View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How effective is using ketamine to treat depression? Need help quick

nancy145

Bluelighter
I'm having some serious problems right now and my parents are considering sending me away so me and my psychiatrist are kinda at our last resort. He's considering prescribing me IV ketamine, but wants to research it more and also wants me to. Does anyone know how effective legitimate medical ketamine is at treating depression? Does anyone have any person experience with medicinal ketamine? If so, please reply, I really need help quick because I only have so much time to fix my shit before being sent away.
BTW, I'm not looking for infromation on dangers, side effects, etc. I'm writing a separate thread for that.

It's still not very well studied, but there seem to be a significant number of reports that it was quite effective for some people for whom other treatments had failed. It certainly seems worth a try.

Repost from: "Dangers/side effects of IV ketamine in medicinal doses?"

Well Nancy, i can't help you as my experience with ketamine is purely recreational, but Speedking has recently posted about medicinal K for pain management and would very possibly be of some help in this area. If he doesn't chime in soon you might shoot him a PM...?
I hope I am not breaking protocol in suggesting this, but you seem somewhat desperate

I use Ketamine recreationally by IM which I find helps alleviate by depressive mindset and kinda just relaxes me but I can an over do it. I use pharma grade ket which is fantastic no street stuff. I never did IV. I like ket a lot but I find that when I have it on me I'll use the lot in three days and then when I'm wanting it again but dont have any I'm saying to myself right buying more. Mushrooms like the previous lad said are another good option for treating depression like maybe wait and gather a bit more knowledge before you make a choice thats if you have the time. Good luck.

Ketamine has proven effective for treatment resistant (refractory) depression, it is definitely worth a try.

Just so people know, it is not the dissociative effect (NMDA antagonism) that is thought to be responsible for the efficacy in treating MDD, rather it is the metabolite HNK that modulates AMPA receptors and stimulates mTOR. For this reason, they usually try to dose ketamine low to actually avoid dissociation (the standard, normally desired, abuseable effects).

That sounds like a bad idea to me. I think micro-dosing mushrooms or 4-aco-dmt would be much healthier psychologically and physically.

http://bluelight.org/vb/threads/789208-Best-drug-to-microdose-for-depression

Actually, ketamine is now prescribed in the US for treatment-resistant depression after numerous studies and clinical trials were done as to its effectiveness. It's done under the supervision of a doctor, a continuous IV infusion if I remember correctly. It seems to work on a neurochemical level as opposed to psychedelics which can be used in order to face the issue and resolve it.

It's certainly worth a try.

Low-dose ketamine worked for me. But it is always tempting to take more to go down the rabbit hole.

Low-dose salvia worked well too. And it's harder to make an habit of it. Too bad it's so hard to find now in Canada :(