• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Paraphernalia How to clean a glass bubbler

Sensible1

Bluelighter
At my core I like smoking flower in joints. But as I got older I try to stay healthy so I recently switched to a glass bubbler pipe. I never had one before so I wanna know how to clean it. I take maybe 2 bowls a day and after a week it starts to stink up my house a little. It that about right for a glass pipe? Do you have to clean it once a week? When cleaning it I usually put it in a plastic bag with alchohol ( the rubbing type) and swish it around in there, but it dont quite get all the resin to come off. And Ideas to get it totally clean?

Ingredients
  • 2 cups (250 milliliters) tap water
  • 2 cups (260-265 milliliters) white or apple cider vinegar
Materials
  • Metal tongs with rubber pads
  • Small bottle brush
  • Small saucepan
  • Stove
  • Towel
Directions
  1. Add the water, vinegar, and bubbler to the small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer or the lowest setting on the stove. Warning: Never place a cold pipe into boiling water. It will crack.
  2. Let the water simmer for 1 hour or until the water becomes dark amber.
  3. After 1 hour, gently pick up the bubbler and swish it around in the water to dislodge any plugs. Using a bottle brush, gently scrub the bubbler while plunged in the vinegar water.
  4. Gently remove the glass and rise under warm running tap water. Place onto a towel to cool and dry completely before use.

bubblers are tricky.... key is to not let them get dirty in the first place.... especially if they are intricate and have twists/turns

do NOT boil in hot water... I broke 2 this way from stress fractures... regular iso alcohol and salt will clean them it just takes awhile (and multiple cleaning sessions) compared to a bong/pipe

I have been using rubbing alcohol (propanol) and paper towel and or qtips to clean my one hitter.
Sometimes I scrape together the honey goo first (for a puff) and then clean the pipe.

Smelly used to be a problem before i found BC Bubble Hash (the only one with zero smell now or later)
still we have to clean out the goopy dark material or the pipe clogs, becomes hard to draw on, and then clogs more.

rubbing alcohol

table salt

fill it with these things

shake it around over the sink and shit

rinse with warmish water and repeat until it's clean

I’m no longer able to do this as I’m no longer working, but....putting glass pieces inside of a bigger glass container, fill the biggerco Rainer up with sulphuric acid submerging the glass piece by adding enough acid to cover it, place the container into a jewelry’s sonicator and turn that on for an hour.

it’s dangerous to do this (safety goggles, skirt and acid spill kit on hand) and really not practical outside of a lab, but this makes the glass cleaner than new.

Safest way to clean these hard to clean bubblers at home is with isopropyl alcohol (the greater the strength the better) and common table salt.

1) put a couple of tablespoons of salt inside your bubbler.
2) Add a few ounces of isopropyl alcohol and cover the openings (if possible) with a bit of Saran Wrap and a rubber band.
3) Shake until the isopropyl alcohol does not look like it’s going to get any dirtier and empty it. Add fresh isopropyl alcohol and repeat the shaking/draining process until it looks as lean as you want.
4) Fill the bubbler up with water, shake to dissolve any remaining salt and empty. Repeat with water until there is no visible salt left. Rinse once more.

The Isopropyl alcohol/salt is a good cleaner/gentle abrasive. This is actually sold on several formulas as ‘glass cleaner’, but it’s cheaper to cobble together the stuff yourself.

Tom

You just get that 420 cleaner. Isopropyl alcohol and salt as well, however I am lazy and like the blue stuff. You will save a few bucks via the salt method.

I usually get the soak one. Soak it overnight. Run hot water through it and will brand new again. If its gross you may need to shake it up a bit and maybe do it again.

I actually reccomend acetone instead of isopropanol, it's a little cheaper and also dissolves tar more rapidly.

I recommend vegetable oil. See my post from a few moments back for details. I'm amazed its not been discussed. Works a charm.