• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How is the job market where you live?

Got to love how the unemployment level goes down yet the fact that the people dropping are like flies out of the labor market and becoming discouraged workers has no bearing. RP2012

In the US atleast, the official rate (u3) is pretty much on par with the rate that includes discouraged workers (u4) and has been dropping steadily since the end of 2009. Things seem to be picking up slowly but surely.

I start pharmacy training tomorrow. I have already applied to every pharmacy in a 50 mile radius. I have called every store manager and left messages. I'm going into every store and volunteering to work for free, even if it's sweeping the floors from midnight to noon. I will use every trick I can think of or find on the internet. I will knock on supervisor doors asking to schedule and interview. I'm not going to lose my house, my family's home, and my cars, and go live in a box. I am going to fight for a job and I am going to GET a job. PERIOD

Jobs in Brisbane are pretty crap as well. I have been looking to move out of hospitality but I find every job now asks for 1-2 years experience .. and half the jobs you apply for you never hear back..or you get the same automatic letter... "Thank you for you time, but you have been unsuccessful".

At the moment I am without a job and an education. I dropped out of uni earlier this year. Was studying psychology but due to several personal experiences I can't picture myself in a place where I am able to help others to the best of my ability, and I can't justify slacking off when it comes to other people's well-being being my responsibility so I think it was the right choice.
I've had several jobs, like working in a factory making sinks, but that ended up hurting my own well-being. I need to be challenged intellectually, but most available jobs require me to just mindlessly accept the boss's orders and do repetitive actions.
I do feel somewhat egocentric, because who am I to think a certain job is too 'low' for me. Remembering my time in the sink-factory, where I brushed 350 sinks and counters a day, every day, and I just can't imagine doing something like that again. It's probably the result of many trips which showed me the beauty of life. I want to do something and contribute, but not in that way.

I'm still holding out for a courier job for the time being. I've done some charity at several places, but I can't wait to start studying again though.

Edit: I am a certified concept developer for media projects, but the world is full with creative people already so getting a job in that sector proved to be quite challenging. Bit of necessary background info of course ;)

^i received a random call for an interview the day of my post, i thought it was strange especially since i applied back in September. :)

i got a call back for a job i applied to last summer. i ended up getting the job this time around tho :)

i live in one of the most densely populated areas in the state. there are tons of people who have bachelor's or master's degrees in non-specific fields competing for jobs. i applied to a couple positions that had over 100 qualified applicants. even minimum wage type jobs are highly competitive because of the sheer amount of people in the area.