• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuliaRose12

Greenlighter
I'm just curious on how long your body takes to process opiates. My real question is how long do you have to be clean before you can use again. I'm afraid of getting sick or withdrawing again. It's been a week since I've done anything, and I was looking to relax but afraid of messing up or doing to much. Anything would helpful, please nothing rude ? any personal experiences would be great

Depends upon the opiates/opioids in question. Heroin is usually totally clear from your system within 3 days. If you want to avoid dependence and subsequent withdrawals then I'd suggest waiting for at least another 3 days after that before you use again - so at least 6 days after your last use. This is not based upon any scientific evidence I hasten to add, just personal experience. Unfortunately, this takes a lot of self discipline to achieve, especially if you have ready access. I would also recommend an extra 3 days of abstinence for every consecutive day you have used. E.g. If you have used for 2 consecutive days, allow 3 days for it to leave your system, then 6 more days for any tolerance to drop - 9 days total. If you've used for 3 consecutive days, allow 3 days plus another 9 days to 'reset' - 12 days total. I could never stick to this regimen and suffered greatly for it...

It depends on the opioid. Half-lives* are generally good indicators. Morphine, oxycodone, hydrocodone etc have half-lives between 3-6 hours, which means that around 24-36 hours is enough for them to be cleared out of your body. For more info Google is your friend.

*half-life means the time it takes 50% of the drug to exit your body. If the half-life is 5 hours, then 5 hours after ingestion of say 100 mg only 50 mg will be left in your body. 5 more hours and 25 mg will be left, 5 more hours 12.5 mg and so on.

I'm talking about oxycodone. I used heavy for about 7 months and got clean. I ended up messing up again and then went 9 days and used about 60 mg that day. I felt very anxious the next day and couldn't sleep but after day 3 I felt okay. Today I have used about 20 mg and am afraid that tomorrow I will be withdrawing again. Do you think it will happen? If it does is there anything I can take the anxiety away? I have work the rest of this week and it's very hard to work feeling like that but I cannot miss given it is a new job. I can regulate myself I did it for years. I messed up and used for so long because I was caught in a bad situation and didn't know how to get out but I got out. Please give me your opinion I'm very nervous about it. Thank you!!!

Id also like to add that the day I messed up and got sick again I feel like alot of my symptoms were in my head. I didn't have cold chills or a fever, I didn't feel nauseous or irritable, I just felt very anxious and had trouble sleeping. I could be wrong or making excuses but alot of it felt like I was sick because I couldn't stop thinking about it.

It depends on the opioid. Half-lives* are generally good indicators. Morphine, oxycodone, hydrocodone etc have half-lives between 3-6 hours, which means that around 24-36 hours is enough for them to be cleared out of your body. For more info Google is your friend.

*half-life means the time it takes 50% of the drug to exit your body. If the half-life is 5 hours, then 5 hours after ingestion of say 100 mg only 50 mg will be left in your body. 5 more hours and 25 mg will be left, 5 more hours 12.5 mg and so on.

Everything I have looked on Google doesnt really give a straight forward answer. I know that after 72 hours the drug is technically out of your system, but I cannot find anything about your body going back into withdrawal after those 3 days. The question is kind of vague I know, but I am very worried lol.

I hope so. I guess I will find out tomorrow or sometime later. Is there anything that could help me cope with the anxiety if I do get it? Any medicines that are easy to get techniques that I could try? It bugs me so bad sometimes it's hard to breathe. I panic alot as well.

You should quit doing opiates, chipping rarely ends well for anyone, but you specifically have a problem which is going to make it very hard to do them one day at a time for very long, your anxiety. I imagine you have an underlying anxiety disorder and the mild opiate WD you are experiencing after 1 days use is exacerbating it. This is only going to get worse and worse, until it is so bad that there is a slim chance you will be able to tough it out and not redose, and once that happens you are screwed, because if you couldn't hold out after 1 days use how are you going to after 2?

Depends upon the opiates/opioids in question. Heroin is usually totally clear from your system within 3 days. If you want to avoid dependence and subsequent withdrawals then I'd suggest waiting for at least another 3 days after that before you use again - so at least 6 days after your last use. This is not based upon any scientific evidence I hasten to add, just personal experience. Unfortunately, this takes a lot of self discipline to achieve, especially if you have ready access. I would also recommend an extra 3 days of abstinence for every consecutive day you have used. E.g. If you have used for 2 consecutive days, allow 3 days for it to leave your system, then 6 more days for any tolerance to drop - 9 days total. If you've used for 3 consecutive days, allow 3 days plus another 9 days to 'reset' - 12 days total. I could never stick to this regimen and suffered greatly for it...

If i can add this think of it as a weekend warrior drug thing. Use it Friday and Saturday and then
keep clean or away from the stuff till the next friday. That is the best advice I can give you on the
subject and take in regard i am by no means a doctor or anyone with a medical background to support this.
Only personal exp.

If you are addicted/dependent you will begin to feel wd in 12 to 18 hours at most, unless it's a long acting like methadone or buprenorphine it can be 2 days. Opiates are not a drug that is easy to use recreationally. I like the weekend warrior idea. Also, don't pop it more than once per day. 3x daily and the drug is active in your system all day and binding to your receptors all day.

I've been using H daily, about 150 to 200 mg split in about 4 doses for 6 months. I need to be clean to begin my career in healthcare. I find you can taper pretty fast, every 2-4 days or so. Went from 150, to 75, to 40, to 20, and now I'm just using to manage the PAWS, just a couple of mg every day or 2 until I feel fine with complete cessation. I never felt any more discomfort than the want of a ciggarette. A mental need, but virtually no physical symptoms. I'm gonna stick with the 2mg every day or two until I feel I'm ready. It takes some willpower when you have a big bag next to you and you are only taking 5mg 3 times a day. You want to do 50mg. Don't do it. I tried to do it for months but have finally been successful doing this taper over the course of 10 days.

I would read up on other users recreational usage for advice as this is what I plan to do. I will not go through addiction again, but still want to use occasionally. If you are able to do it recreationally, a nice bonus is it takes very little to get high. I got down to 10mg in divided doses of H and when my new bag came I IV'd about 35mg and woke up on the floor, lol. Don't forget your tolerance goes way down. This is how many experienced users OD.

If you are going to taper you want it to be all from the same batch cuz potency can vary wildly, which defeats the purpose of measuring. Also, if you have been addicted before I think it's easier for your body to become dependent on it again than someone who has never done it.

This is not really a Harm Reduction question. You're curious how often you can use and put down without acquiring a habit.This will vary from person to person.

Status
Not open for further replies.