• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos How do benzo's (particularly Diazepam) and Antipsychotics Interact?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Would my chlorpromaine (low dose, 50mg a few times a day) or Quetiapine (the occasional 25mg) negate or take away from the enjoyment of the Valium or would it have a potentiating effect like other sedative (alcohol, opioids..)?

Chlorpromazine is a pretty powerful first-generation anti-psychotic, and it will completely swallow the effect of the diazepam. Not that you won’t feel the combined effect of both, but the chlorpromazine will overwhelm it. I would expect seroquel to act similarly.

Maybe the diazepam will somewhat reduce the akathisia from the anti-psychotic and make it slightly less anhedonic. But I wouldn’t risk a benzo addiction for that purpose.

To be fair, both Thorazine and Seroquel should be sedating/anxiolytics enough on their own. Depending on indication, I would suggest only one or the other, as both at the same time is probably unnecessary.

Chlorpromazine is a pretty powerful first-generation anti-psychotic, and it will completely swallow the effect of the diazepam. Not that you won’t feel the combined effect of both, but the chlorpromazine will overwhelm it. I would expect seroquel to act similarly.

Maybe the diazepam will somewhat reduce the akathisia from the anti-psychotic and make it slightly less anhedonic. But I wouldn’t risk a benzo addiction for that purpose.

To be fair, both Thorazine and Seroquel should be sedating/anxiolytics enough on their own. Depending on indication, I would suggest only one or the other, as both at the same time is probably unnecessary.

I wasn't gonna take benzos FOR that reason. I'm prescribed the antipsychotics and sometimes I take them, sometimes I don't/
I just recently started using Valium again for unrelated reasons.