• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How to avoid getting judged by a psychiatrist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuffinMuffins

Greenlighter
So I'm planning on finally looking into getting prescribed meds for what i suspect is add instead of only self-medicating. But I know what stimulants give me unwanted, negative reactions, and genuinely don't have an addictive problem with stimulants. I'd rather not give my psychiatrist the impression that I'm just there looking to get high, because I'm not. I feel like disclosing my drug history and namely my experience with various stimulants will give them that impression, but I'd also feel really stupid and irresponsible if I don't disclose relevant information.

Any advice on what to disclose? This is literally my first time seeking "help" and I'm just nervous about messing this up for myself guys. I have no idea how judgmental a psychiatrist might be if I disclose that information, and I'm nervous that if I say the wrong thing I'll be put on some "high risk of drug seeking, don't prescribe x medications" list shared among different psychiatrists or something. No idea how this works, treat me like I'm naive because in terms of legitimate "help" i am lol.

Complete honesty is always best in a doctor-patient relationship IMO

A doctor is going to judge you no matter what you do, if you get a professional doctor then they'll leave their judgements aside. I agree the best way to go about this is be honest if you truly want these meds for a legitimate medical problem.

I'm gonna close this, not really harm reduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.