• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How soon is it safe to drink after taking benzos?

IGEightyEight

Greenlighter
Possibly dumb question here, but I didn't find it addressed previously.

I suffer from severe anxiety and take both Valium (diazepam) and Xanax (alaprozam) on an as-needed basis, and not at the same time, to treat different types of anxiety. This has been going on for about six months, and in that time I've avoided alcohol as I know using them together is a good way to be unalive, and despite the anxiety, I like being alive. So anyway...yesterday I took 10mg of Valium around 6 PM. It's currently 8 PM where I am - i.e. 26 hours later (EDIT: spouse says they wrote down when I took it and it was actually 1 PM, so make that 31 hours) - and my nerves are bad enough that my stomach (the organ itself) is throbbing in pain. I could take Xanax since it's fast-acting...but it's not fast enough. I'm considering having a couple drinks to deal with the anxiety, which isn't ideal but at least it'll make me feel better within five or six minutes.

And now to my question: is there enough diazepam out of my system by now to be able to safely have a couple shots of whiskey? Long ago someone, not a doctor, told me if you've taken Valium it isn't safe to drink for 4 days. Anybody know the truth? Thanks all.

Last edited:
Yes it is fine to drink.

Unless large amounts of both are used or one has an unusual sensitivity to benzos and alcohol, low doses of benzos and alcohol will not result in death.