• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long after using heroin can I take naltrexone 50mg

Blankenstein

Bluelighter
I had a bit of a google and read on here and couldn’t really find an answer to my question.

I’m currently in a detox facility. I’ve been here for 2 and a half weeks. They think I have not used any opiates in that time, but I have used heroin twice while in here. Once 9 days ago and once 2 days ago. Prior to admission I used every day for about a week and had minimal withdrawals symptoms coming in.

I’ve asked about being put on naltrexone to help when I leave and the doctor has written me a script to start taking tomorrow. They don’t know I’ve used opiates 2 days ago.

After being in here for a couple of days I got someone to drop off a bunch of benzos for me, which I owned up to. That was my one chance so I can’t really admit to using heroin or i will get kicked out.

My question is will/should I have to wait longer to take the medication? I mean I’m not physically dependant on heroin so I’m unsure?

I will probably just pocket the pill for a couple of days and/or take a quarter to begin with.

If Anyone has any advice or experience I would love to hear from you. Thanks.

what's your goal here? are you trying to prevent a relapse with naltrexone?

if you aren't dependent on H anymore it shouldn't cause any major side effects like precip withdrawal

what's your goal here? are you trying to prevent a relapse with naltrexone?

if you aren't dependent on H anymore it shouldn't cause any major side effects like precip withdrawal
Yeh the goal is to use it to help abstain.

Thanks for your reply.

To reduce the risk of withdrawal symptoms caused by OUD, patients should wait at least 7 days after their last use of short-acting opioids and 10 to 14 days for long-acting opioids, before starting naltrexone. - SAMSHA.gov

Seeing you are saying that you aren't experiencjng withdrawals when you're not high from the low (amount?) level in frequency of use - you are probably going to be okay to take naltrexone. Even with the recent heroin use, the level of precipitated WD youll experience here should be low to none.

Before taking, re-assess completely how much, how often, and what your goals are in taking the heroin at all and then wanting to start naltrexone. I'm not here to suggest you keep on heroin, but if you know in your heart that this is just going to cause complications for you rather than this recovery you are seeking out - weigh in every factor before you start this.

Like for me. Antabuse was a terrible decision. It really does make you very sick if you drink on it. Even a little.

Naltrexone isn't quite this level, but it ruins opoids for as long as you're on if. If you're ready to go on, get on it ffs and quit sneaking hsroin into detox! If the forebodkng flipside weighs heavier, than it does and there's no reason to feel ashamed for making choices as you navigate your recovery and life in general.

Have you looked into methadone or suboxone?

To reduce the risk of withdrawal symptoms caused by OUD, patients should wait at least 7 days after their last use of short-acting opioids and 10 to 14 days for long-acting opioids, before starting naltrexone. - SAMSHA.gov

Seeing you are saying that you aren't experiencjng withdrawals when you're not high from the low (amount?) level in frequency of use - you are probably going to be okay to take naltrexone. Even with the recent heroin use, the level of precipitated WD youll experience here should be low to none.

Before taking, re-assess completely how much, how often, and what your goals are in taking the heroin at all and then wanting to start naltrexone. I'm not here to suggest you keep on heroin, but if you know in your heart that this is just going to cause complications for you rather than this recovery you are seeking out - weigh in every factor before you start this.

Like for me. Antabuse was a terrible decision. It really does make you very sick if you drink on it. Even a little.

Naltrexone isn't quite this level, but it ruins opoids for as long as you're on if. If you're ready to go on, get on it ffs and quit sneaking hsroin into detox! If the forebodkng flipside weighs heavier, than it does and there's no reason to feel ashamed for making choices as you navigate your recovery and life in general.

Have you looked into methadone or suboxone?
I’m also taking Antabuse as well actually. I find it good for cravings actually because I know there is no point in me even entertaining the thought of drinking while taking it.

I guess my hope is that naltrexone will kind of act in a similar way to the antabuse. I know that it will block the effects, but also hopefully help take away the constantly thinking about using opiates since they won’t really work.

Yeh I mean I’m feeling more confident in my decision to not use when I leave than I did a week ago, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t thinking of using “just once” when I leave.

At the moment I don’t like the idea of methadone or suboxone because I don’t want to get physically dependent on them and then have to deal with that down the track. Also I feel it’s easier for me to have nothing mind altering at all than have something that gets me kind of high that keeps me wanting to use other stuff.

An example being I didn’t want any benzos coming in here as I’ve abused them for years. then I slipped up on them in here and they ended up prescribing them to me (stupid I know…) Then just having a couple a day made me fixate on them and other substances. So I’ve told them to stop giving them to me.

But yeh I mean I’ve struggled with amphetamines and then alcohol dependency for years, but kind of really only opiates badly the past 12/18 months so trying to get off them is relatively new to me. Just trying to figure out what works for me.

Also I was working a job where I would be working away from home for 2 weeks and then home for 1 week during this period. So would use opiates every day for a week when I was home then pretty much nothing apart from alcohol for 2 weeks and a few benzos/tramadol or whatever I took with me for the first few days of work. So I haven’t had months of continuous use of opiates.

Happy to hear if you have any other suggestions.

I’m also taking Antabuse as well actually. I find it good for cravings actually because I know there is no point in me even entertaining the thought of drinking while taking it.

I guess my hope is that naltrexone will kind of act in a similar way to the antabuse. I know that it will block the effects, but also hopefully help take away the constantly thinking about using opiates since they won’t really work.

Yeh I mean I’m feeling more confident in my decision to not use when I leave than I did a week ago, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t thinking of using “just once” when I leave.

At the moment I don’t like the idea of methadone or suboxone because I don’t want to get physically dependent on them and then have to deal with that down the track. Also I feel it’s easier for me to have nothing mind altering at all than have something that gets me kind of high that keeps me wanting to use other stuff.

An example being I didn’t want any benzos coming in here as I’ve abused them for years. then I slipped up on them in here and they ended up prescribing them to me (stupid I know…) Then just having a couple a day made me fixate on them and other substances. So I’ve told them to stop giving them to me.

But yeh I mean I’ve struggled with amphetamines and then alcohol dependency for years, but kind of really only opiates badly the past 12/18 months so trying to get off them is relatively new to me. Just trying to figure out what works for me.

Also I was working a job where I would be working away from home for 2 weeks and then home for 1 week during this period. So would use opiates every day for a week when I was home then pretty much nothing apart from alcohol for 2 weeks and a few benzos/tramadol or whatever I took with me for the first few days of work. So I haven’t had months of continuous use of opiates.

Happy to hear if you have any other suggestions.
Do what will make you the happiest in your life. I don't know what work is looking like past where you were and going into he future from that post, but if you've got some good work and it's fulfilling in either sustaining your housing / life hat way or fulfilling otherwise, or BOTH I'd be keeping that pretty high on my priorities list.

It doesn't sound like you actually are needing these switches from benzos to alcohol and pills on some rotation, as much as you're just at this point a lot of us drug users get to where there's nothing else to do! It's not true, but I also fill my days with substance to some degree or another - every day. I'm prescribed every thing except the meth I take, and I have managed to slim down on that habit.

I'd drink slim fast but meth is more effective.

That attitude definitely keeps me on the pipe some days. Watch how you're thinking and what your self talk is like (your inside thoughts as directed toward your self, your ego!) and take note.

If you've been telling yourself some bullshit about liking this strategy over the other, but really 'the other is like milk - sweet, baby brother!' - then consider what is really good for your self worth and life in accepting a contrary, anti-establishment lifestyle and just be okay with your use. Not to mention who you are, regardless of some stigmatized issue created once you've identified as being addicted as an 'addict'. Or for anything.

Antabuse and Naltrexone will certainly effect your ability to drink and take any opiate / opioid painkiller. There won't be a point for either. Since you menfion having had an amphetamines habit in your history, maybe the anti-depressant bupropion aka Wellbutrin may be an addition you'll take to? It study, Naltrexone and wellbutrin / bupropion will increase the chances someone will recover by 4x. You're already doing well in this department by the sounds of it, so considering that wellbutrin is a pretty good antidepressant for a lot of people as well - it may hit a hard strike in your issues at home and around this work scenario with the constant drug and alcohol use.

Find a hobby or restart an old one. Make having sober days and / or days in which you make somse set progress in an area of life you feel is lacking. Study more (everyone studies something to some degree), skills build. All that lame shit like making your bed and stuff. It's actually for the better, on the inside!

Talk to someone you love. That always helps.

Hey there you should be fine,also just in case you did not know, naltrexone blocks the heroin high as well as other opiates. So dont try to keep snorting and snorting opiates trying to get high after taking naltrexone because youll end up overdosing. I know because i take naltrexone and my psychiatrist told me this. I believe naltrexone stays in your system for atleast a month that might be something to double check on!