• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

how much weed is wasted in sidestream smoke with the joint method?

burn out

Bluelighter
I like to smoke joints but recently ive been smoking weed little by little out of my one hitter and it seems to be lasting longer than wihen i smoke the joints. Does the lack of sidestream smoke really make that much difference? Should I quit smoking joints/

If you smoke less, you'll save more. Simple as that, really. I do love a good joint, but nowadays I treat it more as a delicacy and almost always smoke out of a bowl or (moreso lately) a one-hitter. I can't give you a scientific answer about how much product is wasted through "sidestream smoke" (I like that term, btw), but it seems logical to suggest that some is; how much, I couldn't say.

I will say that, ever since I stopped rolling joints, I can make a half last upwards 6-8 weeks. I get plenty high everyday, for the record. Joints are useful for public settings, due to the lack of paraphernalia, and they are fun for group situations, but lately I've kept my tolerance down and my finances up through this means.

I can make a half last upwards 6-8 weeks.

8o

That's a quarter of a gram per day, on average. Can you..... can you teach me?

I'd love to get plenty of high every day off of just two bowls. :(

OP! Just do your thing, bro. Joints are cool, one-hitters are cool, bongs are cool, pipes are cool, blunts are cool.... whatever you wanna do, man.

There's no easy way to quantify how much smoke is lost through a joint or blunt, but it's a hell of a lot more than through a pipe, bong or one-hitter. On the other hand, a joint or blunt is going to get you way higher, way faster than a pipe, bong or one-hitter will. You just go through a bit more weed in the process.

Everything's got it's pros and cons. If you've got enough weed, there's nothing wrong with joints... nothing wrong at all. If you're trying to conserve, stick with your li'l itty bitty one-hitter.

Last edited:
If you wanted to do a proper experiment set it up like this.

1) roll a joint of measured weight taking the weight of both the weed and the paper so like Weight of W (weed) weight of P (paper) where the total is P+W=T

2) Then allow the joint to burn passively for a minute after igniting the end portion fully. Make sure its an even minute interval so you can do the math to get the "weed per second lost" as that is your goal.

3) take the weight of T (total) undo the joint as best you can to take the weight of W (weed) and (P) paper to ensure that the weight of the 2 equals the weight of T you took before (to figure out the loss in removing the weed)

4) find the difference in weight for the weed between the start and the finish. If you used a minute divide that by 60 to get the weed per second loss.

Use your standard "weed per second loss" to figure out the amount of weed lost when your friend holds the joint for second intervals so your end equation is up like

weed lost per hold = [W {(beginning) - W (end)} / 60 ] * (seconds in hand)

There you go, i am having a slow day at work but didnt check my maths if someone else wants to go for it. The general idea is that you will find it to be way less then you thought... i think i have never done it ;)

Could you do the experiment for me? I don't have a scale. I think it would be really cool if you did experiments like this and posted to the forum.

I like to smoke joints but recently ive been smoking weed little by little out of my one hitter and it seems to be lasting longer than wihen i smoke the joints. Does the lack of sidestream smoke really make that much difference? Should I quit smoking joints/

anything rolled is usually considered wasteful. vapes/bongs/pipes >> joints/bluntz =D

that sidestream smoke is your precious herbs being consumed by the wind ;)

8o

That's a quarter of a gram per day, on average. Can you..... can you teach me?

I'd love to get plenty of high every day off of just two bowls. :(

I know, right? I'm pretty surprised by it myself, especially because I used to go through the same amount in maybe four days.

Lol @ "can you teach me?" It helps having a partner who doesn't tolerate a massive drain on our finances, not to mention a beady-eyed dry-mouthed stoner most of the day. Thankfully the quality of product we've been buying has gone up over the years, so it doesn't take much to get high. Plus, I'll go long periods of time each day without smoking, thanks to having two jobs.

On those days when I want a little more? A little kief and resin go a long way. Combining it with other drugs (DXM comes to mind) allows me to have more intense experiences than just smoking alone. Can't do that everyday, but so far it's worked for me.

Could you do the experiment for me? I don't have a scale. I think it would be really cool if you did experiments like this and posted to the forum.

Just buy coincidence I bought a pack of papers last night, I normally smoke blunts but my g/f is sick and I kinda quit cigs anyway, maybe I will just to answer this question a little bit more definitively. I figure I can even use some tobacco or something for the filler and roll like 0.2 on the end so I don't even waste weed.

We will see, lots of the time with projects I am lazy and procrastinate. Even in my personal life that trait from college follows me around lol

Just buy coincidence I bought a pack of papers last night, I normally smoke blunts but my g/f is sick and I kinda quit cigs anyway, maybe I will just to answer this question a little bit more definitively. I figure I can even use some tobacco or something for the filler and roll like 0.2 on the end so I don't even waste weed.

We will see, lots of the time with projects I am lazy and procrastinate. Even in my personal life that trait from college follows me around lol

But would weed and tobacco burn at the same rate? That also has to be a factor in this equation.
I would test this out myself, but personally I don't even get slightly high from a joint or a blunt. So, I just stick with my glass pieces.

Use raw papers they don't burn easy leading to it going out owned of up in smoke. Or the clear papers don't burn at all they melt to the pace the weed is burning.

But would weed and tobacco burn at the same rate? That also has to be a factor in this equation.
I would test this out myself, but personally I don't even get slightly high from a joint or a blunt. So, I just stick with my glass pieces.

You miss understood what i meant. I would fill 75% of the joints capacity with tobacco to minimize the loss of my weed in the trial and make it a more "budget minded effort" If you roll say a joint with 0.8g of tobacco at the mouth end and 0.2g of weed on the burning end, you can minimize the amount of weed i wont smoke subjected to burning material and resins by using a minimal amount of weed on the end. See what I am trying to say? Only the weed on the end is burning and the tobacco "filler" is used because weed is expensive and the lower part of the joint is not relevant to the experiment. If I had a white board I could draw a diagram of the experimental apparatus, which i now understand why they are required when you do a lab ;)

Also I may do a more modified version of this were it is done by percents so take the percent of the mass of the weed in relation to the paper and then find the "total burnt amount" using the percentage of weed in the burning mass to find the amount of weed lost by passive burning. Its not as precise but its less work and like i said i get lazy... especially when there is weed being smoked

Even if you smoke less smoking bwols will increase your tolerance because peak thc concentrations will be much higher than smoking a joint because there is no los of smoke and you inhale much more in one toke than you can with a joint.
I also noticed that the long term side effects of weed(lethargy,mild depression) are much worse with a bong than with joints so i wouldnt suggest it for long term use (6+ months) because you will notice that your bowls will get bigger and the frequences also gets higher and in the you smoke as much as you did with joints with more severe side effects.
The best is to take tolerance breaks(1 week every month)and you will get high of tiny ass joints again

Great thread...Through the years I've come to the realization that my tiny glass pipe is all I need. Their isn't really any " reggie" type bud in my area. So the potency is there, hence the pipe. I smoke almost 100% alone also. Of course social situations may arise where a Joint would be better. Its unbelievable how much a few co-workers go through in one day at work. My problem is continuously hitting my bowl when I KNOW I'm already blazed. And you can get the "sidestream" smoke from a bowl as well. It's usually still smoldering after a hit. Take 2 rips sit your bowl down and it ends up smoking itself. wth... :X I tap it out with my finger.