• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How to get my brain to work along? (concentration)

NopeDose

Greenlighter
Hello everyone, i'm relatively new here but i have a serious question.
To get the best answer, i will have to provide some background information.
My problem is that i can't concentrate, and now that i want to go stude at an university, i want to handle this problem like a pro!
You know, I finally want to make something from my future, i finally think to have found what can make me happy for the rest of my life. So it's serious...

Let's start with the beginning. When i was a young little boy (i'm 24 now) my parents got me tested twice by professionals, i think at ages of 5 and 11.
It clearly appeared there that i have ASS (autism spectrum disorder) an ADHD. Not only that, but it appeared that I was actually quite intelligent for that age.
So from a very young age, they started to give me ritalin, i've taken it in different dosages and both the regular and modified release variants.
This seemed to work a little, but it's not that good. (still the best i've tried)
I am a completely different person when I take it. I can actually feel it coming up and when it's there, my sense for hunger has completely vannished.
But for me, this substance makes the difference of keeping and losing my job. I can't focus at all when i don't use it, even if i try.
When not under influence, I can't focus on anything for longer than a second. When reading something or just when trying to understand something.

Not to brag or something, but it is very clear to me that I am way more intelligent than the average person. for EVERYTHING i question myself "why?" and "what causes that?" It's like people block themselves from asking questions and keep doing "dumb" things because it's what they are used to. I do lack some social skills, but not badly, and i am also very aware of my own thought pattern. Despite this i just can't focus on / process the bulk of the sensory input that my brain receives.

So ritalin helps me a little, but t also has clear disadvantages, including:
-It makes it (even more) difficult to fall asleep
-It gives me at least every 2 weeks a major headace which renders me useless for the rest of the entire day, usually starting somewhere at midday.
-It suppresses my apetite.
-It can be a dangerous combination drug but it's ok because if i go study i won't have much spare time for making fun.
-The realization that i am useless without it, at least to function in this society...
-probably some more...

I have tried not taking it and it always made matters a lot worse!
At this moment, ritalin is my best option, but in high school it didn't exactly work out very well, even when using ritalin, so i feel onfurtunate to conclude that i need something better to get even through UNIVERSITY and achieve this bachelor thing.
It is very very very important that i succeed at the first try, or at least in my first year, because i will be dependant on a "government money" because i also need to pay for my rent! if its not successful in my first year, my entire future is wasted and i can't even try again.

So please people, if anyone can tell me what else i could try or what to do, i'll appreciate any advice!
I can get prescriptons from my doctor probably, that won't be an obstacle.
So for those wo don't know, ritalin = methylphenidate.

Other things that i tried:
-3-FPM (gives me a headace)
-Ethylphenidate (too much serotonin activity)
-various nootropics (maybe i didn't try them long enough, but i didn't notie much also noopept seemed to cause headaces i think.. but still suggestions are welcome)

my own observations may suggest that cognitive enhancers have a higher chance to cause headaces, mainly, but not necesarily above / behing / in 1 of my eyes. Regular stimulants seem to be fine...

All help is welcomed, thanks! :D i love you all!

One of the few things that can actually help permanently restructure the brain and improve executive (frontal lobe) functioning is meditation (specifically mindfulness meditation).

In terms of drugs, stimulants generally seem to have only a temporary (maybe a few years) effect.

You may not get further benefit on top of the ritalin with nootropics, but I'll move this thread over to PD forum as they may have more suggestions for you.

I don't suppose that you've tried an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor like galantamine?

Like CFC, I recommand meditation to you. It will be a lot of efforts, but it's worth any minute of pratice. Just a few minutes a day won't be of any help, give it a real try : Do an intensive meditation retreat and start meditating daily for 1 hour. It have a lot of other effects that will be great for your capacity to learn :
- Less self criticising
- Better mood
- Better slep paterns
- More focus in an healthier way...

One of the few things that can actually help permanently restructure the brain and improve executive (frontal lobe) functioning is meditation (specifically mindfulness meditation).

In terms of drugs, stimulants generally seem to have only a temporary (maybe a few years) effect.

You may not get further benefit on top of the ritalin with nootropics, but I'll move this thread over to PD forum as they may have more suggestions for you.
i accidentally lost my comment even though it was saying "auto saved" lol...
anyway i said that i knew about the benefits of meditation but that its so hard to me and then i just forget that i am meditating and thinking normal again. i should practice more, maybe it will help.. i hope so

aniracetam and choline. non-addictive and great for concentration
yes indeed choline and alpha-gpc, i have those but forgot about them, thanks :)
i'll try a lot more but last time i got some headaces but it was in combination with other nootropics. yes good idea the choline thanks.

I don't suppose that you've tried an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor like galantamine?
i do have galantamine and choline + galantamine capsules. i used it twice to induce lucid dreaming. this was some heavy shit and left me tired the next morning, with lots of waking up.
I haven't tried it during the day i think, i'm not sure though. i can imagine that this can be quite unpleasant in combination with other substances, so can i combine it with ritalin?

Like CFC, I recommand meditation to you. It will be a lot of efforts, but it's worth any minute of pratice. Just a few minutes a day won't be of any help, give it a real try : Do an intensive meditation retreat and start meditating daily for 1 hour. It have a lot of other effects that will be great for your capacity to learn :
- Less self criticising
- Better mood
- Better slep paterns
- More focus in an healthier way...

thank you, these benefits would indeed come in very handy. one hour is a lot but i think i can try.. do you have a direction where to start like an online guide or a few basic rules? i usually just focus on my breathing and sometimes keep repeating the same sentence in my mind.

Try going to structured classes - at least to begin with. For those with ADD meditation is understandably very difficult, doing it in a group can be very effective. Check out your local area for classes.

i do have galantamine and choline + galantamine capsules. i used it twice to induce lucid dreaming. this was some heavy shit and left me tired the next morning, with lots of waking up.
I haven't tried it during the day i think, i'm not sure though. i can imagine that this can be quite unpleasant in combination with other substances, so can i combine it with ritalin?

Oh yeah, it's definitely a great lucid dream inducer too. I think that's actually related to why I think it at least might help you too....

I'm not quite sure how it would mix with the Ritalin, I would definitely try it during the day on its own first to see how it effects you, but I can't imagine the interaction would be much. Galantamine is regularly prescribed without many complications and has been even somewhat investigated for ADHD. I also know that it has been given with amphetamine to block it's psychotic potential, so that would seem to suggest both that they can be mixed and that it might help with thought/sensory processing on stimulants as well.

Personally, I've taken galantamine during the day every day for about a month and had no side effects at all, neither physically nor on sleep. If you dose in the morning I doubt that it could have a huge impact on how you feel at the end of the day. Of course, you'll have to see for yourself if that's still the case when mixed with stimulants though.

Oh yeah, it's definitely a great lucid dream inducer too. I think that's actually related to why I think it at least might help you too....

I'm not quite sure how it would mix with the Ritalin, I would definitely try it during the day on its own first to see how it effects you, but I can't imagine the interaction would be much. Galantamine is regularly prescribed without many complications and has been even somewhat investigated for ADHD. I also know that it has been given with amphetamine to block it's psychotic potential, so that would seem to suggest both that they can be mixed and that it might help with thought/sensory processing on stimulants as well.

Personally, I've taken galantamine during the day every day for about a month and had no side effects at all, neither physically nor on sleep. If you dose in the morning I doubt that it could have a huge impact on how you feel at the end of the day. Of course, you'll have to see for yourself if that's still the case when mixed with stimulants though.

i've been using this combination for a week or so now, and it goes well together. galantamine + ritalin.
but still my mind is not what it should be. so easily distracted and so few motivation for important things!! its just who i am :)

My one piece of advice would be, the solution does not lie in chemicals.

That noted, meditation is what I would recommend.

^^^ i agree. meditation is bliss, I have personally found that Ginkgo Bilbao does wonders!!! but i have herd it is not for everyone i don't know much about it can anyone elaborate?