• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe How long does precipitated withdrawal last in your experience?

tarman

Bluelighter
Hey everyone, TL;DR is at the end, so scroll on down if ya want to share your experience and perceptions:

This is perhaps a moderately redundant thread, but I wanted to get a compendium of people's objective times and subjective timelines for precip withdrawal. And each person's particular scenario.

I've had one precip wd experience. I was maybe 12 to 16 hours after my last opioid ingestion (h). I had been doing like .2 or .3g a day, snorting. Decent stuff, not fent (the doctor told me at the sub clinic when they drug tested me). Anyway, 14ish hours in, feeling fairly awful, but still ascending (or descending) to the peak withdrawal effects. By that point, I had hot/cold cycling, random sweating regardless of aforemetioned hot/cold sensation, warm unpleasant tingle feeling in the nerve endings, my stool had not turned to water just yet but I had emptied a coupla feet of shit (not all at once, and it got smaller with each shit), inability to sit still but not like crazy, nose watering, plenty of yawning. My COWS score (https://www.mdcalc.com/cows-score-opiate-withdrawal if you want to check it out) was a solid un-dramatized 9: I tried to be very conservative in my self-assessment. The aforementioned site says over 10 is the starting point. So I guess I could just go by that. But the problem is- withdrawal is different for everyone. The COWS score is good, but time is also a good objective measuring stick.

So, y'know, i'm well over the 12 hour mark, feeling shitty enough, and was like "fuck it", and took a 4mg sub. I'm very diligent with my technique- I use the buccal method (inside of cheek). Annnd, it fuckin made the withdrawal worse. Now, it wasn't horrific or reality shattering by any means. But, it amplified some of the aforementioned stuff- particularly the restless leg and the temperature sensation stufff, not to mention the anxious unpleasantries. So, I took another 4mg soon after. That didn't escalate it any more, but certainly solidified the precip withdrawal state I was in.

So I did what any weak-willed person would do in that position- I made some calls and re-upped. Snorting the h made things instantly better. Which is weird- because supposedly suboxone clogs up like 90-something-plus of the receptors. But there were definitely some open receptor slots. That's part of this topic, but could be its own topic. Of course the H didn't hit like it normally does- it was certainly muted. But it still cured me. And that segues into the main question of the thread.

Had I not re-upped and caved in to do some H, how long would the precipitated withdrawal state have lasted? Is it as simple as: the same timeline for when I would've hit peak withdrawal? Maybe another 8 hours or so? Or would it have been less because the subs are chipping away wedging themselves in all the receptors? Someone on this forum said precip withdrawal actually resolves itself quickly- he said somethin like an hour or two. He seemed confident in his statement, but this is the internet after all.

Long story short- I think for me- the optimal timeframe for sub induction is 24 to 36 hours. With kratom holding me until I jump to the subs. Speaking of kratom, I think i've found a good cycle. Take the suboxone for 10 days- lowering the dose each day. Then switch to kratom and wittle that down too for another week or so before jumping.

TL;DR: How long does precipitated withdrawal last? It it simply the same amount of time it would've taken to hit the peak withdrawal shittiness otherwise? Or does taking subs actually help to get the brain to adapt to partial agonism, but more receptors activated (high affinity)?

Most importantly: How long did precip withdrawal last for you? Can it be overcome by taking a pile of subs? Like 24mg or 32mg? Or beyond? (and yes, yehhhss, I know here is a ceiling effect. The sub clinic I go to, they freaking try to get you stabilized on a big dose. There were people there taking like 48mg a day.. which apparently is a lot? (haha i know that's a ton). But I shit you not, in the little counseling room, people were taking 32mgs a day, or 40- they shared that openly with the group. Okay that was a long TL;DR. My fault.

From my experience it's best to wait 24hrs minimum or until you're in peak withdrawal from your opiate of choice, then start with small amounts ~1mg bupe.
If it makes you feel worse then you are in precipitated withdrawal and unfortunately taking more subs will only make it worse.

I haven't ever been in brutal 100% precipitated withdrawal as I've always followed the above steps. Hopefully someone else can offer better input than me!

Mine always lasted about an hour or two.
With heroin that is. And then you'll feel the bupe take over.
But you'll still feel pretty crappy even once the bupe is in control.

From my experience it's best to wait 24hrs minimum or until you're in peak withdrawal from your opiate of choice, then start with small amounts ~1mg bupe.
If it makes you feel worse then you are in precipitated withdrawal and unfortunately taking more subs will only make it worse.

I haven't ever been in brutal 100% precipitated withdrawal as I've always followed the above steps. Hopefully someone else can offer better input than me!
Okay, that seems to jive with my experience. I've never been in 100% brutality either. Basically, 24 hours minimum, but start little and be patient before re-upping with another mig. Makes sense, and is sage advice. I think 36 hours is the sweet spot. That's the point at which (for me) it won't make it worse, and it actually starts to help juuust a skosh. And with each passing hour, it starts to help more and more, albeit still a slow climb.

Mine always lasted about an hour or two.
With heroin that is. And then you'll feel the bupe take over.
But you'll still feel pretty crappy even once the bupe is in control.
I think you were the person I was remembering that said it lasted an hour or two in your experience. And that makes sense on an intuitive level- that it gets better. I'm wondering if 2 hours is an average of what other people experience, or you just got your brain tuned nicely so you can jump over to the subs without too much hassle, haha.
The big question though: how many hours after your last opioid consumption did you take a sub? Ballpark estimate if you don't have a specific time zone.

Ever since I found out about partial agonists, I've been fascinated by the comparison of a full agonist that is occupying a lower percentage of mu receptors versus a partial-agonist that is occupying a much, much higher percentage of mu receptors. Obviously I'm simplifying things here, so I understand it is more complex than that- with the kappa, delta receptors playing a part, along with other brain systems.
But in general, at what point do they have any sort of equivalency? And maybe they don't. From my experience, I gotta be honest- I was disappointed with subs, even a week or two or three in to using it as my sole opioid. It still killed my libido, it didn't help my sleep, it made me foggier, mentally, than heroin. I used to go to work on heroin and it was an enhancer. It made me able to schmooze and give great customer service to my users (I do desktop IT type stuff), and it helped me think and reason out troubleshooting approaches. But the subs... they felt like a drag. They didn't help like the h did. To be bluntly honest- kratom is miles and away better than subs.
I acknowledge that kratom has its own risks. Which is why it might be "better" in my opinion and experience than subs. But damn- the kratom doesn't cause precip withdrawal, it doesn't cause decreased libido, it doesn't cause brain murkiness (now to be fair, it does make you feel a little "under the influence", but I'm able to 'think' just fine, and my reasoning and social skills seem just fine).

[Also, for any super semantic (and to be fair, accurate) people, yes i'm aware there's a distinction between opiate and opioid. I just call 'em all opioids because i think it's a cool looking and cool sounding word, haha]

Okay, that seems to jive with my experience. I've never been in 100% brutality either. Basically, 24 hours minimum, but start little and be patient before re-upping with another mig. Makes sense, and is sage advice. I think 36 hours is the sweet spot. That's the point at which (for me) it won't make it worse, and it actually starts to help juuust a skosh. And with each passing hour, it starts to help more and more, albeit still a slow climb.

I think you were the person I was remembering that said it lasted an hour or two in your experience. And that makes sense on an intuitive level- that it gets better. I'm wondering if 2 hours is an average of what other people experience, or you just got your brain tuned nicely so you can jump over to the subs without too much hassle, haha.
The big question though: how many hours after your last opioid consumption did you take a sub? Ballpark estimate if you don't have a specific time zone.

Ever since I found out about partial agonists, I've been fascinated by the comparison of a full agonist that is occupying a lower percentage of mu receptors versus a partial-agonist that is occupying a much, much higher percentage of mu receptors. Obviously I'm simplifying things here, so I understand it is more complex than that- with the kappa, delta receptors playing a part, along with other brain systems.
But in general, at what point do they have any sort of equivalency? And maybe they don't. From my experience, I gotta be honest- I was disappointed with subs, even a week or two or three in to using it as my sole opioid. It still killed my libido, it didn't help my sleep, it made me foggier, mentally, than heroin. I used to go to work on heroin and it was an enhancer. It made me able to schmooze and give great customer service to my users (I do desktop IT type stuff), and it helped me think and reason out troubleshooting approaches. But the subs... they felt like a drag. They didn't help like the h did. To be bluntly honest- kratom is miles and away better than subs.
I acknowledge that kratom has its own risks. Which is why it might be "better" in my opinion and experience than subs. But damn- the kratom doesn't cause precip withdrawal, it doesn't cause decreased libido, it doesn't cause brain murkiness (now to be fair, it does make you feel a little "under the influence", but I'm able to 'think' just fine, and my reasoning and social skills seem just fine).

[Also, for any super semantic (and to be fair, accurate) people, yes i'm aware there's a distinction between opiate and opioid. I just call 'em all opioids because i think it's a cool looking and cool sounding word, haha]
That's very possible. And yeah that was prolly me. lol Jumping from heroin to subs and back for awhile, you kinda get adjusted to it. lol

I'd say about 12hrs is the longest I could hold off after my last hit of heroin & then would take subs.
Would throw myself into PWD every time, unless I used microdoses of bupe first while finishing the last of my stash.

One time I got PWD while driving to and from a store. It was a living nightmare. Started pouring sweat, was so anxious that I couldn't even get through the store without looking at everyone like I was severely pissed and about to die.

Once I got home, I'd say it went on for another hour and a half and then I just felt the shitty partial agonism of the bupe taking over.

I know I'm a little late the this thread. But I experienced pwds 4 days ago. So I kinda want to put my experience down, maybe it will stick in my head better and keep me from fuckin up again.
I was using heroin (which was undoubtedly laced or basically fent) for about 4-5 months. Only about .5g a day habit. Snorting it. Little relapse. I was stuck at home cause my family had covid. I decided to try to stop h while stuck at home. Lasted 36 hrs or so using lots of kratom and lopermide, took 8 hydrocodone as well. Caved in that night and went and got a 1/2 gram and did it all. Next day I got online script for Suboxone. I saw all the posts here about being careful. Stupidly thought sub would just bring on regular withdrawals.
I only lasted about 17 hrs before I popped first 2mg of sub. Only took about 20 min to feel that shit start kicking in. Hot flash came up my torso across my face. Freaked out and took another 2mg desperately hoping it would help. Legs started to burn, head throbbing, nausea. I was laying down and started shaking my legs to try to stop pain but then couldn't stop. I would thrash around then gag uncontrollably for a min, then thrash around, etc. Running to the bathroom to vomit/shit. God awful. Pain everywhere. Took sub at 2:45pm. My husband freaked out and got my mom there. She took me to er where I finally started to calm down. I was pacing in parking lot bc I knew they would probably not do anything for me inside. She drove me home at 8:50. I remember looking at the clock. Feeling like absolute shit but trying to nestle myself into the feeling instead of freaking out. Worst 6 hours of my life. Im sure all the opiates in my system had something to do with it. Lol. But damn, I was not prepared for that shit. Don't know how anyone could be.