• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How long can Methadone in sugary orange tang mixedliquid last both in & not in refrigerator while maintain safe bacterial levels for oral consumption?

Echotango

Bluelighter
I did a DuckDuckGo search with a few results (fyi I need to know how long it’s good for outside of a fridge at room temp) but 1st link doesn’t define what unacceptable levels of bacterial growth after 14 days means exactly and 2nd link I believe might be determining safety of injection solution possibly?

I’m hoping somebody here at blue light has an educated guess to my question.

Last edited:
I kept mine in fridge for weeks to 1.5 month ……consume while rotating with freshly compounded Methadone solution. Always being rotated with fresh current made solution.

Any particles you see settling at the bottom is theTang solution. You can always request to have them add just the smallest amount of Tang possible due to dental work / sugar is problematic for you, perhaps pre diabetic or some elaborate story lol…but could backfire if they request proof of this condition.

I’ve drank Methadone solution in Tang that was like 3-4 months old and was fine.

MUST be properly refrigerated in crisper drawer set to coldest temperature

I kept mine in fridge for weeks to 1.5 month ……consume while rotating with freshly compounded Methadone solution. Always being rotated with fresh current made solution.

Any particles you see settling at the bottom is theTang solution. You can always request to have them add just the smallest amount of Tang possible due to dental work / sugar is problematic for you, perhaps pre diabetic or some elaborate story lol…but could backfire if they request proof of this condition.

I’ve drank Methadone solution in Tang that was like 3-4 months old and was fine.

MUST be properly refrigerated in crisper drawer set to coldest temperature

Okay I probably should’ve mentioned this originally but I need info on how long it stays good for when it’s not in a fridge and kept at room temperature?

^ Valid question. At the most I remember keeping a weeks worth up in my closet that was still fine after a week. Never tried longer. But I too wonder how long that liquid can stay out and still be drinkable. Probably quite a while as long as it is capped.

Okay I probably should’ve mentioned this originally but I need info on how long it stays good for when it’s not in a fridge and kept at room temperature?

Ok, no too long. Not too long AT ALL. The tang will sour and turn rancid.

On a molecular level….the Methadone Hydrochloride will still be active and viable, but drinking this rancid liquid will be Extremely unpleasant. Perhaps add some fresh cold sweet apple juice to mask the horrific taste of spoiled tang

For future reference, if ever again in this situation, put your take home carry bottles Immediately inside the fridge, and cycle your surplus supply with freshly made product.

My old place had a dark brown glass bottle/jug that was like 5-10 L of compounded Methadone 10mg/per ml with that plastic electronic measurement device that the pharmacist dials in the correct dose then hand pumps the liquid Methadone into the dark plastic take home bottle….then adds tang solution to each 6 take home bottles 100ml each

That massive glass dispensing jug could probably last me 2 years of daily usage

Plus in the vault there is several 100 gram jars of pure API crystalline Methadone HCL powder for compounding these solutions of 10mg/per ml

Wish I had the 100kg (220 lbs) plastic drum of Methadone Hydrochloride for compounding…..would last me a lifetime

Also, all medications lose potency over time. This usually only happens once it has passed its expiration date, but this process would probably be expedited by not keeping it refrigerated.

Bottles of cough syrup and other meds that do not have alcohol in it can sit on a shelf for years. But that is probably because of preservatives? Maybe. In this instance I would not worry about the methadone going bad for years. I would worry about how they make it a juice and can it go rancid. I imagine if someone adds some alcohol to the bottle it will last longer.

EDIT: Just realized I need new glasses. This is the tablet mixed with tang as opposed to the cherry liquid. (the title said it lol) With the orange tang stuff I think the only thing a person can do is evaporate down and add alcohol? I do not know. I will let you all speculate as I got mixed up.

Last edited:
I've taken it after 5-6 days out of a fridge because i forgot to put it in. I've known people that kept a 2 week supply and drank it. Mixed with tang.

@Dextro .45 Is it only the taste that is spoiled or will a week old rancid tang solution make me vomit /nauseous or is it fine it that regard?

For the record I’ve had 3 different pharmacists say it’s fine to not put it in the fridge and the other say I really should refrigerate it so idk which is the best option for preventing it inducing any nausea or vomiting etc.

Take a small bottle of orange juice open it, drink half….then leave on your desk for weeks, months…..smell it….you WILL know it’s gone bad.

Or purchase actual Tang orange powder at shopping grocery store….mix a glass, drink half, and do the same……it’ll go rancid

Many product will state on label…..Must refrigerate after opening.

What’s the big deal of putting it inside fridge? I’d want it cold & fresh…..not some warm piss

Putting inside freezer is also feasible….although I don’t know if the Methadone molecule could be altered/damaged/compromised by ice crystals forming in the HCL salt of Methadone. Probably not, but really have no idea.

I would give unrefrigerated Tang mix a "use by" date of 72h after compounding. If kept cold it should be good indefinitely.

Methadone molecule could be altered/damaged/compromised by ice crystals forming in the HCL salt of Methadone.
ice crystals are orders of magnitude bigger than methadone molecules, nothing will happen

if you freeze it there may be some precipitation of less soluble substances (sugar) so make sure to thaw completely & shake well before drinking

refrigerating the Tang solution is a good idea because it is not sterile & is a sugar solution... it can grow moulds/bacteria if kept at room temp

a week old rancid tang solution make me vomit /nauseous or is it fine it that regard?
It could do anything from taste really bad, to causing immediate vomiting, to causing food poisoning that can last days.
You can attempt to salvage a spoiled solution by first filtering, and then boiling (make sure to add additional water to not let the sugar scorch) for 15min to kill any microorganisms, then refiltering once more with a fine-pore filter. This will not remove any toxins that may have been produced but will remove any microorganisms growing in your solution.

I would give unrefrigerated Tang mix a "use by" date of 72h after compounding. If kept cold it should be good indefinitely.

ice crystals are orders of magnitude bigger than methadone molecules, nothing will happen

if you freeze it there may be some precipitation of less soluble substances (sugar) so make sure to thaw completely & shake well before drinking

refrigerating the Tang solution is a good idea because it is not sterile & is a sugar solution... it can grow moulds/bacteria if kept at room temp

It could do anything from taste really bad, to causing immediate vomiting, to causing food poisoning that can last days.
You can attempt to salvage a spoiled solution by first filtering, and then boiling (make sure to add additional water to not let the sugar scorch) for 15min to kill any microorganisms, then refiltering once more with a fine-pore filter. This will not remove any toxins that may have been produced but will remove any microorganisms growing in your solution.

Thanks for the reply but idk if it’s cuz I’m sleep deprived but if I understood I correctly u want me to boil it? If that’s correct can u give me more step by step instructions to make sure I don’t mess that up. In case it matters I need to hide my methadone hence I’ve been keeping it at room temperature but I’ve noticed it tastes off so ya.

I don't know how much more specific I can get,
1. Filter the solution through a coffee filter to remove any bulk mould growths/debris. Rinse the filter paper with a little cold water.
2. Put the solution in an appropriate heat-stable vessel and gently heat it to a boil. As soon as it starts to boil start a timer for 15 minutes. Keep adding small amounts of sterile/bottled/distilled water to replace whatever boils off. You do not want it to boil dry or start to thicken as you risk scorching the sugar and turning it into some sort of disgusting caramelized mess. Don't add too much cold water at once or it will stop boiling, in that case pause the timer until it starts boiling again. But in general as long as it stays boiling you can add as much as you like - just do it gradually.
3. After 15 minutes, filter the solution through another coffee filter, preferably while hot.
4. Let it cool down and drink.

Again, this will not make it taste any better. It will however kill off and remove any microorganisms growing and can deactivate less heat-stable toxins if they were present from e.g. some fungus/mould. But generally speaking it should be safe.
Methadone is stable in boiling water btw.

I just want to confirm that if I put it in the fridge, it will prevent it from going rancid indefinitely correct?

I just want to confirm that if I put it in the fridge, it will prevent it from going rancid indefinitely correct?
Based on the available scientific studies, it's not accurate to say that refrigerating methadone mixed with Tang will prevent it from going rancid "indefinitely." The study published in the American Journal of Hospital Pharmacy found that methadone mixed with Tang was stable for up to 49 days when stored in a refrigerator at 5 degrees C. However, the study did not extend beyond that time frame, so it's unclear how long the mixture would remain stable and free from bacterial growth after that period.

Refrigeration can slow down bacterial growth and the degradation of the medication, but it doesn't eliminate these risks entirely. Over time, even refrigerated solutions can degrade or become contaminated.