• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How much Valium for muscle strain? And compatibility with other meds

artist56

Greenlighter
Good afternoon! I am a new member, so pardon me if this isthe wrong place to post. Also pardon the length.

I am concerned about safe and effective doses for somethings. I am also on a bunch of medications for other reasons (gabapentin 900mg for nighttime restless leg syndrome, and nabumetone 500 mg for carpal tunnelsyndrome, Relpax for migraine, plus hydrocodone when I have a migraine ). I do not drink because itgives me migraines, and the agony ensuing from one glass of wine is just not worth it. I have not had a migraine for over 2 weeks so have not taken the Relpax.

I tore my right knee cartilage in August of 2015. I amundecided yet if surgery is the route I want to take. I was told that if I didwell at 8 weeks of physical therapy, I could avoid surgery. I initially didwell and could then walk better and with less pain. I took naproxen sodium forit daily (other analgesics didn’t seem to work) plus 5-10 mg of hydrocodoneoccasionally if I had a lot of walking or standing to do that day.

But shortly into it, some of the exercises seems to cause amuscle spasm or pulled muscle in my rightupper thigh. The therapist thought it was the hip flexor muscle. I would haveto lay off the exercises til it got better. Sudden movement also seems totrigger it: like if I trip and have to suddenly catch my balance: that jerkingof the leg really does it. I have neuropathy of the feet so I trip more thanmost people do. Again, I have to lay off the exercises. I finished the 8 weeksof PT a couple of weeks ago, with little to show for it, as half the time I wasunable to do the exercises.

Last week I triggered this hip/thigh strain big time. Thistime I don’t even recall how I did it, I had not done the physical therapyexercise for 5 days, so that was not it. Nor had I tripped. The pain was worsethan the torn knee cartilage ever was. I tried both naproxen sodium and 10 mgof hydrocodone with no effect.

I have now been housebound for 4 days. I walk like a robot,an inch at a time, as anything that involves the muscles of the front thigh isexcruciatingly painful. The pain was actually spreading, which I believe is dueto the fact that I am moving very little and all the muscles are tightening up.I am having to stay seated 95% of the time. I was used to a certain amount ofexercise daily, plus once a week weight training. I am self employed andnormally all over the place all day long. I cannot get downstairs to myworkroom. I have to lift heavy objects. Now I have to carefully consider justhow badly I really want to go to the bathroom, and is it worth the 10 minuteshuffle to get there. I am sore all over from not being able to move much.

I have to wait 3 weeks to get in to see the doctor who isdealing with the knee injury. A friend who had a serious injury some years backsuggested Valium. I have an old bottle leftover from a doctor who prescribed itfor something that didn’t work. I googled valium for muscle strain or spasm andcouldn’t find anything really informative.

I tried 5mg, and felt nothing. An hour later took another,again nothing. Tight and painful as ever. Then I took another 5mg, stillnothing: decided that was all I could risk. I had no hydrocodone in my systemat the time, as it had not worked anyway. I did not experience any drowsinessat all. Completely alert and able to do paperwork. I took my usual 900 mg nighttime gabapentin, then it was time for bed.

But when I got up this morning, some of the overall leg tightnesswas gone. Though I am still walking like a robot, the pain is more localized tothe injury areas, and not spread all over the leg like before. I am hoping nowit will have a chance to heal. When I see the doctor, now I am going to ask togo ahead with the knee surgery, as something about this knee injury keepscausing the hip flexor/thigh thing to keep flaring up, and that will seriouslyimpact my life if I can barely move and can’t work.

So….How much valium is a reasonable dose to keep this relaxed?And, how compatible is it with naproxen sodium, gabapentin, nabumetone, (andhydrocodone should I need that for a migraine or for my knee)?

My priority is to get this injury healed. Theonly one I would have trouble doing without is the gabapentin, as I would havea totally sleepless night without it. Anything else I can skip while takingvalium if it is advisable to do so. The muscle pain/strain makes everything else pale in comparison. Thank you.

Soory about the words that are run together. I was unable to get them to separate on the edit page, as they looked normal there.