• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How "safe" are Butane Lighters when used with a heat-diffusing vaporizer pipe?

Egzoset

Bluelighter
How "safe" are Butane Lighters when used with a heat-diffusing vaporizer pipe?

Salutations everyone,

Two months ago i made the transition from a slow electric table device to the well-known VG pipe. After six weeks i started showing signs of contaminant intolerance which lasted for many days, things went back to normal for all practical purposes now. There's still some sensation in my nose when i vape on occasions so i'm begining to look for alternatives combining the power of fire (speed) with moisturizing while seeking a real contaminant-free "1 Hit" aroma/taste rich experience.

This passage supports my concerns:

No gas lighter is perfect and i'm no perfect operator neither (and "negligible" doesn't mean zero!).

As a result i believe it's resonable to limit exposition to potential contaminants so i'd be curious to know what feedback i can get from this Harm Reduction community.

Even if i take great care not to allow my butane flame to touch anything there's butane-related compounds in the cannabic stream it seems, so is it rare to encounter such (apparently) marginal sensitivity using a VG?...

:?

Salutations everyone,

Two months ago i made the transition from a slow electric table device to the well-known VG pipe. After six weeks i started showing signs of contaminant intolerance which lasted for many days, things went back to normal for all practical purposes now. There's still some sensation in my nose when i vape on occasions so i'm begining to look for alternatives combining the power of fire (speed) with moisturizing while seeking a real contaminant-free "1 Hit" aroma/taste rich experience.

This passage supports my concerns:

No gas lighter is perfect and i'm no perfect operator neither (and "negligible" doesn't mean zero!).

As a result i believe it's resonable to limit exposition to potential contaminants so i'd be curious to know what feedback i can get from this Harm Reduction community.

Even if i take great care not to allow my butane flame to touch anything there's butane-related compounds in the cannabic stream it seems, so is it rare to encounter such (apparently) marginal sensitivity using a VG?...

:?

You definitely have to heat the bowl longer with a VG (Vapor genie right?) then when you would just light a regular bowl of flowers. You can get a hemp wick, beeline brand is the biggest, but I would go for the thickest string you can find, and that will eliminate all risk of inhaling butane.

Salutations FreeHugs,

You definitely have to heat the bowl longer with a VG (Vapor genie right?)...

It's the wooden classic but i felt necessary to perform some major modifications: 2 "stones" instead of one with one metal screen in the chimney facing my bowl (for side-lighting) and another in between my pair of resized heat-diffusers (acting as a spacer). In previous versions i had to heat longer, i suspect this was a factor contributing to congestion followed by atypical sneezing: a lot of water wapor condensed on the inner wall of my PVC extension tube (e.g. cooling effect caused by sudden expansion of the cannabic stream)... More water would imply more contaminants, i believe, and it turns out my 3rd/last modded VG pipe (which doesn't require so much heating) no longer collects water near its mouthpiece while this also approximately corresponds to the end of that crisis for the most part.

In my opinion this personalized VG of mine happens to be excellent at sampling tasks and/or out of home: it's OKay as my Plan-B but my Plan-A failed after 25 months passed making circles around it - only to realize how DRY it really was. Consequently i'm in need for a vaporizer again and nothing i know got me thrilled so far (being aware of 210+ brands/models past/present/future)... Anyway, the vapo-pipe compresses my sessions to 12 -15 seconds at most (compared to minutes) and hence promotes aroma/taste quite a great deal, which is a rare/valuable feature i wouldn't wish to ruin with water accessories if i could as this washes away too much of the goodies for no good purpose to me.

As i recall my initial technique caused the bowl to become so hot it cured its wooden finish after plenty of fumes was released. Thanks to my extension tubing though i was still able to successfully climb the learning curve far enough to reach genuine satisfaction - the only pitfall being my apparent sensivity to potential contaminants...

...You can get a hemp wick, beeline brand is the biggest...

As a matter of fact i do have BeeLine hemp wick handy and as a result it did get fair consideration. Now that i've tweaked the pipe a bit maybe it's about time for me to check with the BeeLine avenue again. It was a good thing to remind me, i thank you for that.

=D

Last month i've attempted to get my hands on a Herb Iron but i found that the reseller didn't care to keep its corresponding glass heat-exchanger in stock (!!), otherwise i'd have tested electric heat on my VG 2+ weeks ago. At the moment i'm thinking of heat-exchangers that might fit the top (heat-collecting) sphere of that VG, those would have a "clean" air/vapour path in order to eliminate butane-originated compounds as a variable... It's no big issue to depend on butane as long as it won't be allowed to reach my mouthpiece, that's why i'm trying to look for concepts using a "Jet"/"Blue" flame instead. But then with no H2O being injected into the cannabic stream i'll end up requiring moisturization so here's my best option so far:

NSFW:
2zzospu.jpg

%)

Somehow i sense there might be some surprize waiting here too as my recent proposal illustrated above triggered hostile feedback elsewhere on the net... Go figure. Hot glass threatening to shatter when splashed with water is the main reason why i prefer this type of construction, in any case. Contaminated air would be concentrated in front of the (blue) torch zone while the fresh-air inlet comes from behind the Lotus vaporizer.

;)

But i definitely would prefer something i torch like the Supreme, because it's supposed to be a cleaner flame and the owner doesn't have to inhale while heating, as i recall.

=D

POP!

Time to revisit...

I'm still a fan of my customized VG Classic solution but these 2 alternatives started to attract my attention: Triihouse a while ago and NimbinVap more recently. Both are free of the VG pattent protecting intellectual property over use of SiC pucks with flames in a vaporizer, while i gather both avoid using heated dry-air alone to transport the goodies away: instead a hot stream of gas made of heated air + H2O + CO2 (and possibly including contaminants) will promtly thermalize the load for efficient delivery, providing beneficial moisture as a bonus. NimbinVap's internal structure though is the one that made me most hopeful for a better IH prototyping platform, as i'd like to experiment with hybrid IH/Self-Conditioning scenarios with IH pre-heating and butane flame vaporisation/inhalation to release a dense potent bouquet as the finale, using minimal lung effort...

zk278g.jpg

=D

I also use a Vapor genie, and I only use it with a torch lighter, because you get vapor much faster that way. with a regular lighter I sometimes tasted the gas, mostly when the lighter was running low on fluid, but with the torch, never. I also feel that in comparison to what I would've been inhaling while smoking (fullerenes, carbon monoxide, lots of other nasty stuff), some traces of butane won't be nearly as bad for my health.

Salutations BagSeed,

I also use a Vapor genie, and I only use it with a torch lighter, because you get vapor much faster that way.

It's been a slow/long progression for me but after a couple years i can finally claim that i've improved as a jet-flame lighter operator quite significantly.

Here's my butane torch:

9zn8n9.jpg

I keep 3 of those on the table, rotations help avoid overheating. None of the units i could find shares a very same sweet-spot, each is unique.

While on travel i once experienced total impossibility to find a local butane gas reseller, then out of despair i discovered if i reajusted the throttle screw(s) then i could manage to enjoy a few more tokes: it would light up again. Honestly i'd need to be quite short of options though to use a jetable.

...with a regular lighter I sometimes tasted the gas, mostly when the lighter was running low on fluid, but with the torch, never.

At 1st i couldn't stand the idea of using a torch with my VG Classic, the situation has reversed since then: i haven't lit a yellow flame in months. Blue is more powerful, hence causes less hesitation then leads to better dexterity, so utimately that's just cleaner, less prone to error somehow, etc.

...some traces of butane won't be nearly as bad for my health.

Well, IMO that matters *if* the operator will let his flame touch anything and generate soot, etc. My concern about the 15 ~ 30 ppm butane can contaminants mostly has to do with what it's supposed to be exactly: near-zero nitrogen wouldn't be the same as near-zero arsenic, evidently... All i know is it's filtered to remove as much contaminants as possible that came from deep down our planet's crust, including bits of comets fallen from space million years ago (hence i like to tag it "comet dust").

In the begining i thought maybe i was sensitive to minute amounts of such comet dust. In retrospective it's probable my frequent experiments resulting from multiple reconfigurations eventually caused over-exposure that's not normally encountered during typical use. Those who can use the VG pipe as is (without a pre-heating phase) wouldn't observe as much water condensation as i do i guess, because their butane consumption wouldn't be as important as mine and consequently their exposure levels wouldn't compare neither. Now that i'm done experimenting with a VG pipe i realize my butane reminescences increasingly became history a long while ago...

No "butane fumes" bother me these days, but it's an ambivalence thing... Dreaming of an optimized balance point between self-conditioning comfort and long-term safety i'd say.

Good day, have fun!! =D

Keen-Newport butane gas refills are the highest quality butane lighter refills available, it's sold under a few different brands, look for the 'near zero impurities' logo, they claim a maximum of 50ppm contaminants (1 in 20,000). No idea what's in the other brands, but they're over 50ppm, I heard some even add a smell to their butane. Butane shouldn't have a taste, whatever you tasted wasn't butane, more likely some sulphurous smell added to it.

I guess most of the contaminants will burn too & a torch/jet lighter should have a cleaner, hotter flame that doesn't leave any soot.

There are other possible combustion products from butane if it's less than ideal conditions, if the flame isn't getting enough oxygen (like with a standard lighter) then you'd be more likely to get some carbon monoxide & soot.

I doubt you need to worry about containments in the gas if you buy the best, even if it is arsenic (it's not), 50ppm is so low & the amount of gas used should be low too. You'd have to burn the lighter for a very long time to use 1 gram of gas that would have a maximum of a few micrograms of contaminant. Harmful contaminants are more likely to come from the pipe or the lighter itself. Hopefully they didn't use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromated_copper_arsenate or anything else nasty to preserve the wood in your pipe. Hopefully you didn't get a copy painted with lead paint.

Last edited:
Salutations DrGreenthumb,

Keen-Newport... 'near zero impurities'...

Locally i get the London, it's below 30 ppm i think. The Ronson was so terrible i felt necessary to purge multiple times using London butane gas instead. Last time i searched for some in Montreal i found small canisters with no filter makings, then finally a 7x Clipper can which i decided was certainly welcome on a temporary schedule.

Butane shouldn't have a taste, whatever you tasted wasn't butane, more likely some sulphurous smell added to it.

Proper burning of butane doesn't annoy me, it's beneficial because of the water vapor it generates. Even better: i believe such inlet moisturization actually improves the vaporization process taking place in my cannabic bowl. It smells when i lit or kill a flame near my nose, for example, or during a purge of the combustible tank. Butane is a solvant after all, as i recall. Maybe it's only an impression but the smell intensifies with longer delays between purges. I fear the gas is leaching synthetics inside or something. Please tell me it's only my imagination gone wild!...

:(

I guess most of the contaminants will burn...

Burned contaminants are still contaminants. Although it's easy to control degradation in delicate organic structures to render them comestible (e.g. while cooking) it's another story at an atomic scale where heavy metal remains heavy metal, etc. Even the virtues of sterilization are limited, the lesser contaminants the better!

...a torch/jet lighter should have a cleaner, hotter flame that doesn't leave any soot.

Yes, i can observe that routinely. However while using a blue flame with my modded VG pipe i must be careful to proceed promptly or i'll be smoking wood... ;)

...if it's less than ideal conditions...

That's my point and it was how i came to adopt a flexible tubing extension providing direct eye-contact on the front SiC puck and my blue flame. Additionally, i've shortened the sphere top by a couple mm after observing frequent self-extinguishing tendencies initially: the flame collector required just a tad more room to "breath" correctly i figure. In any case operation errors are under the exclusive control of the user himself, i've suggested ways to personalize a VG pipe but it could have been another product with similar butane heating... The Vapocane supported 2 modes, 1 where the clean exhaust of burned butane made contact with the lung path. It must have worked quite well in this mode except with a metal radiator in my pipe's heat-exchanger it would be possible to turn the front puck red using an auxiliary path separated from the main lung path exactly. A Vapocane does just that by design: pre-heat it and then stored energy works alone with no butane burning flame around. But this is glass and that's brittle, so i much prefer the NimbinVap concept. That one might provide the "ideal conditions" in terms of visual feedback and as a former newbie VG pipe user i recall that was a most determining factor, to see what we're doing!...

:\

...if the flame isn't getting enough oxygen...

That should happen to you if you attempt to turn a 4 mm thick SiC modded VG front puck red-hot sufficiently to have a toke from the collected heat + stored energy.

I doubt you need to worry...

I do because others do. I've started using the pipe 2 springs ago after all...

Harmful contaminants are more likely to come from the pipe or the lighter itself.

Jetables are no option if i can help it and i only buy filtered butane gas. I've seen one of my brand new units (from Canadian Tire) being filled with a Ronson bottle so it was necessary to repair that mistake once at home. Then i found this particular model has a weak screw attachment point that will break easily during a fall. I'd attempt to find something sturdier that is more predictible/reliable but i've experienced what i needed to acquire and butane burning for pre-heating purposes really corresponds to the "Plan-B" scenario as far as i'm concerned: the SiC puck should be pre-heated using an IH radiator to convert the injected energy packet into a burst of convective heat, with the cannabic bowl maintained wight below the "trigger" temperature via thermostatic (Curie effect) conductive heat (at the point of contact). Pre-heating would be performed in a matter of second using the power and versatility of an IH driver, then butane burning can contribute the final touch by providing both optimized transport convection heat (because of the water vapor) and consequently self-conditioning where convenient moisture is added to perform its own magic: a packet-burst of IH pre-energized water-potentiated vaping stream may be where i need to go next!...

8)

Hopefully they didn't use Chromated_copper_arsenate or anything else nasty to preserve the wood in your pipe. Hopefully you didn't get a copy painted with lead paint.

I've taste the wood and even its finish, evidently that's calling for enhancements but i guess this proof-of-concept has went a far stretch already!

Good day, have fun!! =D