How to find an appropriate lawyer?

TheodoreRoosevelt

Bluelighter
Suppose somebody had two cases they needed a lawyer for; namely, a protection order case and a distribution of heroin case.

How would one go about finding a good lawyer for each case?

Hypothetically, let's assume this is in Virginia.

Last edited by a moderator:
NEVER hire one that a judge may recommend. You will get FUCKED. Happened to me very young age in a misdemeanor case.

www.martindale.com is a great resource for finding an attorney.

You would do best with an attorney who has an "AV" peer rating and documented experience in the area of law with which you need help.

Good luck to you in beating your charges. To the extent you're able (that is, to keep your privacy intact) would you please post an update? I have a strong interest in criminal defense law and it's somewhat of a personal research project for me to know what happens on both sides of the courtroom. /geek

If you know anyone who has successfully defended a family member or friend on the same or similar charges, word of mouth is a great resource. I have found in working for attorneys that if they can't handle the case themselves, an adept lawyer of any specialty will be able to recommend someone who can competently handle your case as a matter of general courtesy.

If they are in state court, your best bet is getting one that knows your judge really well ;)

In federal, your best bet is getting the best lawyer money can buy :\

There should be a few in your town that have a really awesome rep.

county court is state court. I would hire one who does alot of cases in that jurisdiction having a good relationship with the judge and prosecutor can make all the difference in the world.

If you do not feel comfortable with an attorney, trust your gut!

As a side note, sometimes it can be better to handle your case pro se as to an appointed court attorney. I booted my court appointed for a juvinille neglect charge (from when me and ex got arrested for DV) and he just was not doing shit! I was at the time as well handling my divorce on my own. We went to a justice proceeding, told the judge to dismiss my attorney, he asked if i knew what I was doing, said yes, and after that, I got better footing since I was aware of my case and concerned, and not being handled by someone who did not careless.

There is alot of footwork involved, but my judge has responded to me being pro se and KNOWING what I am talking about. He even complemented me in a hearing cause of my conduct and concern for it. So i handled a justice,divorce,and restraining order gracefully and came out well.

If you do not feel comfortable with an attorney, trust your gut!

As a side note, sometimes it can be better to handle your case pro se as to an appointed court attorney. I booted my court appointed for a juvinille neglect charge (from when me and ex got arrested for DV) and he just was not doing shit! I was at the time as well handling my divorce on my own. We went to a justice proceeding, told the judge to dismiss my attorney, he asked if i knew what I was doing, said yes, and after that, I got better footing since I was aware of my case and concerned, and not being handled by someone who did not careless.

There is alot of footwork involved, but my judge has responded to me being pro se and KNOWING what I am talking about. He even complemented me in a hearing cause of my conduct and concern for it. So i handled a justice,divorce,and restraining order gracefully and came out well.

No offense but that is horrible advice. Dude is facing a heroin distribution charge he is more than likly going to prison how long that is depends on getting excellent representation. A judge will not like him representing himself and slowing down the wheels of justice so to speak. Judge will think "punk smartass drug dealer maximum sentence."

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the best local DUI attorney I could at an AA meeting. Maybe outside of an NA meeting would be a good place to inquire about local attorneys.

I found the best local DUI attorney I could at an AA meeting. Maybe outside of an NA meeting would be a good place to inquire about local attorneys.

That's actually pretty good advice. Just be sure to be very hypothetical, don't go saying "SUP DOOD I HAD DRUGS R U A LAWYER??????111"; Probatees (is that the right word?), parolees, people on diversion, etc., are ordered to attend NA meetings, and I would definitely not be surprised if there were a few plainclothes (or not) cops in or around the meeting area, making sure people go to the meetings as ordered, or even watching for illegal activity (I mean, it is a gathering of people who admit to using drugs.)

:) Be safe, but I actually really like that tidbit from Thomwin.

No offense but that is horrible advice. Dude is facing a heroin distribution charge he is more than likly going to prison how long that is depends on getting excellent representation. A judge will not like him representing himself and slowing down the wheels of justice so to speak. Judge will think "punk smartass drug dealer maximum sentence."

actually no, had you read the details in the message.

You can get criminal attorneys assigned by the judge who just do not give a rats ass! Now please explain to me, if you have a public defender who doesn't care about your fate, you just wanna sit and watch said judge give "punk smartass drug dealer maximum sentence"

There is alot of work into it. Most courthouse do offer legal aide. In my state attorneys have to contriubute x amount of pro bono work (or donate pay equal to it) so they will usually help discuss law and other stuff.

Take my advice how you like, I am offering additional help. Before you feel like I do not understand the weight in this, that justice court scenario I talked about earlier.....had I been found guilty I would have lost ALL AND ANY LEGAL RIGHTS I HAD TO MY TWO CHILDREN!

Thank you.

actually no, had you read the details in the message.

You can get criminal attorneys assigned by the judge who just do not give a rats ass! Now please explain to me, if you have a public defender who doesn't care about your fate, you just wanna sit and watch said judge give "punk smartass drug dealer maximum sentence"

There is alot of work into it. Most courthouse do offer legal aide. In my state attorneys have to contriubute x amount of pro bono work (or donate pay equal to it) so they will usually help discuss law and other stuff.

Take my advice how you like, I am offering additional help. Before you feel like I do not understand the weight in this, that justice court scenario I talked about earlier.....had I been found guilty I would have lost ALL AND ANY LEGAL RIGHTS I HAD TO MY TWO CHILDREN!

Thank you.

Dude I read your post I wasnt trying to be a dick. I was just trying to say that most people should not consider representing themselves. Also a custody case and a heroin distribution case are about as far apart as it gets. A judge is not going to be like oh he is showing interest in his drug case lets mitigate his sentence. We are alll trying to help thats what posting in here is all about. You do raise an excellent point about a panel attorney as opposed to a public defender maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in about when these can be requested or however you attain one.