• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides How do I prevent vomiting/nausea on LSD?

lovesick

Greenlighter
I'm considering ordering some 1P-LSD in the near-ish future.

But I have a pretty severe phobia of vomiting. Even hearing another person dry heave in public is enough to send me into a panic. I literally shake and hyperventilate when that stuff happens. It's embarrassing and it sucks.
I would almost certainly have a bad trip if I puked.

On a positive note, it's been a very long time since I got sick. Eating bad food hasn't made me do it. Being ill with gallbladder issues earlier this year didn't make me vomit. So I'm a little optimistic.

Would taking Pepto or Dramamine beforehand help? I think I also have Zofran (or some other anti-emetic) but I don't know if that would affect the trip or not.

Also, should I trip on an empty stomach or eat a meal beforehand? Perhaps eat a little snack if I'm nauseous?

Honestly, this phobia is just preventing me from doing a whole lot of stuff, lol. Kratom, DMT, you name it. I'm terrified of puking from them. I guess ayahuasca is out of the picture. So is an LSA extraction.

Zofran is the way to go. I use it most times I trip on psychedelics as I am really prone to nausea/vomiting on psychs.

I have a strong stomach but I would suggest going with the antihistamine because it would also help to prevent the mucus production I always seem to get with LSD. It isn't that bad but it feels weird. I smoke so maybe that is part of the issue but I always feel like I have mucus in my lungs I need to cough up.

LSD and DMT don't really cause nausea for me. I get it from mushrooms sometimes. But I can toss and wash kratom so I'm probably not the best person to be giving advice on this. Your fear of it happening is worse than what you're thinking it'll be like. I used to have a fear of puking but I've learned not to worry about it or fight it. Either I puke and feel better in a few minutes or I don't.

The biggest problem I have with this when doing mushrooms is remembering if I puked or not. I once got some bad nausea from mushrooms while I was tripping in the basement of my parent's house. I relocated to my room upstairs and for a time to the bathroom. I was hugging the toilet for a while expecting to puke. It never happened. Once my stomach settled and I went back to the bedroom I got into a thought loop. I couldn't remember if I'd puked in the basement before coming upstairs. It was the only reason that made sense at the time for why I couldn't puke in the toilet. Then I got worried that if I did puke I probably didn't clean it up. But I didn't want to make a lot of noise and wake up my parent's. So I was dealing with the fear until I could work up the courage to go check. Mushrooms are always like that for me.

Ginger is a very effective natural anti-nausea treatment. I have sometimes filled a gelcap with powdered ginger - maybe 2g - and taken it half an hour before big LSD trips and it noticeably reduced body load and nausea compared to similar doses taken straight.

If I feel nauseous during the comeup on LSD I also chew on crystallised pure ginger pastille lozenges which give pretty quick relief.

I also remember considering taking Dramamine in an attempt to reduce body load and nausea but ruling it out as potentially dangerous with LSD. I can’t remember exactly what it was that worried me but the active ingredient is hallucinogenic in large doses and potentially disrupts the pathways that LSD activates in producing a psychedelic trip. So it may reduce the efficacy of LSD or the character of the LSD experience. I also worried that the LSD would enhance the antihistamine drowsiness effect leading to a very sluggish feeling trip.

All hypothetical conjecture though.

Interesting, I didn't know people got nauseous from LSD. I used to get really nauseous from phenethylamines, but uit somehow just stopped over time and I haven't gotten the slightest bit nauseous from any psychedelic in a long time. Never did from LSD though, that was always one of the things I really liked about it, no bodyload really at all.

I don’t think it is necessarily the LSD per se as much as the state of the individual. I’ve had tabs from the same sheet where I felt light as a feather as I came up one week and quesy and heavy as a brick with body load on the same stuff a fortnight later.

LSD seems often to magnify feelings in my body. For example, if I’ve taken it after 2-3 days awake and active on stims but otherwise feeling chill and perfectly content and happy vis a vis set and setting it immediately activates that sleep deprivation and hiiden exhaustion and totally knocks me on my ass even at low doses. I’m lucky to keep my eyes open let alone get off the sofa in that situation.

Similarly, when I took it a few weeks after a prostate operation I spent half the trip thinking I could now feel the post-op inflammation even though it was imperceptible to me over the prior trip.

So I’m not surprised people with a bit of pre-trip anxiety felt in the guts find that much magnified during the comeup.

i only get nauesa on LSD if i have been eating processed foods and dosing massive amounts of tabs

Zofran is great for psychs as it blocks 5ht3 receptors so is probably germane to psychadelic nausea (as there may be off target 5ht3 effects from psychs).

It also doesn't dull trips or provide shitty sedation like antihistamines do (though if you gotta take antihistamines, meclozine is my favorite for reducing nausea during a trip).

Zofran is great for psychs as it blocks 5ht3 receptors so is probably germane to psychadelic nausea (as there may be off target 5ht3 effects from psychs).

It also doesn't dull trips or provide shitty sedation like antihistamines do (though if you gotta take antihistamines, meclozine is my favorite for reducing nausea during a trip).
Do you think it possibly increases risk of Serotonin Syndrome with LSD?

No, LSD and classical psychedelics do not have a risk of serotonin syndrome as they don't release or increase serotonin, but instead mimic it in the receptor. It's possible ondansetron/Zofran could make psychedelics a bit stronger though, I am not sure if it actually does based on anecotes though.

One time I took a massive dose of liquid lsd and most definitely projectile vomited 🤮 into my friends bathroom. Probably still smells in there. Well my friend spilled some on himself and had the same reaction. So didn’t feel as bad. We kinda played that sword fighting pissing game but instead of pissing it was vomit. Lol 😝.

But other than that never had much nausea on acid.

Ketamine though….USED to cause me to vomit a lot. Especially the first time doing it in a while. It was straight to the toilet. Anyone know why this phenomenon has stopped??? Maybe I got used to the K or something. Possibly something internal but I’m not sure. But it’s surprising to me I hardly get nauseous on K anymore actually. Quite a relief for my Drug Of Choice.

I tried a med once called Dramamine and it didn’t do much benefit. Should have tried zofran. But alas, I was on ssris but now I’m off. Maybe that was making me vomit but I’m not sure 🤔.

Do you think it possibly increases risk of Serotonin Syndrome with LSD?
I think it is likely safe with serotonin agonists.

There are reports of it causing serotonin syndrome in patients taking ssris, but they seem rare compared to the rates those 2 drugs are prescribed.

Nevertheless in the interest of safety I would probably advise avoiding zofran when taking mdma.

probably germane to psychadelic nausea (as there may be off target 5ht3 effects from psychs).
i always get the feeling in my bowels that i have to take a shit everytime i trip, but am never able to pass stool.

i figured it may be due to the 5HT wonkiness in the enteric nervous system, glad it's not just me that feels this (as none of my tripping friends report this nausea)

i always get the feeling in my bowels that i have to take a shit everytime i trip, but am never able to pass stool.

i figured it may be due to the 5HT wonkiness in the enteric nervous system, glad it's not just me that feels this (as none of my tripping friends report this nausea)
I get a similar off-ness from serotonin agonists, the worst is dxm for me (and tramadol, and I expect bog standard ssris to be similar). I just feel off and crappy but never have to throw up. It is a big reason I avoid dxm even though I think it is great material for mental exploration.

I get a similar off-ness from serotonin agonists, the worst is dxm for me (and tramadol, and I expect bog standard ssris to be similar). I just feel off and crappy but never have to throw up. It is a big reason I avoid dxm even though I think it is great material for mental exploration.
SSRIs and (SNRIs) made me lose my appetite but i wouldn't say it was really discomfort like the psychedelics cause. relatedly, MDMA without fail causes me to poop while coming up.

i've only done dxm once and i was stuck on the top bunk of my dorm unable to move my legs because i was so dissociated with my headphones blasting Duke Ellington. needless to say, i couldn't really feel what was happening in my gut.

Interesting, I didn't know people got nauseous from LSD. I used to get really nauseous from phenethylamines, but uit somehow just stopped over time and I haven't gotten the slightest bit nauseous from any psychedelic in a long time. Never did from LSD though, that was always one of the things I really liked about it, no bodyload really at all.
Same i dont get a bad body load at all from LSD. Mushrooms have given be bad/weird bodyload before. phenethylamines have pretty much always made me nausea. DOx chemicals DOC&DOB to be exact had strange body loads. NBOMe also gave me a unpleasant load Maybe the worst of them all though for me would be Hawina baby woodrose seeds or saliva...

Though I have seen a friend throw up from taking 330ug lsd after some drinking.