• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How Long of a Break From Adderall?

chetttheaddboy

Greenlighter
How long would a break from Adderall need to be in order to feel like the medicine works again in a 20 mg dose?

I've been taking it in 20 mg dose + 10 mg later in the day, 2-3 days a week for the last year and a half.

I am looking for an estimate here. All posts are greatly appreciated.
2 month break? 6 month break? year break?

Don't bump your own thread, it literally will not get responses faster and may annoy regular posters enough to diminish responses.

Let's try this is BDD.

---->BDD

Come on guys. I need an answer b4 I relapse.

I say just relapse. i've been on adderall for 3 years and 200mg IR doesnt do anything except make me not socially scared of people and talking to them

and it also makes me type like a monster

I say just relapse. i've been on adderall for 3 years and 200mg IR doesnt do anything except make me not socially scared of people and talking to them

and it also makes me type like a monster

That is really irresponsible to tell someone to relapse.

Would you like to share with the class how you ended up in a position where 200mg of adderall does almost nothing for you? It seems ridiculous that this could even be true, but I definitely believe it. It's actually quite scary how fast tolerance to this stuff builds. It only took me 2 months to go from being pretty decent on 20mg to needing 40mg to get out of bed. 2 more months and I need 60 and it's now a situation where I went from being spun and fun on 40mg for several hours to now I take 40 and maybe get "lightly happy" for about 15-20 minutes and it's over, I can go right to sleep. It's getting to be a bad scene.

I really don't think this stuff is worth it, if you do abuse the stuff and relapse, this is pretty much where you could be heading.

I always burn thru my script of 30 X 30mg Addys in about a week and then I have to wait until I get it refilled in a month. Almost always when I get my script, 30mg twice a day on day 1, then 60 mg twice a day on day 2, and then I basically binge on the rest and count the calendar days until I get my script refilled. Whatever you decide, do not go this route as the medicinal purpose (and recreational effects) of the Addy will have no effect whatsoever. With the little amount you take, I would try taking a month off and see if that helps. If not then increase the length of time before you take it again.

my scripts are 30 x 30mg IR and 60 X 30mg XR. Supposed to take 30XR in morning, 30 XR around noon and 30IR later in the afternoon around 6. I often work freelance in the evenings and I told my shrink I didn't like coming down when I'm trying to do freelance at night. It's still not enough to keep my mood up and I am running out before my script is up. A typical day is looking more like this:

Morning: 30mg XR + 30mg IR
Noon: 30mg XR + 30mg IR
4:30: 15mg IR
8:00: 30mg XR + 15mg IR
Midnight: 30mg XR + 15mg IR

If I am doing an all-night bender add another 30mg, so that's around 250mg daily, then of course I will run out and turn into the walking dead. I can already see it... My shrink will reach a point where she can't up the dose any longer then I'll need to move up the ladder and cross over to more potent amphetamines and addictions.

That's how it goes right? I've done this before. I'm such an insatiable addict my brain tells me all the pain and agony is worth the high that I don't even get anymore....

^^
u need to maybe rethink your options if you have to take that much adderall a day.

opiates and amphetamines aren't the solution to trying to keep your mood up, cuz in the longrun they don't work anymore. they're great at fooling you for awhile tho.

my scripts are 30 x 30mg IR and 60 X 30mg XR. Supposed to take 30XR in morning, 30 XR around noon and 30IR later in the afternoon around 6. I often work freelance in the evenings and I told my shrink I didn't like coming down when I'm trying to do freelance at night. It's still not enough to keep my mood up and I am running out before my script is up. A typical day is looking more like this:

Morning: 30mg XR + 30mg IR
Noon: 30mg XR + 30mg IR
4:30: 15mg IR
8:00: 30mg XR + 15mg IR
Midnight: 30mg XR + 15mg IR

If I am doing an all-night bender add another 30mg, so that's around 250mg daily, then of course I will run out and turn into the walking dead. I can already see it... My shrink will reach a point where she can't up the dose any longer then I'll need to move up the ladder and cross over to more potent amphetamines and addictions.

That's how it goes right? I've done this before. I'm such an insatiable addict my brain tells me all the pain and agony is worth the high that I don't even get anymore....

Jesus God man. Sorry if I missed it, but how long have you been on this amount? I would for sure talk to my shrink before this goes any deeper, you are absolutely right with the search for a more potent high, typical addicts behavior, I've seen it countless times. I personally made a switch from Adderall XR/IR to Vyvanse, and have been taking it for a couple months now and still feel stable. So, maybe it is worth looking into other medications, and ways of coping.

Its very easy to get into an amphetamine binge. The last 3 days before I knocked out for 12 hours I took the following:

28x Adderall 30mg (840mg)
9x Vyvanse 70mg (630mg)

That means I took 210mg Vyvanse and 280mg Adderall each day!

What happens is at first you get real high and then the next couple dosings you feel "alright" (sort of high) and then the longer you go you need more doses in more increments to keep going until another day passes you need much more just to stay awake with a little buzz. Eventually that buzz continues without needing any but you begin to become really paranoid, start hearing things and even seeing things like very quick 'n go. Shadow people appear after a couple days awake. Your heart begins to beat really fast

You don't necessarily have to completely abstain from using Adderall to lower your tolerance, especially if you're prescribed it for a medical reason. Simply taking a lower dosage (10-15mg) for an extended period of time, even several weeks will make your usual dose feel stronger/work better when you decide to up the dose again.

It works for me with dexies (dexamphetamine), so I'm not sure if Adderall would be the same.

You don't necessarily have to completely abstain from using Adderall to lower your tolerance, especially if you're prescribed it for a medical reason. Simply taking a lower dosage (10-15mg) for an extended period of time, even several weeks will make your usual dose feel stronger/work better when you decide to up the dose again.

It works for me with dexies (dexamphetamine), so I'm not sure if Adderall would be the same.

This is good to know because I am on the fast track right now to a monster tolerance that's gonna end up being real trouble. I actually tried this technique but almost every time I try it, my mind and body is saying it's not enough because I am shaking and feeling very anxious, which is part of the withdrawal syndrome. As soon as i pop a couple more the shaking and anxiety goes away. In fact when I'm binging for a few days I will actually nod on a good adderall high and that's the only way I can get to sleep, I gotta be spun and euphoric to relax.

I gotta try this "rest period" and at least get back on my therapeutic dose since things are gettin too crazy anymore.

I'm prescribed Adderall 60mg daily for ADHD and usually when I get my script filled I will abuse large doses (along with the Vyvanse or Adderall XR I was once prescribed) for a few days straight and then go back to my therapeutic dose. Every month I will take a 5-7 vacation to decrease my tolerance and when I go back I'll feel really good just from my regular prescribed dose. Those 5-7 vacation days that I go I'll feel so tired and moody. I feel like I have no direction or what to do. I feel shitty but no horrible withdrawals.

Modified post

I'm someone older who is naturally type A but abuses adderall (I'm prescribed it for ADHD, maybe incorrectly so) to get through the bullshit of daily life everyday.

I have been taking it for nearly a decade and a half intermittently when I am overwhelmed or I am going through an immense amount of bullshit due to culture or structure but it is still the right thing to do and fills my needs in the long term.

I notice negative thoughts and feeling tweaky about two months into it. When I have taken it for a year +, your body adjusts to it and you become clean like American Psycho as a normal habit but you feel like a robot and for me, I become more introverted and chronically depressed. I don't really increase my dose and max out at 30 mgs / daily. I usually even feel like thats too much with the side effects and USUALLY down it to 15-20 mg by pouring out some of my XR beads and doing a partition everyday.

There are 3 main reasons I detox from Adderall

1) To reduce persistent negative side effects
2) To decrease tolerance
3) To make sure my body is healthy without the masking effect of amphetamines

When I feel negative every night, too robotic, too introverted due to cynical jaded thoughts, and chronically depressed, I usually aim to detox. You also start experiencing physical symptoms that persist chronically like insomnia and itchiness. The detox time period for 1-2 months of use is short...(when I used it for finals in the past) I ween off it roughly in 2 weeks and feel normal. After a year of consistent use, I required 3 months of sobriety to start cleaning the house and working out again. But even 3-6 months of sobriety duration I was only able to keep working out and keep the house OCD clean...NO WORK OR STUDIES BEYOND THAT. About 9 months into the detox, I had my old mind back again and was able to start cutting trees in the right direction and plan my life. I was making application binders to apply to programs because I KNEW I wanted to further my education and it was me thinking these thoughts not the adder all. I find these detoxes useful to eliminate the negative chronic side effects I may feel due to its use. These breaks also allow me to decrease my tolerance back down. Tolerance builds back up quickly though as I usually start at 5 mg and go back to my normal dose of 10-15 mg within a month. Also, notice how you don't get sick while all your colleagues are while you are on adder all? Notice how your knee might hurt in the mornings but it doesn't hurt once you take your meds? Notice how you think all negatively but then you think all motivated and positively after you take your prescribed dose? I think being on amphetamines everyday might mask PHYSICAL health problems (like pain from a tooth cavity might be unfelt, or a mouth ulcer) and it is GOOD to detox to let your body truly sleep and heal up so you know you are atleast at baseline health wise.

When you ween off you need minimal responsibilities. You can push through with the bare minimum but don't expect to be superman like you are when you are medicated. I find moments I detox joyful, as I become more my natural self, extroverted, and at least not stressed and dwelling on every responsibility in my life. I can leave the house messy and my assignments and tasks postponed and feel OK about it. IMHO, the decrease in perceived stress (maybe not necessarily even a decrease in the stressors around us) has a healing effect and should be enjoyed. It is relaxing and non-stressful at the very least and I treat it like a gift if I have a time period where its like vacation and I can afford to detox. The key is with detox duration. If it is too long (as sometimes I've seen with attempts to permanently quit the drug), your whole identity might possibly change to your detox persona. This is not good because all the benefits to our persona & character and resulting actions that came with the drug are completely lost. If it is too short, the side effects remain and the detox feels like it is done in vain. Thus, I usually try to time the detox so all my PHYSICAL side effects are healed up (no more itching, all chronic health problems that show during initial days of detox heal, normal sleeping) and I don't enter a too cynical negative perspective outlook on life. Depending on my duration of use and dose, this time period can vary dramatically. I subjectively evaluate my physical health and mental health before jumping back on it. Short term acute signs that your body is healing up physically that are UNIVERSAL include: lack of paleness in the extremities (knuckles turn normal color, hands turn normal color and normal temperature and aren't super cold all the time), no more insomnia, and hunger returns to normal. Sometimes after a long time of use with zero detox days, I will get sick, headaches, and bed sweats and tremors for about a week before I am physically healed up. If I continually detox intermittently through a long period of use, side effects of sobriety are just lack of motivation and lethargy. Usually I am forced back on it due to some big stressor where I am pushed outside of my comfort zone and return to adderall as a habit of comfort. All this being said, I try to keep the minimal detox period to two weeks as this was the time period I found useful for completely eliminating tolerance and side effects during short adder all binges (1-2 weeks for finals) Everyone's body is different though and my opinion uses inductive reasoning to make an argument for my belief on detoxing.

If you are like the rest of us doing a grind, you might rarely be able to find the time to detox. Thus when you do, it is important to follow through with it, as these moments of adderall vacation tend to be rare in most of our normal busy lives. You won't regret it and detox is actually meditative for me.

Last edited:
Lol how I can relate to staring at the calendar for refill day after running out of sixty Adderall 20s in the first week, from eating, sharing with my girl, 24/7 sex fests, and making a few bucks..I'm currently waiting for June 13th lol