• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How fast does tolerance build up with pure OPIUM?

friend223344

Greenlighter
Hello all,

this is my first post so please bear with me if I'm in the wrong subgroup, but my question seems to fit here well.

A few weeks ago I decided to try Opium (yes, that sticky black/red mass from the middle east) and managed to acquire some high quality smoke Opium (chandu it's called if I'm not mistaken).

Since I'm very careful with Opiates, especially with strong ones, I wondered how long it would take for my body to build up a tolerance high enough to cause real suffering when I stop taking it?

I have smoked it on NYE for the first time (I managed to get high a bit, smoking it really requires some practice. Felt pretty good, even though I wasted half the mass I weighed up before smoking it (0.2g). I should mention I have a slight Opioid tolerance from experimenting a bit over the last 2 months with opioids in general.

Now the last 3 days I've been making and drinking Opium tea by dissolving little bits of the mass in hot tea and sipping it. I ended up drinking 0.5g yesterday over the day which got me high AF towards the night and I nodded away into sleep.

Now my question is: Should I stop now and do a break? I've heard that if you use Opium four days in a row and stop, you already get nasty withdrawals.

On the other hand, you can take opiates like Codeine for like 2 weeks straight before developing a bodily dependence, and even then the withdrawals aren't that bad.
Since Opium is mostly Morphine, how many days can I do it in a row before getting in the danger zone (hard withdrawal)? I've heard it's like a light version of Heroine withdrawal if you get addiceted to Opium and I really don't want to cross that river.

I absolutely have no problem with stopping now or doing a break to reset.

Does anyone know more?

peace&love

I think it's extremely subjective and as such wouldn't want to attempt an answer.

I've used it fortnightly, sometimes weekly for the last 10 years or so. Sometimes I'll go a month/6 weeks without. Always jigh quality stuff, always orally, my dose ranges from 120mg-220mg depending on pain levels and what I'm wanting to get out of taking it for on that day

It's always been single day use for me though, very occasionally have had it 2 days running but wouldn't be keen to go beyond that

I've heard that it can be a brutal addiction if you're not very careful with it. That makes sense to me given that you're ingesting Codeine, Morphine and Thebaine all at once, along with all the other less potent alkaloids in the opium

So - be careful. I'll also say that my successful 'chip' (if you can even call it chipping) is extremely rare with opiates, and I think that may be because it's just not my DOC at all. If I had a bag of stimulants and started on them, well, that would be a different story. YMMV. I'm also superkeen to keep tolearance low etc as I use medicinally (pain)

I took raw opium when 15 in punjab India for 3 weeks every day few times a day . You don't have to dose often it long acting . When I came back to UK I had only mild diarrhea.
Raw opium does have a long wd much more then herion just like pods

Thank yo for your answers guys.

So @ageingpartyfiend, if I understand you correctly, you rarely took Opium 2 days in a row and never 3 days in a row, so to not risk getting addicted?
I mean yes, the withdrawals are hard, but the main acting opiate is Morphine and there are people who can take Morphine like 10 or 14 days in a row and only get "a common cold" for 2 or 3 days as withdrawals, which doesn't sound THAT terrible compared to Heroine, if you know what I mean. Maybe it's different with Opium though since it's a mix of alkaloids.

I will stop tomorrow and see for myself how hard and how long the withdrawal goes, I have no intention to becoming addicted to this stuff. But it sure is fun and smoking it on special occassions or eating it for relaxation sometimes is something that I can imagine using it for.

@yubacity So you took it every day for 3 weeks and your only withdrawal symptoms were diarrhea? That's strange, maybe because you were so young and it affected your organism differently?

Thank yo for your answers guys.

So @ageingpartyfiend, if I understand you correctly, you rarely took Opium 2 days in a row and never 3 days in a row, so to not risk getting addicted?
I mean yes, the withdrawals are hard, but the main acting opiate is Morphine and there are people who can take Morphine like 10 or 14 days in a row and only get "a common cold" for 2 or 3 days as withdrawals, which doesn't sound THAT terrible compared to Heroine, if you know what I mean. Maybe it's different with Opium though since it's a mix of alkaloids.

I will stop tomorrow and see for myself how hard and how long the withdrawal goes, I have no intention to becoming addicted to this stuff. But it sure is fun and smoking it on special occassions or eating it for relaxation sometimes is something that I can imagine using it for.

@yubacity So you took it every day for 3 weeks and your only withdrawal symptoms were diarrhea? That's strange, maybe because you were so young and it affected your organism differently?
Mild diarrhea no anxiety really weird and my tolerance was going real high

my experience w raw opium products is they are quite addictive, with an awful wd because you are getting 3 or 4 active opioids in there, like wding from multiple opes at once.

Had quite a close call with it in the past, 16+ hours of bliss. Opioid addiction is way cunning. It sneaks up on people way faster than they notice. It just substitutes so well for the "best day" feeling. Am lucky I didn't have more connections to it. It takes down the best of us, iron willpower be damned. That knowledge is why I don't mess with them at all anymore. Just a bad class of drugs, IMO. Primitive.

I'd take time off of it, like at least a month, to see what happens. If you make the decision to stop but to use again down the road, keep to how long you're stopping for when you stop, and if you don't make it that far, something would probably be wrong.

Hope things turn out well for you!

It does take awhile to build up physical dependence with opium, but BELIEVE ME you want to avoid that like hell. The withdrawals are horrendous.

On the other hand it's a fantastic drug if you do it right, ie don't indulge too frequently or to excess. Golden rule I use is never more than 3 days in a row max, and follow that by 2 x the amount of days off at minimum. Also not use multiple times on the days that you take it. Keep it as a treat if you want the best side of it.

Yeah it's one of those things, going from multiple other opioids including Oxy to Opium (well PST) blew my mind back in the day...

How the hell can you be high nearly all day, all night and feel better than sober the next day from one strong dose?... Half-life that's how, and what keeps you high longer (and has multiple alkaloids: morphine, codeine, thebaine, noscapine, papavine) draws out the suffering in the end.

It's amazing how your metabolism changes to the drug too, when I first started one dose would last all day, by the end I would have to dose large in the morning, large at lunch and larger in the afternoon only to wake in WD

I controlled things for years but it got me like most in the end.

Last edited:
I had a good supply of opium back in the day. I found it WAY more of a head trip than heroin. You can work while on heroin. I couldn't imagine doing opium enough to get addicted. I'd be totally high all day long. Am I the only one who experienced that?