How do I let my roommates know that their fighting is causing anxiety attacks?

Ijustneedavent

Greenlighter
So I have recently moved in with my engaged friends, and I love them to death. But they often argue and fight and it brings up bad memories for me that send me into an anxiety attacks. They don't know cause I don't have a visible anxiety attacks, its more on the inside. It gets hard for me to breath, I can't focus on anything, and I can't talk at all to let them know how I feel when it comes on. I don't want them to feel like they need to be careful or anything around me, but I want to let them know. How do I do that?

You might have to tell them as you are moving out. I doubt that they want to fight, and I'm not sure that their knowledge of your condition will really do much to change the situation. If they are close friends it might be good to say something bluntly but still respectfully. Tell both, or one, that you don't have any hard feelings towards them but that hearing them fight reminds you of some fucked up stuff that happened in the past.

Apart from that, might be helpful to try some different types of therapy if it bugs you that much. Can't control the world around us, but we can change the way we respond. It doesn't have to haunt you forever.