• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How long do 5-HT1a receptors need to desensitize themselves after continuous stimuli?

Maiklel

Greenlighter
How long do 5-HT1a receptors need to desensitize themselves after having being stimulated with agonists during a short period of time?

I need scientific sources related to this question: in other words, what is the REFRACTARY TIME for 5-ht1a receptors to recover their pre-states before taking meds that stimulate them during a certain interval of time and not by single dosage.

It would depend on the intensity & frequency of the stimulus and the individual's genetics as well as general health state.

I don't think you can put hard numbers on things like this. Internalised receptors are destroyed by enzymatic action and only a small percentage are recycled, most internalized 5ht1a receptors probably need to be regenerated entirely before returning to full function, and that would depends on how much protein you eat vs how much your body needs to grow, maintain and the like.

I'd say either 2 weeks or (7 x the half life of the compound you consumed), whichever is more, as a rule of thumb.