• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids How much can Gabapentin negatively effect you mood?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
It's fairly well known that Gabapentinoids (especially Pregabalin) can cause very negative effects on your mood and mental health (usually by causing depression, sometimes severely, and suicidal ideation)

I started Gabapentin a month ago and my G.P. has been slowly tapering me up to an effective dose. He actually refused my initial request for Pregabalin because it posed such a significant risk to my mental health. I have been having my Gabapentin increased very slowly on purpose because a) I am on opioids and other sedatives it can interact with and b) because I have a history of mental health problems including Psychotic Depression and suicide attempts.
I was started on 100mg 3 x day and am now on 900mg/day. I actually find it makes me feel mind-moderate euphoria (especially when take with an both potentiators and an opioid) and in a general very *good* mood.

Has anyone experienced depression or other effects detrimental to mental health due to being on a Gabapentinoid? What dose did it happen at?

Gabapentin is working wonders for both my neuropathic pain (the reason I take it) and anxiety (an awesome side-effect) and I don't have a bad word to say about it, but today it was increased from 600mg/day to 900mg/day and my doctor re-warned me of these dangers and said to call straight away if I needed help.

I found myself highly motivated on it at the start, it also helped my nerve pain hugely!

However, over time I noticed the side effects. I gained a ton of weight, like 15KG in a year and I wasn’t eating an awful lot. I did need to gain weight but not that much.

I started forgetting words and shit, short term memory stuff, had loads of brain fog and what not, it just felt fuzzy eventually in my brain. Like wool.

Tolerance develops super fast with gabapentin, eventually what I was on wasn’t working, I ended up on the max amount a day which was 3600mg and it stopped working. Was a bitch to get off because it caused awful withdrawals but once I got off it the weight dropped off and my brain is fine again.

Gabapentin is a good med for short term use, long term I don’t think it’s a good option.

Was prescribed Pregabalin a few years ago

After taking ONE 50mg (or was it 75?) I had to go sit in a mates house for hours as I did not trust myself to not suicide

Fuck that noise - never took another!

I have and take on occasion gabapentin / pregabalin / phenibut / baclofen

I like gabapentin actually....very opioidesk. I usually take it with my Methadone and cannabis

I only take it “as needed” same with Phenibut (don’t really take baclofen of pregablin). I prefer gabapentin for some reason....especially if I’ve done Ritalin or Vyvanse during the day....a little gabapentin at night with cannabis is really mellow and nice.

but taking high doses daily, for extended periods of time....no thanks, asking for trouble. I’ve read stories by many of horror withdrawals and tolerance builds quick, etc.

Phenibut once a weekend 1.5g - 2g if it’s a nice sunny sat/sun and I’m out all day doing something fun.
Gabapentin maybe twice a week as needed when I need to take the edge off and mellow out.

Maybe try taking a 300mg capsule as needed and not 3x daily, every day....it could loose its effectiveness and you’ll need to up the dose, higher and higher.

that’s just me though...you will have your own requirements and needs.