• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How good is Tagamet as a potentiator for Oxy?

Tboy246

Bluelighter
I've heard conflicting things about Tagamet being used as a potentiator for oxycodone.. What do you think and what are your experiences with using it with oxy? Does it increase or decrease the high? Is it worth it? Thanks in advance!

simple answer
if using oral ROA
the tagamet will help keep more of the drug in your system for a longer period of time
it wont get you high off your ass but you should feel it more
taking the tagamet wont allow the liver produce the enzymes it needs to break down the oxy as fast as it would normally
def worth a try but use precaution

milk thistle and hydroxyzine are others worth looking at as well

I usually take 600 mg Tagamet with it. I've noticed the buzz lasts longer than without. It won't change bioavailability very much but can lengthen the half life a bit. Some people have a glass of white grapefruit juice ~ 30 min before but I stopped a long time ago because that stuff tastes so horrible.

Well, there is definitely literature out there that supports cimetidine (Tagament) inhibition. It inhibits the CYP3A4 which is an enzyme that is responsible for the oxycodone -> noroxycodone (which has no opioid receptor affinity). I'm not sure how it affects peak plasma concentrations, time to peak plasma concentration or half life. From my experience it seems to make the high last longer, but not as intense. This has also spurred my to do more research into various inhibitors.

A bit off topic, but, I just read a paper on Grapefruit juice administration to patients receiving 10mg Oxycodone and they took blood samples. They found it significantly inhibited the CYP3A4 metabolism and increase plasma concentrations and prolonged the halflife of oxycodone. It's also important to note that patients took 200ml of grapefruit juice (they didn't specify white/red) three times a day. On day 4 they took the 10mg oxycodone. The authors posit a lot of inhibition is happening in the GI tract before being transported via the portal vein to the liver. It opened my eyes to think there are cytochrome enzymes in the small intestine that start metabolizing drugs before the liver. The study also found elevated levels of oxymorphone and noroxymorphone from metabolism by CYP2D6.

I actually enjoy the grapefruit juice. I squeeze it fresh each time!

Anyways, hope that helps!

So far, every time I use cimetidine to potentiate my methadone, it helps the pain more, but I wake in the middle of the night feeling slight withdrawal symptoms. Not worth it imho.