• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction How long do Tramadol's MAOI properties last?

Psychonaut911

Greenlighter
I made this account because I need this question answered and cant find the answer anywhere else, so sorry if there was another post made about this awhile back.
Anyways, I have been off of Tramadol for a month now, and in that time have been doing other opiates. I'm worried about going back on Tramadol for my work days and using coke for example on my weekends. I'm not going to take Tram with any other opiates at the same time, obviously, but how long do I need to wait? If I take 100mg a day, or up to 200mg a day, then will I be safe in 36 hours (day and a half) to do coke? It would make sense that once its effects have worn off (approximately 4-6 hours technically) then its MAOI properties might be diminished enough for opiate use despite the drug not being fully out of your system yet. Any thoughts?
As of posting I have not done any Tram yet, just gonna do more coke today, but I want to take Tramadol tomorrow so any scientific explanations would be helpful. Thanks :)

tramadol IR half-life is about 6-7 hours so in 14-16 hours you should be ok, if you are taking extended release ones which have 12 hours half-life you should wait at least 24 hours. so waiting a day or two would be the best option, but if you plan on using coke every saturday and sunday you could use another weak opiate like codeine or whatever you have on your hand on thursday and friday, so the tramadol remains only for monday, wednesday and tuesday.

First of you should check out if, how strong Tramadol it's MAO properties are, as far as I know Tramadol is not a MAOI.

Never heard the property to be of any concern with Tramadol. Amphetamine is also a weak MAOI that seems to have no significant effect.

The GABA-A inhibition seems most problematic short term for Tramadol. Before other overdosing effect occur. When overdone in a short ammount of time seizures are a def concern to the user. Like taking the opposite of benzodiazepinen pharmacology speaking I guess.

Coke lowers the seizure treshold, significantly probably. Tramadol lowers it significantly. So that combo is def unsafe. hope you are ok

Last edited:
Tramadol is a SNRI (or better tramadol itself is more of an SSRI and its metabolite M1 more of an NRI iirc), never heard of it being a MAOI.
As tramadol has active metabolites you'd need to wait longer than the usual 5 half lifes and as emkee_reinvented said, both lower the seizure threshold and both inhibit the reuptake of serotonin so serotonin toxicity might me a risk in high doses as well.
Tramadol itself has a half life of around 6 hours and M1 around 9, so waiting around 2 days between tramadol and cocaine should be safe

I made this account because I need this question answered and cant find the answer anywhere else, so sorry if there was another post made about this awhile back.
Anyways, I have been off of Tramadol for a month now, and in that time have been doing other opiates. I'm worried about going back on Tramadol for my work days and using coke for example on my weekends. I'm not going to take Tram with any other opiates at the same time, obviously, but how long do I need to wait? If I take 100mg a day, or up to 200mg a day, then will I be safe in 36 hours (day and a half) to do coke? It would make sense that once its effects have worn off (approximately 4-6 hours technically) then its MAOI properties might be diminished enough for opiate use despite the drug not being fully out of your system yet. Any thoughts?
As of posting I have not done any Tram yet, just gonna do more coke today, but I want to take Tramadol tomorrow so any scientific explanations would be helpful. Thanks :)

I'm pretty sure Tramadol has SNRI properties NOT MAOI properties. It is known as an opioid/SNRI. I really doubt my doctor would give me Zoloft AND Tramadol if it was MAOI.

the thing is in my experience that although tramadol is an SNRI not a MAOI it does not interact well with MAOIS, there may be some exceptions but in most cases tramadol + MAOIS are a bad combination.