• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

How much is too much? (MDMA)

@innerpeace : Can i ask why you say not to use HTP? I've researched it and the general consensus i got is its great for the comedown but also advised to take it a few days before you plan to drop (with a day break) so your mind can get used to it and build up; apparently it increases the drop more. Which I want because i really want a boost.

5-htp is fantasic to use after your roll -I dnt recommend doing it the night you roll, wait a day for the afterglow and dose that day -maybe start at 100 and do that a couple daays or so and go down to 50 for a week or two The longer you abstain from rolling the longer you can take 5-htp. The reason i why to not take 5-htp before rolling- it increases serotonin , which makes the roll less effective. does that make sense from a brain chemisrty standpoint?

some guys in here would take l dopa a month or two before a roll and claim they rolled much better. L dopa increases dopamine and suppresses serotonin .

At my highest it was 200mg and I used to do wayyyyyy more than the recommendation (I did it at least every weekend). If you're using more than that you're going to burn your receptors. Average dose is 120mg.

agreed on burning receptors out

dont know my highest ive done triple stack tablets and double stacks back in 2000, which were claimed to be super potent.around florida think they might have came frm Miami I heard someone say when I bought them

I use half a gram every time I do it which is about once a month, sometimes more sometimes less but I try to not let it get more as I don't want to fuck with my tolerance too much. The only reason I do it so much now is because i'm in my last few months of uni! Thats why i'm looking into supplements to try and increase the drop which has obviously decreased through the amount i've used in the last 6 months-year.
Reading through the forum i'm starting to think half a gram is too much for me (Especially being 5ft1) but I guess I can't lower it now! I do get quite negative side effects though, which is again why i've been looking into supplements for the comedown and suicide tuesday which I pretty much always run into.

less is sometimes better with more love than dosing higher and getting a forced love with way more stimulation , some stimuation is good, but ive been where too much wasnt---anyne else experience this, on the high dosing?

5-htp is fantasic to use after your roll -I dnt recommend doing it the night you roll, wait a day for the afterglow and dose that day -maybe start at 100 and do that a couple daays or so and go down to 50 for a week or two The longer you abstain from rolling the longer you can take 5-htp. The reason i why to not take 5-htp before rolling- it increases serotonin , which makes the roll less effective. does that make sense from a brain chemisrty standpoint?

some guys in here would take l dopa a month or two before a roll and claim they rolled much better. L dopa increases dopamine and suppresses serotonin .

I thought that increasing the serotonin would be good so when i took the md i would get a bigger drop because all the serotonin had built up? Lol this is why i need these forums, im clueless!!

I thought that increasing the serotonin would be good so when i took the md i would get a bigger drop because all the serotonin had built up? Lol this is why i need these forums, im clueless!!

increasing serotonin before the roll makes the roll less effective. Someone that takes ssri's may not even get a roll.
make sure you havent done 5-htp for quite some time or ssri's before rolling does that make sense bc serotonin will be higher floating round and will get less release, and when its not as much floating around (supressing it some with l-dopa ) then more is stored to be released. something like that? Chemists help me out do I have this right?

imo 5-htp isnt that strong , esp at 50 mgs, the 200-300 mg can be I think, you could maybe do 200 the first night , idk? anyone? I always figured 100 mgs the firrst few days then going down to fifty for another week or so

5-htp still a good option afterwards and does help you feel better helping the get brain chemistry back to its normal genetic homeostatic (along with feeling a bit more cheery)

im about both having a great roll and recovering properly so I think l dopa a month every-night befoe the roll is a fantasic idea and 5-htp afterwards for two weeks is as well.

Last edited:
increasing serotonin before the roll makes the roll less effective. Someone that takes ssri's may not even get a roll.
make sure you havent done 5-htp for quite some time or ssri's before rolling does that make sense bc serotonin will be higher floating round and will get less release, and when its not as much floating around (supressing it some with l-dopa ) then more is stored to be released. something like that? Chemists help me out do I have this right?

the reason for ssris blocking the roll is different from that. mdma reverses the direction serotonin is transported in the synapse. so instead of the serotonin transporter getting the serotonin back inside the cell, the transporter shovels it outside into the synaptic cleft. when ssris block the transporter, that doesn't work anymore and you don't get the massive serotonin release you'd expect with mdma.

for serotonin/5-htp it's not quite so clear. having more serotonin available would be a good thing, but from reports we rather hear that taking 5-htp beforehand reduces the effects if anything. i'm sceptical about 5-htp either way, because (at least for the "supplements") the great majority of it is metabolised to serotonin (which cannot pass the bbb) long before it reaches the blood brain barrier. it's doubtful if any 5-htp makes it to the brain intact. if it got to the brain, my best guess to explain the reduced effects would be that there's more serotonin hitting the receptors leading to downregulation. but it's just a wild guess. we don't know :)

the reason for ssris blocking the roll is different from that. mdma reverses the direction serotonin is transported in the synapse. so instead of the serotonin transporter getting the serotonin back inside the cell, the transporter shovels it outside into the synaptic cleft. when ssris block the transporter, that doesn't work anymore and you don't get the massive serotonin release you'd expect with mdma.

for serotonin/5-htp it's not quite so clear. having more serotonin available would be a good thing, but from reports we rather hear that taking 5-htp beforehand reduces the effects if anything. i'm sceptical about 5-htp either way, because (at least for the "supplements") the great majority of it is metabolised to serotonin (which cannot pass the bbb) long before it reaches the blood brain barrier. it's doubtful if any 5-htp makes it to the brain intact. if it got to the brain, my best guess to explain the reduced effects would be that there's more serotonin hitting the receptors leading to downregulation. but it's just a wild guess. we don't know :)

Thanks for that the reverse serotonin, explains it well. do you feel 5 htp is a waste in the days and weeks following ?

I use half a gram every time I do it which is about once a month, sometimes more sometimes less but I try to not let it get more as I don't want to fuck with my tolerance too much. The only reason I do it so much now is because i'm in my last few months of uni! Thats why i'm looking into supplements to try and increase the drop which has obviously decreased through the amount i've used in the last 6 months-year.
Reading through the forum i'm starting to think half a gram is too much for me (Especially being 5ft1) but I guess I can't lower it now! I do get quite negative side effects though, which is again why i've been looking into supplements for the comedown and suicide tuesday which I pretty much always run into.

There is a shocking amount of stupid in this post O_O. Half a gram/month is too much to begin with, it'll only increase tolerance which is what you should always try and avoid with every drug I can think of. You realize that it probably is too much because you complain of side effects yet decide to keep dosing that high. The reason you keep doing this now is because you are almost finished with uni. Do you want to be an e-tard stuck in depression with little to no motivation just around the time you need to be ready to get on the (competitive) job market!?

Why not have a few months break and have a final blast out at the end of uni, when you've completed it? It'll fix your tolerance issue to some degree and make the experience more worthwile... Or if you must keep doing this every month, take a more "normal" dose and supplement with some weed, or ketamine or MXE to keep the high going.

In regards to 5-htp, as I understand (as a non-chemist) 5-htp builds up the serotonin which is stored, then the MDMA releases is which = happiness :) Which is why building it up for a few days, then stopping the 5-htp for the last day seems to be the thing everyone does.

As for dosages, the most I've ever taken was around 0.25g of crystals in Colombia (yes, the cocaine country) and didn't sleep for 3 days after... Not much depression or anything, just fucking horrible insomnia. Usually 120mg is plenty for me, on NYE had about that and was great.

There is a shocking amount of stupid in this post O_O. Half a gram/month is too much to begin with, it'll only increase tolerance which is what you should always try and avoid with every drug I can think of. You realize that it probably is too much because you complain of side effects yet decide to keep dosing that high. The reason you keep doing this now is because you are almost finished with uni. Do you want to be an e-tard stuck in depression with little to no motivation just around the time you need to be ready to get on the (competitive) job market!?

Why not have a few months break and have a final blast out at the end of uni, when you've completed it? It'll fix your tolerance issue to some degree and make the experience more worthwile... Or if you must keep doing this every month, take a more "normal" dose and supplement with some weed, or ketamine or MXE to keep the high going.

I didn't write on here to be judged, I asked for informed advice so keep your opinions to yourself please.
FYI I started on 1/3 because everyone around me did and I didn't know it to be 'too much' just the norm.

@black @innerpeace

Thanks for your advice about 5htp. I actually took 350mg (in 2 seperate amounts and night) at the beginning of the week following previous advice to build the serotonin up a week before the drop but have obviously stopped now thanks to you guys. May invest in l dopa too.
Helpful to have this kind of advice when I know absolutely nothing about brain chemistry!

Thanks for that the reverse serotonin, explains it well. do you feel 5 htp is a waste in the days and weeks following ?

current research points towards 5-htp being likely useless (without peripheral decarboxylase inhibitors) it has not conclusively been proven. even if it turns out to not make any difference, the placebo effect can be sometimes be surprisingly powerful and useful nonetheless. so if you have taken 5-htp and found it useful, then forget what i said an go ahead :).
personally, i don't get any depression after a night on mdma, so i've never felt the need to try 5-htp.

Last edited:
@black @innerpeace

Thanks for your advice about 5htp. I actually took 350mg (in 2 seperate amounts and night) at the beginning of the week following previous advice to build the serotonin up a week before the drop but have obviously stopped now thanks to you guys. May invest in l dopa too.
Helpful to have this kind of advice when I know absolutely nothing about brain chemistry!

you're welcome Im glad you are asking and want to learn and stuff. If Its pure mdma - 200 mgs max, were not trying to be difficult for you, we just are for responsible use and not abuse.

150-200 for most (pure) is a strong dose,
110-150 is for larger people
75-125 is a common dose and fit most people
60-90 small or sensitive people

Note that most Ecstasy and even crystalline MDMA is not 100% pure and may contain fillers or other drugs.

In your case id take a good 6 -12 months break and try again at maybe around 125 mgs. The reason I say this long of a break, after I abused the stuff , using it every weekend for months on end and sometimes eod, three times a week, I took a four month break and tried it again and I barely got any magic , just stimulation, and euphoria bu, the magic last like one wave though me and I knew when it was over-thats what abuse does. I tried the same batch two months later and got not one wave of magic, just stimulation, so from experience I would think you need to take a long break