• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How long does it take to build tolerance?

TheUrbanShaman

Greenlighter
Recently Ive been smoking a lot. Its the summer and I don't have to worry about school grades or anything so Ive been smoking up to 4 bowls a day everyday for about a month. I took a 7 day break in the middle because I didn't have any access to cannabis and that's pretty much the only 7 days Ive been completely sober. Anyway this last week Ive been noticing its taking more bud to get me high when its only taken 2-3 hits for me to get where I wanted to be in the past. Am I building tolerance or just getting used to being stoned constantly? Ive heard it usually takes 6 months to a year to build up tolerance :/
Thanks in advance

You are building tolerance. This is caused with frequent use but is more relevant to how heavy you are using. Try not to smoke every day or if you do at least take breaks or you can simply use it only on the weekends to avoid tolerance.

Tolerance for most things usually do build quickly.

FOR me , more than once a day daily was increasing my tolerance at a steady pace which wasn't very good

FOR me , more than once a day daily was increasing my tolerance at a steady pace which wasn't very good

Same for me at 1-2 daily uses (vaporized). After 1½-2 weeks it really goes through the roof and I have to stop for another few weeks.

Still some things builds tolerance faster than others.

Altho I always theorized that there were two parts to tolerance, the physiological part on one hand and as the OP pointed out, you get used to function better and better even when you are high. If anything I'd say the OP gets both effects.

Get a new strain see if that helps. Let's call this get a "new strain=tolerance gone phenomenon". this is something I noticed, not sure if it was because of different potency levels or what? If you could keep 2-3 different buds switching off when acclimated might work.?

PS: also seems always more potent in the morning"wake&bake" some like to call it...

Last edited:
samm2 it is well known that cycling strains help with tolerance. And that some strain takes longer than others to develop tolerance.

Depends if your smoking medical id say 1-2 weeks. Also depends on how often you use like how much you smoke. I quit for 3 months it took a week at one hit a day before i felt like i needed 2 hits to get the same effect.

Tolerance takes fairly long to build up with weed, months at least although of course it depends how much your smoking also a mother thing I find is with tolerance build up comes loss of magic so once you build a big tolerance it probably won't be fun any more

Mad how little some of you dudes are smoking, particularly across the pond. I already knew a few Dutch stoners, who seemed to smoke quite sensibly, choosing particular varieties of weed and hash for different occasions.
I quit smoking tobacco joints (the kind that most smoke in Europe) 4 days ago. I used to smoke a mix of spliffs and pipes. Now I mostly will be smoking just pipes, although I have been having a blunt or two a day too. I'd say even with a couple of varieties my tolerance is higher than most at the moment. It does me a lot of good though, in relation to motivation and general mood.

Get a new strain see if that helps. Let's call this get a "new strain=tolerance gone phenomenon". this is something I noticed, not sure if it was because of different potency levels or what? If you could keep 2-3 different buds switching off when acclimated might work.?

PS: also seems always more potent in the morning"wake&bake" some like to call it...

Holy shit, this explains so much! I had a dealer who always grew the same strain, after a few months of my buying from him I rang him up only to find his girlfriend had picked up and told me never to ring again since he's been sent down to jail. So, I went to my backup dealer whom I hadn't visited in around 4 months and he had a really nice, different strain. It consisted of orange buds and purple hairs. Anyway when I took one massive bong rip I sat back, exhaled and within minutes, baked. I hadn't been like this in months. I thought I was losing my mind or a miracle had happened. Awesome, now I know. Thanks bro! :)

I feel you on the last part brother. It's as if sleep removes some of the tolerance, which it probably does in all seriousness.