• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How frequently can a low dose of Dextromethorphan be taken?

Lysergaman

Bluelighter
Hey people, Ive been taking 45-60mg of DXM three times a week so I dont develop tolerance from Kratom too quickly. Ive seen a lot of posts about how frequently you can take a DXM dose thats 1st plateau or above, but what about the standard medical dose? Does anyone know if its safe to continue using DXM this often, and in this dose range? I use Kratom to treat chronic pain so it is obviously important to me to make sure the Kratom stays effective over long periods of time.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
My Robitussin has 30 mgs of it and you can take it 3 to 4 times a day for cough. Since I've been sick I take 90mgs a day with my opiates and klonopin.

You are very safe at that dose. I never used DXM until a little over a month ago and started out taking 60 mgs a day until my cough got worse and I added a lunchtime dose. Obviously I don't have a tolerance to it since the time frame is so short.

Your fine man- You could up it a bit- take 30mg once or twice in between- although what your doing seems to work, and is completely safe, every couple days or so-Mot sure it’s exact effects m(benefits) on kratom, though you are fine

Dextromethorphan (DXM) is, in general, safe and non-toxic. For people who use very large doses of DXM for long periods of time, there are studies that seem to indicate complications, including but not limited to, Olney's Lesions can occur. This doesn't apply to you or anyone else using reasonable doses of DXM, but I always try to give the full picture.

There should be no complications from what you are doing.

I don't knowthat there is a designated length of time that it's safe to use DXM daily, in concert with kratom, simply because there is not any medical literature investigating this. I do know that there is a decent amount of research in the medical community on DXM being used as an adjunct to opioid treatment, for neuropathic pain, and demonstrating possible anti-inflammatory effects. Personally, I think there is a lot of untapped potential in DXM for pain management.

My experience:
I use kratom daily and have for going on four years now. I use kratom for diagnosed chronic pain due to congential malformations of the spine, which is causing progressive degeneration and increasing pain.
The past 3 years I've been consistently consuming 28 - 40 grams/day of red bali/borneo/sumatra in 2 - 3 doses of 10 - 15g per dose; high quality plain leaf. It has kept me functional and able to maintain a productive life. I began using DXM about two years ago hoping for added relief due to (possible) anti-inflammatory properties and potentiation of kratom. IME DXM absolutely potentiates kratom, as well as synergizes nicely. My experience is that, over time, kratom without DXM was not as enjoyable or powerful and has led me to maintain daily DXM use along with kratom. I take 30 - 90mg DXM per day in a single dose in the evening. I do not experience withdrawal from the DXM if I do skip a day, and I have taken up to two weeks off the DXM as I too am concerned about it's negative health effects. However, I have not encountered any negative health effects that I am aware of and continue this regimen daily. The nausea can be overwhelming though. I have an Rx for ondansetron or I would not be able to maintain the kratom doses; I've experimented without ondansetron and I vomit every time.

That's just my anecodtal experience