• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long should I wait after taking Tramadol before I can take Rizatriptan (Maxalt)?

pally pete

Bluelighter
I had my last dose of Tramadol getting on for nearly 24 hours now. I had taken 500 mg staggered over the course of several hours, taken with plenty of Clonazepam, to try to limit the risk from my reduced seizure threshold. I staggered the doses, every 30-45 minutes I'd dose 50 mg Tramadol, and tbh, the Tramadol was a let down. I've heard the best way to get the most from it, is the stagger the doses the way I did. Other people just say say munch the whole dose in one go. I'm not sure... I've never been sure about Tramadol ever since I first tried it back in 2010...

I can remember having some great times on it, lovely buzz, completely battered my depression. I remember a few times waking up for work with a big smile on my face, bounding out bed, happy as when I was a 16 year old. I only used it a few times as that feeling was not always the feeling I got, it was a very ' hit and miss ' type drug. Sometimes it felt sedating, relaxed, happy and calm. Other times, it fely speedy, and wired, and a sort of dirty feeling, almost similar to when you were coming down off MDMA or how me and mates would describe it, as a feeling like we'd had a ' shit pill '. Meaning we felt like we'd taken a poor Ecstasy (MDMA) tab, which probably contained little/no MDMA and probably just Caffeine/Amphetamine or something completely nasty.

As always I've gone off on a tangent. My question is, how long roughly until it will be safe for me to take my Rizatriptan? As I use them for what me and my Neurologists think are most likely Cluster Headaches. Now they really should come up with a proper name for these, as when you mention the word headache, people just think it's something minor. But Cluster Headaches are sent from hell! I've heard some people describe them as 'Suicide Headaches'. Because they can be literally that bad you want to be dead. They don't really have a'go-to' medication for them, other than the Triptans. But they are not the complete answer, the jury is out on whether they actually help or not.... As the attacks usually last anywhere between 20 minutes - 2 hours, and can be hard to identify whether they have subsided on their own, as the medication can take upwards of half hour to get into your system, or if the medication has helped ease the attack.

Although, the other Triptans I've tried - Sumitriptan (Didn't seem to have any effect) and Zolmitriptan (The nasal spray would make me vomit) So I think I've noticed when I take the Rizatriptan the attack appears shorter in duration.

I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. They're a 10 on the Richter Scale! :|

Sorry about the life story. Just wanted to know when it's safe to take my Rizatriptan after Tramadol use? Or also how long after Tramadol use is it safe to take any other Contraindicated meds?

Thanks.

so if the last re-dose you did was 24 hours you should be fine, the half-life is about 9 hours aprox. in such doses as yours so ( 9+9=18 hours) . I consumed tramadol for 6 years, with doses between 1000mg-1500mg, now I am in day 4 of its withdrawal (I tappered to 300mg and quit) so I have some experience with it .

if you don't want to put your bet on my knowledge, here is a study about it https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4348403/ .