• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

How come sometimes you have a comedown, others you dont?

Cdilly93

Bluelighter
It seems logically you would have some sort of comedown everytime, because from MDMA your serotonin gets depleted right? from my understanding even over a dose such as 120mg can completely deplete your serotonin, that being said shouldn't it be for certain you have a comedown the days after? i've never experienced a bad comedown yet, only afterglows, but then again the whole afterglow doesn't make sence to me either due to serotonin depletion.

Afterglow's are usually a result of increased serotonin receptor density (note that this is NOT actual stores of serotonin). When you release serotonin, receptors on the end of the neuron receiving the serotonin are activated. Thus, when you release a high amount of serotonin you activate and temporarily increase receptor density. This effect can last even after serotonin in the synapse goes back to baseline (hence the afterglow). This is also why some people crash a few days later. Serotonin receptors are increased the day after MDMA, but then they go back to normal or even below baseline (which would be the comedown). This comedown can then last a while because serotonin re-synthesis is depleted (MDMA blocks the natural pathway to creating serotonin), so your serotonin system struggles to recover because it is depleted in natural stores (this is where 5-HTP can help).

Something to consider is that MDMA is often taken with other stimulants. The combination of stimulants is also likely severely worsen the comedown. Clean MDMA consumption is less likely to cause a comedown. I've never had one with it.

It seems logically you would have some sort of comedown everytime, because from MDMA your serotonin gets depleted right?

Every roll happens under different conditions, i.e. different dose, different setting, different levels of exercise, sometimes even different chemicals. Even if all outside conditions were equal, there's no guarantee that your roll would be the same every time because your brain chemistry changes from day to day.

from my understanding even over a dose such as 120mg can completely deplete your serotonin

That's not true, for most people a 120 mg dose of MDMA will use up a large amount of serotonin, but not all of it. Without any serotonin, you'd be dead. :) If by "completely deplete," you meant "deplete enough to guarantee an unpleasant comedown," that's also not true.

i've never experienced a bad comedown yet, only afterglows, but then again the whole afterglow doesn't make sence to me either due to serotonin depletion.

If you've been using MDMA for a while, this means you're probably doing it responsibly, which is good. :) Most people who experience unpleasant comedowns find it happens after using MDMA repeatedly over time (gradually depleting reserved serotonin and, as JWills noted, influencing receptor density), not in the first few uses.