gave her what I imagine is a Benzo and she said as it started to take effect, she felt every part of her struggle against it. I remember thinking how strange that was, but have never really thought about it until now.

To be certain, drugs can put a person to sleep but in all of us is the adrenaline necessary to negate the effects of 30mg Morphine by the oral route and probably, much higher dosages.

Friend took 30mg IR morphine tablet last night (5'8, 145lbs) and she felt good for maybe 10mins and then got really anxious and said she felt like she couldnt breathe, started shivering, etc.
Anyways almost 12hrs later, her pupils are still tiny and she says she feels bad still. This was straight out a cancer patient's (trusted friend) stash of oral morphine pills so its not street shit.
She didn't really have any tolerance to opiates at all so maybe thats why? When should we expect her to start feeling straight again
Hope your friend is OK now. This is a big sign if CNS depression and has the characteristics of Serotonin Syndrome. It is hard to diagnose but find 2-10mg of Diazapam that was given to my friend in hospital helped. My friend had a cold shiver/sweats, Chattering teeth, low breathing and confusion.