• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom How long does kratom inhibit enzymes for after consuming?

Juicewrldfan

Bluelighter
Hi Everyone!

So, I can't find much support to back it up, but I am curious as to how long after kratom ingestion would it inhibit enzymes necessary to metabolize certain medications and especially interested in vitamin absorption. Additionally, it is my understanding that if the plant is consumed instead of straining the plant matter out of the tea before drinking it that the plant matter drags a lot of nutrients out with it that will not get absorbed by your body.

Basically, I am trying to figure out the best timeline to wait before consuming nutrients so that they still absorb and also for medications that may be need the enzymes that kratom inhibits to metabolize. Additionally, is it useful to take an enzyme inducer with your kratom dose or after it maybe? I just want to make sure that I don't end up with a vitamin deficiency. I am more concerned for my wife though because she has a gastric sleeve and already had to take a multivitamin before ever starting kratom. Yet, she only takes 2 grams when she takes it so I am not so sure its a major issue, but still worth looking into. I have heard of reports that some kratom users end up with very low vitamin d for some reason and more importantly (for my wife), biotin. I just don't want to see her hair fall out. It would devastate her.

Thanks everyone!

Kratom mainly inhibits CYP2d6 but I cannot find any information as to how long this inhibition occurs for. Mitragynine has an effective half life of about 24 hours, so an educated guess would be the inhibition lasts 3-4 days.

As for nutrients, kratom is surprisingly nutritious itself. It contains a lot of fiber and a modest amount of carbohydrates.

Kratom also has a healthy amount of vitamins in it:
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B1
  • Vitamin B2
  • Vitamin B5
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin C
  • Vitamin E
  • Vitamin K1
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Magnesium
  • Phosphorous
  • Potassium
  • Sodium
  • Zinc

I've never heard of anyone becoming vitamin deficient due to kratom use. I can't see how it would cause vit D deficiency or "drag nutrients out with it".

i took high doses of kratom (30-60g per day) for 9 years and never had any health issues or deficiency. I did, however, encounter a few negative interactions with medications but that's a different story.

Anyways, I would not be concerned about kratom intake blocking nutrition.

Kratom mainly inhibits CYP2d6 but I cannot find any information as to how long this inhibition occurs for. Mitragynine has an effective half life of about 24 hours, so an educated guess would be the inhibition lasts 3-4 days.

As for nutrients, kratom is surprisingly nutritious itself. It contains a lot of fiber and a modest amount of carbohydrates.

Kratom also has a healthy amount of vitamins in it:
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B1
  • Vitamin B2
  • Vitamin B5
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin C
  • Vitamin E
  • Vitamin K1
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Magnesium
  • Phosphorous
  • Potassium
  • Sodium
  • Zinc

I've never heard of anyone becoming vitamin deficient due to kratom use. I can't see how it would cause vit D deficiency or "drag nutrients out with it".

i took high doses of kratom (30-60g per day) for 9 years and never had any health issues or deficiency. I did, however, encounter a few negative interactions with medications but that's a different story.

Anyways, I would not be concerned about kratom intake blocking nutrition.
Thanks for your feedback! Yeah, my concern came mostly from anecdotal reports. One said that because its so much fiber that it drags nutrients out with it before they are absorbed. And one a few users on reddit credited kratom to their low vitamin D, but maybe it was something else going on afterall. I have seen quite a few of anecdotal reports that some people are losing their hair from long term use, but perhaps they just are not eating enough foods containing biotin.

As far as the other meds/drug interactions from liver enzyme inhibition, would you think that taking something like ginseng or another enzyme inducer would help to combat that? I have very limited understanding of these things. It does seem like it would be unlikely that kratom causes vitamin deficiency at least as far as biotin and vitamin D are concerned because they are metabolized by a completely different enzyme. My wife and I will be getting blood work done shortly for a yearly check up our insurance pays for so I will be able to see if I am having any adverse effects. I will say that since I drastically lowered my dose (went from 15 grams per dose 3x a day to 2 grams 3 times a day) and I strain the plant matter I haven't been having any pain in my abdomen. This leads me to believing that it is easier on the digestive system when consumed as a tea without the plant matter in it. I was still getting some pain in my abdomen even after decreasing my dose to 2 grams albeit much reduced. So I just make a tea and adjust the dosage as its probably about half as potent if I had to guess.

I am a little bit concerned about the impact it has on the adrenergic system, because I used to get infrequent mild chest pain from it before i decreased my dose. I am assuming it has to do with the adrenergic system. Then again I also vape nicotine. I am quitting that though this week. That is probably more cardiotoxic than kratom ever would be.

I cannot find any information on what liver enzymes metabolize kanna or even if its even metabolized in the liver. I guess not enough research has been done on it yet. I was sure I read reports of kanna and kratom being used together. I don't plan on using it together, but if kratom is inhibiting liver enzymes that long I guess I should not take any more 2 days after dosing. I haven't used kanna yet, but have some extract coming this week. Then again, I guess the doses are very small and I don't think kratom completely inhibits the enzyme. Still, better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Here is some more anecdotal information, in case you want to be further confused: I have lost, and am continuing to lose, an ENORMOUS amount of hair due to taking kratom. I thought that it might’ve been the Topamax I was taking, as I had heard that hair loss was a side effect; yet now, I am not taking very much more than my daily kratom dose, so it cannot be that (I’ve quit almost everything in preparation to have a baby.) I do take a prenatal vitamin AND those hair, skin and nails gummies with biotin, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. I’ve also been vitamin D deficient for a long time, but that’s a symptom that goes along with many of my chronic illnesses, such as fibromyalgia. I take a supplement for this as well. For many years, I took only 2 grams a day, and still had the hair loss. My dosage has increased as of late due to a rather extreme amount of pain; I would not be functional without the kratom. (I know I’ll need to taper down, if not off completely, when we do get pregnant; however, I’m hoping to have resolved the pain issue by then.)

Kratom does have a great deal of fiber, and, even though opioids can cause constipation, I have rather more constipation when I’m NOT taking it. I have IBS-C, and kratom seems to aid in digestion for me. I’m more regular when I DO take it. I don’t think there is any truth to the idea that fiber “blocks absorption” of nutrients, however. If anything, the fiber going through one’s digestive tract may scrape off the “biofilm” and therefore allow for GREATER absorption of nutrients. Or so I would imagine; I saw an ad for something called Colon Broom that acts in such a fashion. So I’m guessing kratom might act similarly

Well, I did a little bit more research and the consensus is that too much fiber does cause nutrients to be absorbed into the fiber preventing absorption. Again, they are saying too much, but how much is too much. So I’m guessing this just applies to some people and probably in people taking like 60 grams of kratom a day and again not all of those people. It’s probably different factors that play into it too.

@xtcgrrrl I am wishing you the best with your pregnancy and health issues.