• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How long will water extractions of mulungu bark keep for?

niwkkie

Greenlighter
I am just starting to experiment withi this herb.

Some very promising results so far however inconsistent as some days I have had almost no effect. I cant figure if this is due to tolerance or taking kratom the same day which seems to kill mulungus effect. Too early to say.

Anyway it is not convenient to always have to be doing a 30-60 minute boil of the substance so can I cook it all in one batch and keep in the fridge? Is there an issue with stagnation and some kind of bacteria forming? I read it is antimicrobial so does that play in favor of storing it for longer?

I have done one cook of one dose and was keeping the leftovers for another cook but I looked today and there is already some mould growing on the bark which is why I am thinking it is better to cook off everything at once.

Are you keeping them at 0 percent moisture in a sealed container like a zip block squeeze out all the air?

Thirty to sixty minutes? I boil my mulungu bark powder for less than 90 seconds and it works fine, very powerful actually. Do you have powder or shredded bark? The extraction keeps very well in the freezer.

Are you keeping them at 0 percent moisture in a sealed container like a zip block squeeze out all the air?

I actually think that was the problem; ie the opposite. I was putting the used material in a sealed tub before it had dried out properly so the remaining moisture stayed on the material causing fungus to grow. I left the tub open now with the used parts and looking today that seems to have curbed the problem.

Thirty to sixty minutes? I boil my mulungu bark powder for less than 90 seconds and it works fine, very powerful actually. Do you have powder or shredded bark? The extraction keeps very well in the freezer.

I am using the whole bark.

Yes I don't see how you would get the majority of alkaloids out after a couple of seconds like you say. Oh I see if you are using the powder that could work due to increased surface area. If I am able to do two active brews at 30 mins a piece that proves there are some leftovers. I tried a third brew before but that gave a barely noticeable effect so I would say two is the best.

How have you found the tolerance? because I have had almost no effect a couple times I took it this week and my experiments were only one day off in between. As I said I don't know if it is because of having kratom those days. People online said that is a great mix but I was very dissappointed by the effect. I found that kratom overpowered and I also got a bad stomach when combining both.

I have read of people talking mulungu for insomnia nightly for up to weeks and months at a time so I presume the effect still worked for them so I would not expect it to have been tolerance based on those reports.

I like the idea of making an extraction down to a resin as that would be the most convenient way to store it imo but not sure how you would do that. I presume just boil all the liquid off till you are left with a paste. Would you not lose alot of actives in the evaporation process? For the cost of an active hit this seems alot more expensive that kratom; maybe 3 times the price so I am still trying to see if it is economically viable. But hey if it can be almost as strong as a benzo with no known withdrawal that is certainly worth a greater price of entry.

Last edited:
You need zero moisture could you maybe gently dry it over like 70 degree c or like 160 -170 f this helps denature the proteins of the bacterialike ecoli then let it cool to room temperature then squeeze all the air out of a zip block back leaving a tiny opening to squeeze out absolutely all the air then seal it then double back to make sure moisture can't get in then keep it in the fridge. ? Removing all air helps prevent bacteria by starving it from oxygen carbon dioxide and nitrogen In the air I believe like If we put you in a sealed bag with no air you'd die

Wait your puting all of the bark in your n your first brew why don't you take a portion so if u have a month supply use one thirtieth then brew and strain it five times that's what I do for whole tea leaves. Another is to treat it leaving it in water over the stove for like 45-90 minutes

Wait your puting all of the bark in your n your first brew why don't you take a portion so if u have a month supply use one thirtieth then brew and strain it five times that's what I do for whole tea leaves. Another is to treat it leaving it in water over the stove for like 45-90 minutes

No how stupid would that be :D

I mean if i take 7 grams for a brew I keep the 7 grams since it can make another brew.

I was thinking today that making ice cubes might be a good way and then once frozen they would have metered doses if all worked out.

btw what dose does it get equivalent to a benzo? i read that it is most like a klonopin not that I have tried that. I have only tried up to 7 grams so far but I hear 15grams is a common dose and some go up to 25 grams a dose. It certainly wouldnt be economical to dose that high regularly but wondering if those bigger doses would do the job for inducing sleep because so far I haven't been able to drop off quicker using it.

One thing tho is I got terrifying nightmares when only trying 5 grams one night so would be wary of that with higher doses. I dreamt me and a group of people were trapped in a haunted house and if we walked into certain 'hotspots' in the house we would get possessed by ghouls :p.

Incidentally I felt really refreshed after those nightmares but it was very uncomfortable; havent experienced them again but always vivid dreams which I read is a trademark of this substance which is fine as long as they don't get out of hand :). I notice it seems to make me have rem sleep for the whole night as soon as I drop off rather than just the morning like would usually be the case. The sleep is really refreshing upon waking but so far I havent found it to induce sleep any better at the doses I tried so interested in slowly trying higher. Sleep latency has always been my issue with sleep; not staying asleep. A normal night it takes me 1-2 hours to fall asleep at least.

Oh and how is the tolerance for you? Anything noticeable and how often do you dose?

Last edited:
Never used it I just extract polyphenols from whole leaves and extract concentrated purified coffee

What I can tell you is mold is a major major issue I have. I coat all my glass wear by using a whipe with a 20:5:3 ethanol acetic acid ammonia ratio because I've constantly found traces of bacteria or mold on dishes that don't wash off