• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How many people feel weed makes you egotistical?

da.vee.doh

Greenlighter
I am in my 60s and am trying out weed again after many years. I took a big hit the other night and realized perhaps why I stopped. Egoism and paranoia. I see a lot of people say they get paranoid but never explicitly state what their paranoid thoughts are. For me, with other people, I would (think) that I was seeing through the mask of personality to their actual egotistical selvs. When I was young with a group of people I could become almost catatonic with these kind of insights. This can especially be true in college and you are reading psychology and philosophy which encourages intellectually to look beneath the surface. I was actually a very shy and modest person but what I thought I would see was the actual psychological motivations of other people and myself unmasked and it would frighten me.
So I wonder, how many old time pot heads out there who experienced this deal with it? I introduced one friend to pot and he really took to it but then became more assertive-aggressive and less of a "nice person".

On the other hand, for me mushrooms, or its synthetic equivalent 4-ACO-DMT, makes me feel more connected to the world.

Hey @da.vee.doh - welcome to Bluelight yah old fart! We have many people your age here, and older, believe it or not.

Anyway i know what you mean. I wouldn't call it "egotistical", just heightened awareness with a side of.. arm chair therapy.

It's just that you paint your marijuana experiences as something that happens only with other people while at the same time sounding very much like an introvert.

I generally avoid people for reasons you listed and do that even when I'm not high.

Hey @da.vee.doh - welcome to Bluelight yah old fart! We have many people your age here, and older, believe it or not.

Anyway i know what you mean. I wouldn't call it "egotistical", just heightened awareness with a side of.. arm chair therapy.
I guess I am disappointed my post did not get more response and am disappointed in the level of discourse here. Do you know of another forum where people discuss their reactions in a more articulate manner and seek insight?

I am using drugs not recreationally but for self-medication. Depression all of my life. I am in between jobs and have time to experiment. I consider myself a Grade C- Psychonaut. I did 100mg of 4-ACO-DMT on Monday morning to attempt an emotional/mental reset. It was great until later in the afternoon when I had come down and had a bottled latte. When I came down from that latte I sank into a depression. Insufflated O-PCE to stomp it down. The next day did feel like I'd been "reset". But again late afternoon caffeine fucked it. Caffeine can be demon to me. Today, I discovered how dandy cannibas and dissos work together. No caffeine after noon. Day pretty good.

It's just that you paint your marijuana experiences as something that happens only with other people while at the same time sounding very much like an introvert.

I generally avoid people for reasons you listed and do that even when I'm not high.
I am an introvert. I have freinds who seem to have successfully used pot. I think it has something to do with motivation. If you use pot thoughtfully in can provide insights and motivate you to do things you might not have otherwise done. But if used incautiously, can be a problem. But for those who just use it to get high, and enjoy it, without thinking much about it, good for them. Used in a party situation and you get too big a hit, it can be trouble for you. It also increases you libido, so, maybe energizing your desire towards some one and providing extra motivation for the pursuit. But get too big a hit alone, you might think unrealistically.

da.vee.doh-Is it not possible that you don’t see the articulacy/Chou are an introvert?

I was diagnosed (at a comparatively late stage in life) with autism spectrum disorder (Asperger’s), which explains my life up until this point. It quite likely also explains my idiosyncratic reactions to a number of drugs, including cannabis.

However I’ll ask one question; do you mean egotistic or egoistic? cannabis makes me feel more solipsistic.

Tom

I am an introvert. I have freinds who seem to have successfully used pot. I think it has something to do with motivation. If you use pot thoughtfully in can provide insights and motivate you to do things you might not have otherwise done. But if used incautiously, can be a problem. But for those who just use it to get high, and enjoy it, without thinking much about it, good for them. Used in a party situation and you get too big a hit, it can be trouble for you. It also increases you libido, so, maybe energizing your desire towards some one and providing extra motivation for the pursuit. But get too big a hit alone, you might think unrealistically.

I'll be honest, I've avoided this thread because the title reminds me of previous posters that've had a negative impact on how I view this forum. That was my mistake, and I wouldn't be surprised if others jumped to similar conclusions.

Really, though, I think this is a tricky question. I wouldn't say weed makes me egotistical but certain strains can absolutely cause me to focus on myself and my thoughts and my actions throughout the day, and when I've exhausted all options to stress over the things I've actually done, well.... nope, it's not done yet. That just means it's time to move onto stressing about all of the potential ways I could've handled any given situation, replaying conversations in my mind in slightly different ways until I'm quite literally mentally exhausted. It gets to the point where I get stuck for hours, sometimes days in an emotional response where I can't bring myself to let go of a certain stressor and end up constantly feeling like I just experienced it. Every single time I find myself just as angry/depressed/confused/worried as I was in the moments after the events actually took place.

The reason I don't think this has anything to do with my ego is because I don't feel like it's based in any kind of idea of self-importance. I'm not special. I'm not brilliant. I'm not quick, I'm not even average-sized, I think I look like one of the people that the saying "God loves ugly" was coined for. My problem lies solely with my issues with anxiety, and more often than not weed is what helps me break out of that draining thought process and kind of push it away for the time being, compartmentalize and forget.... but only temporarily. It's rare for weed to play games with my mental health like that, but I've had it happen often enough to know it's possible for my escape to make the problem worse. I say it's because of different strains, but truth is it could be more dependent on my current mental state prior to getting high than anything else. I really don't know.

[EDIT: To answer your question about other forums, there are plenty. Ever since the original Overgrow shut down, I've been most satisfied with Bluelight online. You have to remember that, while you're certainly in the Cannabis Discussion thread, this site is huge, brother. The forums themselves are plentiful and most have a core group of dedicated posters, but a majority of the people you'll find came to this site for reasons other than cannabis and wandered over here because one day they got bored, figured they liked weed too so "Fuck it, why not?" There are a few straight up brilliant minds that grace us with their presence on occasion, most of the Bluelighters around for any considerate amount of time tend to know their shit and are open to hearing different and new perspectives, and the Greenlighters (new users) can surprise you with what they can bring to a discussion out of nowhere.

We've got a bunch of trollish types too, and they're broadly split into two types: long-term users who just like giving people a hard time, and new accounts that post the stupidest things you could imagine. It's not all good, but we do our best to weed out the bad. Most things are tolerated, though, there's only a few things that'll put your account in jeopardy here. We just... it's not what we're here for, to turn people away.

Hope you stick around but if you still want a list of other forums then let me know, I'll shoot you a PM. I think they might end up disappointing you, but it's your call.]

Last edited:
I think all drugs, since they boost dopamine and other "happy" chemicals in the brain, might make one more egotistic. Think of cocaine! Holy moly.

I forgot why I clicked on this thread.
is that egotistical enough?

Weed makes me want to criticize myself unneccesarily more than it makes me egotistical.

Alcohol and amphetamine make me egotistical.

Was it a sativa? In my older years sativa's do that.
Sometimes lately even indica's do first thing in the morning but i quit cigarettes and methadone 2 months ago so still feeling anxious from that.
Some people just can't smoke. I tried to get my mom high to get her off booze and I thought I was going have to sedate her

I think it all depends on ones personality to begin with. I wouldn't say weed makes me more egotistical but being confident it might appear to others that I am. Im 64 so have also had a few years to get to know and understand my own bullshit.

I don’t smoke weed at all anymore but compared to say coke, I don’t think it amps up anyone’s ego very much. In fact most heavy weed smokers I know tend towards insecurity and anxiety, especially social anxiety. Whether those conditions developed before or after the weed habit I’m never quite sure.

Perhaps some of these people put on a bit more front when high to mask that anxiety and therefore seem egotistical? I noticed my son get more and more aggressive about his view of the world the more weed he smoked. He always had to be right about everything. But he began as a highly anxious little kid.

Where potheads seem to me to be maybe to get narcissistic or overly egotistical is when they become serious afficianados or connoisseurs. Then they can sometimes reach Vegan levels of self-assuredness. Especially about the quality of their drug choices compared to yours. But in that they are no different to say serious wine lovers.

First off, the way that dude got treated was definitely a bit out of line.. Not exactly the way towards higher levels of membership but I digress.

Yea some cannabis users can be a bit much. I feel like ever since rec weed became a thing it got way worse too. All the sudden you have all these pretentious types who’d never touch it before thinking they’re all cool cuz they smoke bud now. Thankfully I’m very far from hanging with these types but I see them often enough.

An example is people who are super anal about their vape temps, fucking freak out if you don’t wait exactly 23.5 seconds after the nails been heated before dabbing. I’ve got a few friends like this, nowadays I’ll even ask people I’m new to smoking with “are you one of those types that gets uppity about how I dab?” Lol.

I’ve been burning every day for over half my lifetime, I don’t have time to waste doing that shit.

-GC

It's just a mind change like most substances that are great for feel good results. It is supposed to be the softest come down from all. If even anything at all.
I myself am struggling with trying to stop doing so many dabs and shatter. The potency is causing quite the struggles now.
edit: How did this post get thrown into the purple thread I will never know.
But is definitely believable for sure !!