• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom How much Kratom should you take to obtain opioid/pain relief

trebo126

Greenlighter
I have chronic back pain and have had 3 back surgeries. Recently my pain has been getting worse.
I have been taking Kratom for 3 years or so. I was taking 6 grams, which was effective for managing my pain, but has not been doing as much recently.
How often can you take Kratom without the side effects, primarily nausea and vomiting. What is the ideal amount to take to obtain the pain relieving effects.

I have chronic back pain and have had 3 back surgeries. Recently my pain has been getting worse.
I have been taking Kratom for 3 years or so. I was taking 6 grams, which was effective for managing my pain, but has not been doing as much recently.
How often can you take Kratom without the side effects, primarily nausea and vomiting. What is the ideal amount to take to obtain the pain relieving effects.
You probably have a tolerance after three years. You could try bumping your dose up a gram or two.

My tolerance to Kratom got so high that at one point I was taking 25g four times daily (100g/day, 1kg every ten days).

You probably have a tolerance after three years. You could try bumping your dose up a gram or two.

My tolerance to Kratom got so high that at one point I was taking 25g four times daily (100g/day, 1kg every ten days).
Yeah I’ve been trying an extra gram. It’s weird, sometimes it feels like it’s working and other times I barley feel anything.

That’s an outrageous tolerance man! Don’t you start to feel nauseous and throw up at some point?
Were you taking it for pain relief or for energy?

How come I was on a stable and effective dose for that long without taking more?

Last edited:
It’s weird, sometimes it feels like it’s working and other times I barley feel anything.
Kratom can be weird like that. Some days it hits, other days it doesn't. Lots of factors can contribute.

Bad batches going around as well. What a vendor sells under a label may differ from month to month.

Switching strains can help mitigate this.

Hey @trebo126

If your pain is increasing, upping your dose of Opioids is not the best solution. Going this route will most likely lead to temporary relief, followed by increased tolerance, greater dependence and finally, the pain returning. It's not the solution.

I would highly advise you to seek out alternatives for your pain. My Dad struggled with lower back pain for years. He though it would always be a problem. He ended up trying yoga and he hasn't had back pain since. I'm not saying Yoga is the solution to your problem, but I want you to know that solutions are out there.

Perhaps you can raise your Kratom dosage. I would only do this if you're also prepared to try other avenues of relief. Most people who decide to raise their dose end up with more problems than when they started.

Very true what Kief and SNAFU stated..

I've found Kratom to be a great tool but unfortunately you have to keep taking it so you don't feel like shit. Eventually you will hit a ceiling where it's just not worth the hassle of putting your, mind, body(IME the gut rot)and spirit through such BS just to pacify.

In all reality the Kratom could be the reason your pain seems stronger now along side with the Kratom feeling weaker(tolerance, different batches/strains). You may benefit a great deal to give yourself a tolerance break and in this way you can localize the actual pain and see if continuing Kratom to be a solution, which in most cases it's probably best to use it a bit less and have moderation, and you may find that perfect balance between pain relief and dosing.

About 10-20 grams every other day seems sustainable for me. I don't get any tolerance and if i quit the routine i don't get withdrawal symptoms except bowel symptoms.

Perhaps this is a better route for you, too. You will have to deal with days off, but the stuff will really work when you do use it. Then of course, not everyone has the same metabolism and you may need even more infrequent dosing to keep tolerance low.

About 10-20 grams every other day seems sustainable for me. I don't get any tolerance and if i quit the routine i don't get withdrawal symptoms except bowel symptoms.

Perhaps this is a better route for you, too. You will have to deal with days off, but the stuff will really work when you do use it. Then of course, not everyone has the same metabolism and you may need even more infrequent dosing to keep tolerance low.

I would highly advise you to seek out alternatives for your pain. My Dad struggled with lower back pain for years. He though it would always be a problem. He ended up trying yoga and he hasn't had back pain since. I'm not saying Yoga is the solution to your problem, but I want you to know that solutions are out there.
Quick study read

I hope this helps

I had really bad lower back pain for decades and had meds to alleviate it. Finally one doctor sent me to physical therapy at a clinic that specializes in athletic injuries where i was taught a regime of exercises, many of which are similar to some yoga positions. In my case these exercises helped to the point where I no lonnger need my meds. I understand that everyone is different and so is their injuries but at the same time I think that physical therapy/yoga is a real possibility for many.

One can try it and see if one is among those lucky numbers that find true relief through non drug means.

Yeah I’ve been trying an extra gram. It’s weird, sometimes it feels like it’s working and other times I barley feel anything.

That’s an outrageous tolerance man! Don’t you start to feel nauseous and throw up at some point?
Were you taking it for pain relief or for energy?

How come I was on a stable and effective dose for that long without taking more?
When I first started if I took too much it was awful. I got nausea, headache, and nystagmus.

I found that once I found my dose sweet spot small increases didn't make me feel ill. Like 1g up at a time.

I started taking like 8.5g per dose and ended up at 25g after a couple of years. Eventually it wasn't really working anymore and I made myself quit.

I had really bad lower back pain for decades and had meds to alleviate it. Finally one doctor sent me to physical therapy at a clinic that specializes in athletic injuries where i was taught a regime of exercises, many of which are similar to some yoga positions. In my case these exercises helped to the point where I no lonnger need my meds. I understand that everyone is different and so is their injuries but at the same time I think that physical therapy/yoga is a real possibility for many.

One can try it and see if one is among those lucky numbers that find true relief through non drug means.
I can say that I know someone that had the EXACT situation, was told they would give him pain meds for the rest of his life but did what you did and now they live a normal relatively pain free life

Switch strains and colors. It helps to keep it fresh..I use white and green maeng da or Malay. Usually mix them around 4-5 teaspoons flat total..about twice a day. So if I mix em I do half the dose of each combined to the full dose I would use of one. Careful u might get relief then throw up if u don't ease into it..I did a few days ago like I got a lot done around the house but then blahhhhh in the grass outside.

Lmfao that funny. I do get nausea when I take too much bu I have only had the extract and one bottle at a time and that did the trick, a little euphoria but def gets me out of withdrawals. whats the deal with non-extract leaf matter... ive heard its stronger? and cheaper?

Idk about the leaves I've heard u gotta chew a lot..the powder is what I've used mostly..or the capsules but takes too long for me to dissolve so powder mostly. Also I've tried one of the cheapest $8 kratom shots was a white shot with I think 65mg mit and it was good for a while. Light euphoria maybe similar to codeine if that.

The powder is most cost effective as far as I can tell..anywhere from about 14.99 to well into the $30s depending on brand and strain. The house brand I buy that my shop sells is the cheaper one around $20 and gives about 30grams I think total.

I also suffer from back pain. It's mostly just mild age- and occupation-related, but I have sciatica that flares up now&then too.
Many good suggestions were already made above. I'll add a couple of things:
  • Red kratom is usually best for pain-- I like Bali or Maeng Da. I'd stick to powdered leaf (mixed in a beverage or capsules) because I've heard wildly different reviews of expensive extracts and they are more likely to be adulterated.
  • How's your mattress? I got some relief simply by switching to a firmer mattress. Be sure to flip it over every 6 months or so. Also, I try to sleep on my back rather than my side like I used to.
  • How's your emotional health? Anxiety and/or depression can increase back pain. Is there anything or anyone in your life that is "a pain in the neck"?

I suffer from back, leg and heel pain. Found out yesterday after hearing the results of my MRI and my EMG test, there’s a possibility I might have to have surgery on my back. But sooooooo hoping it doesn’t come to that.

I’ve always used Red Bali for pain. But when I went to order from a company I really love, idiot me accidentally ordered powder instead of capsules which I’ve always taken. So the website said what to do for returns and exchanges. First, I had to call and ask for a label. I call them up and they were so nice about it. The man I talked to said instead of having to go through them mailing the label, then them goi g through inspection, then waiting on delivery times, he gave me a code and said if I was willing to pay shipping, he’d give me a code to get it in capsules instead free. Very nice, but….. now I’m stuck here with all this powder. I certainly don’t want to waste it. I’ve heard you have to have a machine to get the right amount in the empty capsules. Is this really true or can I pack them myself and get the right amount?