• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

how good is idarevone

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
idarevone is a powerful antioxidant, approved in Japan for treatment or prevention of serious brain damage following stroke or psycholigal disorders e.g. bypoler and psychosis. It works by strongly scavenging free radicals and ROS of many types, and through this mechanism it blokes methamphetamine neurotoxicity according to some studies. However, the way this compound is described by scientific papers, e.g.: powerful stable antioxidant with high availability to the CNS after oral ingestion, make its benefits sound some what overexadurated or too good to be true. What are your thoughts, has anyone tried it?

It would be nice if you could include the papers you have read in your post. I have never heard of the substance and apparently neither has Google as I didn't get any results from searching for that. Anyway, a "powerful stable antioxidant" seems to contradict itself. The more powerful an antioxidant (or any reagent really) is, the less stable it is. Stability is the tendency of a molecule not to react with its chemical surroundings or decay by itself.

I'm doubtful that there has been discovered a magical omnipotent antioxidant, there is usually a catch or it turns out that the stuff isn't all that good after all. But as I said, I'd like to read the papers first before saying anything more.

Until there's evidence that points otherwise, this is probably a compound that is mildly beneficial at best. Antioxidants are cool but they aren't panaceas.
It reminds me of piracetam or antipyrine... the latter of which is no longer in use due to negative effects on blood cells.

Sorry, I gave the wrong spelling for the compound, it is actually called edaravone. I would love to post the articles I read, but due to my vision problems I struggle. However, try googling edaravone and see what comes up.