• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

how has your relationship with ketamine changed over time?

custard

Bluelighter
it's in the title. please share.

as for me: i've never been a regular ketamine user, as there is no way i could afford it.. but i have used k every few months, give or take, for the past few years.

when i first tried k, about five years ago, it had a positive influence on me. it was my first psychedelic drug, (other than MDMA, which i had only taken in a club context), and it opened my mind in ways i could never have fathomed. it showed me parts of myself i had never met before. i was very stressed out with school and my relationship at the time, as well as struggling with depression, and k taught me how to let go, it provided a "reset" switch for my brain when i got too caught up in negative thought patterns and rumination.

ketamine has always been one of my favourite drugs, and i tend to feel much more subconscious, and much closer to my 'true self' while on the drug. i've always enjoyed it, whether for spiritual exploration or having fun with friends.. but lately i have noticed my relationship with the drug has changed drastically, to the point where i cannot take it anymore. i hadn't touched it in months, and did some with a couple of friends this weekend.

the first line was delightful. slowly things began to appear larger, more vibrant, meaningful, i felt my mind open, couldn't walk so well, all the familiar sensations.. but as the evening wore on, each consecutive line was a disappointment. i felt my mood falling, i felt those negative inner voices pipe up, i became much more self-critical than i am in sober life, (which is a fair bit), i felt less and less like myself, and i got quieter and more unhappy throughout the evening until i was completely silent and just wanted to sleep.

the next day was awful. upon waking, i felt the most depressed i've felt in a very long time. i've struggled with depression for years, and some days are better than others.. but this was awful. i couldn't stop crying. i hardly left my bed all day, and cried on and off for the whole day. here i am a couple of days later, and i'm still struggling to pull myself up after such a great fall.

since the weekend, i've vowed to stay off ketamine for a year, (at least) and told my friends not to offer me any nor tell me if they have acquired any. sometimes i feel a little depressed after a k-binge, but it's never been as bad as it was this weekend, especially the aftermath. i'm curious if others have experienced this with k, or other psychedelics, and if anyone has thoughts on why. i suppose it's hard to find a simple cause without sharing a lot more about myself, but still curious about others' thoughts and experiences.

I loved it for many years, then I began abusing it. Heavily.
When you go through a half ounce in a week it changes. You develop a permanent tolerance and you lose a lot of the joyful aspects of the drug.
I went through 8 grams of ketamine last week and 4 the week before that, missed two calculus assignments which is ridiculous considering I am a pretty smart person and math has always been somewhat of a strong point of mine.
Now it seems every time I do it I experience what you experience, depression the morning after, and occasionally it is extremely severe.
On the weekend I vowed to make changes, I'm gonna try to take a lengthy break from ketamine until I can push past the mindset which fuels my addiction.

Aside from a brief period when I first started using it, I've only ever abused it. As a result, this year I began limiting my use to only buying 3-5 grams at a time (which lasts the weekend) and then laying off it for a few weeks. As I get it from the Internet, there's no real issue with being able to grab some on a whim. I do know people irl that I could buy from but I can't bring myself to pay 4x as much as I'm used to paying.

When I say abuse, I mean I used to buy 7-14 grams at a time, use it for every waking minute I was not at work, and made sure the supplies were replenished before I ran out

I never experienced any physical or psychological negatives as a result of my abuse, but it fucked my life a bit anyway, it made me pretty much completely useless.

the tolerance comes and goes, I've never gotten addicted to it despite having large amounts of it around for months at a time. I've never gotten depressed from ketamine or any dissociative, but it could be a sign you need a break. B12 and magnesium seem to help my dissociative tolerance return to an enjoyable level. I haven't had it in a while, I feel like I'd probably get a pretty nice antidepressant afterglow from it if I did it again now. There have been more than a few times where I attempted to have a meaningful vision filled K-hole and basically just felt like I got anesthetized instead.

mxe is betterrrrrrr

Last edited:
still my fav drug to fuck with; though i wish i still had that amazingness it originally had for me but i guess that never lasts with anything :/ . tolerance seems pretty permanent; a little used to go a looong way; now even with large breaks its only the first one or 2 that even does anything... or maybe im just getting shitty k lol..

still my fav drug to fuck with; though i wish i still had that amazingness it originally had for me but i guess that never lasts with anything :/ . tolerance seems pretty permanent; a little used to go a looong way; now even with large breaks its only the first one or 2 that even does anything... or maybe im just getting shitty k lol..

No I have noticed this as well.
I took a three month break and my first gram got me mangled and after that it was back to regular tolerance

My relationship has gone from desperation to desperation as i haven't been able to get any for about 3 months in brighton

it seems like a lot of people are saying the shitty ketamine experiences/k-related depression is linked to abuse and tolerance.

i guess what confuses me is that i've never really abused k. when i get my hands on it i do tend to go through a large amount in a 24 hour period, but then i don't touch it for months. before this weekend, i hadn't used it since summer, and never before have i had such a terrible reaction. usually i'm left with a revitalizing afterglow instead of a crippling depression. i don't see why i would suddenly have a tolerance when my usage has been pretty much the same for years.. what changed?

(i know there's a '50 trip limit' with DXM and i have certainly cashed in all my DXM credits.. never heard that about k tho)

What's better about mxe?

I find it much warmer and much more lucid, and overall a lot more fun. Also it's got wonderful social effects, I end up having amazing conversations and insights with my friends every time. I also find it more psychedelic, and it lasts 2.5 times longer. There are distinct similarities. I have holed on K a few times and on MXE a few times, and my best MXE hole was far better than any K hole I have had. On the way to the "peak" of the hole, I recalled a whole bunch of K hole moments which I had forgotten because K gives me significant amnesia, and then I went farther. I usually use lower doses of MXE though as it's so much fun.

I was a Ket zombie for a couple of years, up to an eighth a day (3.5grams)... i had such a good cheap connect, bought half or whole liters... over that period i loved my ket till the very end, but when i changed location, it was a blessing i believe or i was heading straight for bladder problems for sure, and would have continued isolating myself more and more as i did towards the end of my use...

I've used since a few times, and absolutely loved it, but no desire to find a good connect here, it would ruin my current relatively good "life in general" situation i've spent so long working on... but i do do MXE now from time to time (cheaper and easily obtainable)....

My relationship, well K was a friend at first, then later we got passionate and got married... then later after a lot of abuse we got divorced. Chronic tolerance is a huge asshole but it does help make it less interesting to keep pursueing.