• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How much diphenhydramine is too much?

prettycoolkaede

Greenlighter
I'm wondering how much (I'll probably be taking Benadryl) diphenhydramine would cause a fatal overdose. Thanks :)

The oral LD50 (minimum lethal dose for 50% of the population) of diphenhydramine according to its MSDS is:
500mg/kg for rats
114mg/kg for mice
284mg/kg for guinea pigs
The LD50 is for humans is not known, because obviously no one's going to perform a test that requires killing half of a human population sample. However, the current listed LDmin for humans oral dosing on the MSDS for diphenhydramine is 10.1mg/kg. But, being the LDmin, it is very unlikely that any normal healthy person would die from that amount. So, for example, if you weighed 50kg (110lbs), then the LDmin for you would be 505mg, and your LD50 would be between 5520mg and 25,000mg. But you should never push your dose all the way to the LD50 because then you have a 50% chance of dying. So you can do the math. Just stay as far away from the LD50 as possible. If you weigh between 100lbs and 150lbs, I would recommend you never take more than 1000mg in a 24 hour period. If you weigh between 150lbs or over, no more than 1200mg in 24 hours. But even those doses can be dangerous, especially if you plan on combining it with anything. And believe me when I say this: you don't even WANT to take more than 600mg at once. If you've never experimented with diphenhydramine, you might want to read up on what the "high" is like. Most people don't even consider it a high. Most people consider it nightmare.

I can say that in doses above 200mg for me the restless legs/creepy crawly feeling was not worth the sleepiness.