How to Deal with Verbal Abuse

Michael_25

Bluelighter
I'm abused on a near-daily basis. Additionally, people laugh in my face as they view me as a stupid joke, and therefore not warranting respect. I've been called "retard", "freak", "weirdo", "moron", "slow", and so forth for a long time now. I'm slow on the uptake so I don't respond immediately -- it takes a little bit to soak in. Not surprisingly, it's eroded my self-esteem and confidence. I can either A) retaliate in kind, B) ignore it and carry on. I've been going with "B".

Again, these are not isolated incidences. I've even been mocked by so-called health professionals by way of laughter when they speak to me. I have a diagnosis of schizophrenia but I'm quite sure most of these remarks are real, not auditory hallucinations. I want to be treated as an equal, not some freakish anomaly.

How would you guys deal with such bullying? I could say, "Dude, what did you just call me?!" But what would that result in? They would just deny any wrongdoing. Hence I let it slide (and because I'm not quick on my feet).

I'm abused on a near-daily basis. Additionally, people laugh in my face as they view me as a stupid joke, and therefore not warranting respect. I've been called "retard", "freak", "weirdo", "moron", "slow", and so forth for a long time now. I'm slow on the uptake so I don't respond immediately -- it takes a little bit to soak in. Not surprisingly, it's eroded my self-esteem and confidence. I can either A) retaliate in kind, B) ignore it and carry on. I've been going with "B".

Again, these are not isolated incidences. I've even been mocked by so-called health professionals by way of laughter when they speak to me. I have a diagnosis of schizophrenia but I'm quite sure most of these remarks are real, not auditory hallucinations. I want to be treated as an equal, not some freakish anomaly.

How would you guys deal with such bullying? I could say, "Dude, what did you just call me?!" But what would that result in? They would just deny any wrongdoing. Hence I let it slide (and because I'm not quick on my feet).
Secretly record these interactions, and listen to them after the fact.
Check if you find that those words really have been spoken.

Secretly record these interactions, and listen to them after the fact.
Check if you find that those words really have been spoken.
It's tricky. I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia over 10 years ago. However, the laughter IS real -- no two ways about it. It just seems very real. Maybe recording interactions would help. It's worth a shot. Thanks, Phobos.

laugh it off. "Haha, whatever"

also, maybe hit the gym and work out so people are less willing to do so because they are scared.

What meds are you on now? I had hallucinations similar to that when i had psychosis years ago.

I have schizophrenia, part of what your hearing is THEIR personal demons. Meaning being a shifty person is it's own punishment.

If they make you so mad you don't want to hold it on, use the truth against them, then go silent.

No idea I would have dropped them to the ground by now hope you pull through definitely not solved with violence

Let me try to reason more I suppose

I'm saying now I would slam someone like a wrestler or Judo psycho impulsively or worse

When I was younger I couldn't stand up for myself I think it still impacts me to this day so maybe I'm overreacting don't take it personally get away from those people if you can

The Four Agreements comes to mind reading this by Don Miguel Ruiz

Thanks for the advice, fellas. I can't afford to waster my energy on random strangers so I let it pass. Now, if I had a colleague who was doing this shit daily, It'd say "What the fuck is your problem, dude?!"

I brush off comments from strangers, because what will confronting strangers daily do? No much. Hence I don't do shit. I don't have to stoop to their level.

This is just another part of your delusions, having read your posts for years now I’m confident it’s all in your head. Please for the love of god DO NOT lash out, these poor people are probably doing nothing wrong. You have schizophrenia, yet you are “certain” none of this is in your head…

-GC

Thanks for the advice, fellas. I can't afford to waster my energy on random strangers so I let it pass. Now, if I had a colleague who was doing this shit daily, It'd say "What the fuck is your problem, dude?!"

I brush off comments from strangers, because what will confronting strangers daily do? No much. Hence I don't do shit. I don't have to stoop to their level.

I don't know what is being said to you as I am not there.
What I can say is that I have known people with diagnoses similar to yours that would think I said something nasty to them when I wasn't, or when I wasn't even talking about them at all.

Please be open to the possibility that what you described in this thread might not actually be happening.

I don't know what is being said to you as I am not there.
What I can say is that I have known people with diagnoses similar to yours that would think I said something nasty to them when I wasn't, or when I wasn't even talking about them at all.

Please be open to the possibility that what you described in this thread might not actually be happening.
Yes, it is possible that these are hallucinations, as my Psychiatrist(S) I say. But I don't think it's all in my head, but maybe much is ...
No idea I would have dropped them to the ground by now hope you pull through definitely not solved with violence

Let me try to reason more I suppose

I'm saying now I would slam someone like a wrestler or Judo psycho impulsively or worse

When I was younger I couldn't stand up for myself I think it still impacts me to this day so maybe I'm overreacting don't take it personally get away from those people if you can

The Four Agreements comes to mind reading this by Don Miguel Ruiz
Yeah, I don't want to resort to violence. There are no winners. If anything, I would approach the person in a diplomatic fashion. Violence is not warranted, unless one's physical safety is at risk (e.g.. getting threatened with a dude brandishing a knife). Otherwise, no matter how verbally nasty one is, violence is NOT the solution.
laugh it off. "Haha, whatever"

also, maybe hit the gym and work out so people are less willing to do so because they are scared.
I've been laughing it off for a while now. Safest thing to do. I'm not going to approach every tom, dick and harry.
This is just another part of your delusions, having read your posts for years now I’m confident it’s all in your head. Please for the love of god DO NOT lash out, these poor people are probably doing nothing wrong. You have schizophrenia, yet you are “certain” none of this is in your head…

-GC

True ... I think AT LEAST some of it is real, and the rest is my mind playing tricks on me. I do NOT lash out at people. When i hear a snide remark I brush it off, don't bother with it, and continue on my way. Being insulted in some form is shitty, but if it's coming from strangers then who cares what they think. They're not worth the hassle, just continue on my merry way. I'm actually a pretty passive, laid-back dude that doesn't approach random people regarding "possible" insults. I'd feel bad if I gave someone a tongue-lashing when they did not say shit about me.

As i mentioned in the first post, I have been will still ignore these comments and carry on without reacting, as I may be wrong, and also even if I were right, I couldn't really resolve things, so just march on, I tell myself.

One million percent feel free not to answer...in fact, I won't ask, but it makes a difference...if you ARE actually mentally retarded or in some way intellectually disabled, then what these people are doing is discrimination and I'd definitely report them (especially coming from someone like a medical professional)...I like advise someone gave to record them. So you have evidence.
If you're not, then they're just run of the mill assholes and I'd try and cut them out of your life if you can. But never respond physically to someone who hasn't been physical with you. I say this for your benefit, not theirs (bullies deserve whatever they get IMO) as then you could be the one who gets in trouble.

I'd check your meds etc, too and recording would also help you check. I have schizophrenia, too, and it can be VERY difficult to tell whether you're hallucinating or not. Those types of things do sound a lot like paranoid delusions, too.

One million percent feel free not to answer...in fact, I won't ask, but it makes a difference...if you ARE actually mentally retarded or in some way intellectually disabled, then what these people are doing is discrimination and I'd definitely report them (especially coming from someone like a medical professional)...I like advise someone gave to record them. So you have evidence.
If you're not, then they're just run of the mill assholes and I'd try and cut them out of your life if you can. But never respond physically to someone who hasn't been physical with you. I say this for your benefit, not theirs (bullies deserve whatever they get IMO) as then you could be the one who gets in trouble.

I'd check your meds etc, too and recording would also help you check. I have schizophrenia, too, and it can be VERY difficult to tell whether you're hallucinating or not. Those types of things do sound a lot like paranoid delusions, too.
Many years ago, just before I started college, I was worried that I might not have the smarts to succeed, and consequently flunk out. So I saw a clinical psychologist prior to starting college and I was given the WASI test. Now, I'm no genius by anyone's standards. But I did score in the "High Average" range. I remember my verbal IQ was at the 95 percentile. The other part of the test (I can't remember its name) put me at a lower percentile -- 55 (i.e an average joe score.) My full 4 IQ was, if i remember correctly, is at the 82 percentile (i.e. high average, as I wrote above).

The people who make these disparaging -- if they are actually are making such remarks -- don't know me. By and large, they're complete strangers who have never once spoken to me. Therefore, I just continue on my merry way. As I stated in a foregoing post, it's simply not worth reacting to; it's their problem, not mine.

I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this.

I've been verbally abused my whole life from my alcoholic father, to high school bullies, girls calling me ugly/geek/freak, bosses & customers screaming at me, medical staff treating me like an idiot, cops harassing me for no reason, etc.

I go by what my therapist says: "When people put you down, it has a lot more to do with THEM than with you!".

Hang in there, my friend.
Dreamflyer
❤️