• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine How can anyone possible get addicted to crack?

I got hooked by accident.. i had been sniffing for about 8yrs and had never seen it in rock form. I went to a Memorial Day Weekend party and a couple of us went from the pub to a friend's house to have a 'poetry session' (share blow) and the host was cooking some up in a spoon so i asked what he was doing and got closer. He asked me if i wanted to try it and being the curious cat that I'm, i did. He set up a rock on a can with ashes. I only did one hit that night and don't really remember getting a bellringer or even high really; i had been sniffing coke and drinking all night plus i don't think i held the smoke in long enough. Anyway, fastforward 2 months and i tell an old friend i bump into about my experience and he tells me he'll show me how to cook as soon as we get back to our neighborhood. In the meantime, he gives me a bag of dope to sniff... mind u i had never done dope b4. I loved the down high right away and that first cigarette was amazing. In my neighborhood there are but 3-5 ppl dealing rock in a 2.5mile radius, and maybe 15-20 that amount dealing powder. No lie. Problem is i didn't know how to cook, but my boy taught me the bicarb method and even introduced me to a rock dealer and a dope dealer. At first, $50 would suffice and 2 bags of dope snorted after for the comedown... problem is after about 2 more months, i was smoking after doing the dope not knowing the krills actually killed the dope so i started doing more dope. Before i knew it, i was hooked on both. Stimulants were always my thing and after getting on meth and walking off 50mg so i wouldn't get hooked on that as i was told it was worse, i was getting sub strips and selling them or trading them for coke to cook. I now had a $150 a day habit. At the height of my addiction, it became more like $300 a day for like 2-3 months, because i knew sooner or later i was going to face the music (i had charges pending) and i didn't want to even think about having to go away. They weren't drug related nor violent or sexual in nature. When i first got arrested, i got so scared that i knew i couldn't keep doing what i was doing for money and soon enough i was running out and i found myself doing some stupid shit for a hit. I sold a $400 piece of luggage for $20, $240 shoes for $10. I literally hit rock bottom. I even roughed up other fiends for a dealer in exchange for a hit. The inevitable happened and i had to respond for my charges and I'm home now on bail after doing 18months... still facing 6.5-8yrs and a month. My mental health diagnosis along with my substance abuse history are going to get me time served most likely, but I'll still have to do 3yrs parole. No crack for me right now, but it's always on my mind. I just think if you do honest work and have something for the comedown, and a clear conscience you can definitely enjoy it responsibly. I have close to half a million dollars in restitution i have to pay also and it'll probably take 2 lifetimes of honest work to pay it back, but jail truly is for birds and i can't wait for the next 3 years to fly so i can treat myself and truly enjoy my freedom once again. So am i addicted? No, I'm in love with the coco :). Maybe a g or 2 a week followed with some valium or ativan and a nice joint of some Cali bud. No alcohol, no dope.

You should break that up into paragraphs, because it's worth reading but walls of text can make it harder to read. $0.02

Wish you the very best of luck man.

I got hooked by accident.. i had been sniffing for about 8yrs and had never seen it in rock form. I went to a Memorial Day Weekend party and a couple of us went from the pub to a friend's house to have a 'poetry session' (share blow) and the host was cooking some up in a spoon so i asked what he was doing and got closer. He asked me if i wanted to try it and being the curious cat that I'm, i did. He set up a rock on a can with ashes. I only did one hit that night and don't really remember getting a bellringer or even high really; i had been sniffing coke and drinking all night plus i don't think i held the smoke in long enough. Anyway, fastforward 2 months and i tell an old friend i bump into about my experience and he tells me he'll show me how to cook as soon as we get back to our neighborhood. In the meantime, he gives me a bag of dope to sniff... mind u i had never done dope b4. I loved the down high right away and that first cigarette was amazing. In my neighborhood there are but 3-5 ppl dealing rock in a 2.5mile radius, and maybe 15-20 that amount dealing powder. No lie. Problem is i didn't know how to cook, but my boy taught me the bicarb method and even introduced me to a rock dealer and a dope dealer. At first, $50 would suffice and 2 bags of dope snorted after for the comedown... problem is after about 2 more months, i was smoking after doing the dope not knowing the krills actually killed the dope so i started doing more dope. Before i knew it, i was hooked on both. Stimulants were always my thing and after getting on meth and walking off 50mg so i wouldn't get hooked on that as i was told it was worse, i was getting sub strips and selling them or trading them for coke to cook. I now had a $150 a day habit. At the height of my addiction, it became more like $300 a day for like 2-3 months, because i knew sooner or later i was going to face the music (i had charges pending) and i didn't want to even think about having to go away. They weren't drug related nor violent or sexual in nature. When i first got arrested, i got so scared that i knew i couldn't keep doing what i was doing for money and soon enough i was running out and i found myself doing some stupid shit for a hit. I sold a $400 piece of luggage for $20, $240 shoes for $10. I literally hit rock bottom. I even roughed up other fiends for a dealer in exchange for a hit. The inevitable happened and i had to respond for my charges and I'm home now on bail after doing 18months... still facing 6.5-8yrs and a month. My mental health diagnosis along with my substance abuse history are going to get me time served most likely, but I'll still have to do 3yrs parole. No crack for me right now, but it's always on my mind. I just think if you do honest work and have something for the comedown, and a clear conscience you can definitely enjoy it responsibly. I have close to half a million dollars in restitution i have to pay also and it'll probably take 2 lifetimes of honest work to pay it back, but jail truly is for birds and i can't wait for the next 3 years to fly so i can treat myself and truly enjoy my freedom once again. So am i addicted? No, I'm in love with the coco :). Maybe a g or 2 a week followed with some valium or ativan and a nice joint of some Cali bud. No alcohol, no dope.

Good post. I completely agree with what your saying and I do believe cocaine and crack/freebase can be used sensibly. I agree both for the better with no heroin or alcohol, although having never tried it I'm sure a bag to come down is pretty lush.

I disagree with regards to the bicarb method though, it's a no brainer than you get stronger product with the ammonia.

Why would you inagine ammonia is better? Both methods simply revert the salt back to a freebase. In fact bakinsoda offers a far better yoeld and isnt combustible. Advocating ammonia conversion is not only non sensical it is extremely dangerous.

The idea is to take cocaine hcl and bring it back to an intermediate stage of production in its freebase state. Both ammonia and bicarbonate (baking soda) can do that but the latter is far simpler, gives you significantly more freebase and wont literally blow up in your face.

Using cocaine on top of heroine or any opioid certainly makes the withdrawal worse. Interestingly, according to anecdotal reports here on BL, some people were able to get past opioid withdrawal / "skip it" by bingeing on cocaine for long and high enough. While I really don't recommend anything like this, there is much evidence for some shared mechanisms, probably along the dopaminergic route.

In my attempt to edit my post, i accidentally deleted it. I wanted to make it easier to read. Anyway... yes i always heard rumors about ammonia being used and it wasn't 'til BL that it all became clear. When using the bicarb method, ur end product will contain all other bases; amphetamines, other caines along with your actual cocaine base... that being said, if u want a cleaner high, go with the ammonia method.

Ever get that speedy i need another hit after just 2 minutes of exhaling? Chances are you smoked other bases. If you're good for about 15-20mins between hits then you're on the money. To be safe use the ammmonia method and do a water wash... forget the ether part if you're worried about combustion. I like writing between hits and can't reach a plateau with that 3min between hits bs. Go for quality, not quantity.

As for the dope... i was smoking after and needed more that eventually i was started to get dope sick from smoking crack. Crazy as it may sound. So i will limit myself to 2gs on a Saturday followed with some benzo and a little bud for the comedown. No more, no less. Everything in moderation.

Good luck to anyone struggling and remember that there's no detox for coke, because the WD is mental. Be strong and be wise if you're going to do it. The other bases will make you fiend like a rabbit. You want the stuff that gives you a mental orgasm and relaxes you.

I undeleted it for you! hope thats okay. it was a really good post.

In my attempt to edit my post, i accidentally deleted it. I wanted to make it easier to read. Anyway... yes i always heard rumors about ammonia being used and it wasn't 'til BL that it all became clear. When using the bicarb method, ur end product will contain all other bases; amphetamines, other caines along with your actual cocaine base... that being said, if u want a cleaner high, go with the ammonia method.

Ever get that speedy i need another hit after just 2 minutes of exhaling? Chances are you smoked other bases. If you're good for about 15-20mins between hits then you're on the money. To be safe use the ammmonia method and do a water wash... forget the ether part if you're worried about combustion. I like writing between hits and can't reach a plateau with that 3min between hits bs. Go for quality, not quantity.

As for the dope... i was smoking after and needed more that eventually i was started to get dope sick from smoking crack. Crazy as it may sound. So i will limit myself to 2gs on a Saturday followed with some benzo and a little bud for the comedown. No more, no less. Everything in moderation.

Good luck to anyone struggling and remember that there's no detox for coke, because the WD is mental. Be strong and be wise if you're going to do it. The other bases will make you fiend like a rabbit. You want the stuff that gives you a mental orgasm and relaxes you.

Absolutely great post man! I completely agree with this. You can use in moderation, and as you say 100% go for quality over quantity, even when buying the product initially!

Why would you inagine ammonia is better? Both methods simply revert the salt back to a freebase. In fact bakinsoda offers a far better yoeld and isnt combustible. Advocating ammonia conversion is not only non sensical it is extremely dangerous.

From experience. Freebase never did anything remotely close to crack when I used it. I tried numerous times, only the ammonia turned crack ever made me feel like I did.

To the point that when electronic cigarette first became popular I tried them to quit smoking. I would go up to the nicotine overdose point but never got the rush I get from smoking a cigarette. I always suspected the ammonia in real cigarette played a big part in this. Maybe it helps absorbed the (Nicotine/Cocaine) faster, maybe there is some synergic at work, but it was my crack vs freebase experience from back in the days that made me suspect this.

EDIT : To be clear, when I say freebase I mean turned with bicarbonate. When I say crack I mean turned with ammonia. Maybe the definition is wrong but that was how it was distinguished in my hood.

2nd EDIT : Well Wikipedia teached me I was wrong on all counts. Freebase is crack no matter how it was reversed from hydrochloride form. And from what I get, it should make no difference if it was made from Bicarbonate or Ammonia. My only explanation from what I've experienced (which there is absolutly no doubt happened and wasnt even near psychological and anything but subtle) would be either the poor expertise of the different person who cooked with bicarbonate when I tried it or most likely when I would smoke a quarter gram of crack it would have been uncut where when I would smoke a quarter gram of coke reversed to freebase with bicarbonate the actual coke would have been a lot less in fact. That would explain why it seemed to be night and day smoking one or the other.

Last edited:
cooking crack with bicarb is an art.
i will explain how i learned, and the only way that works for me.
i add the coke to a spoon. add about half the amount of bicarb. or a bit less. dont put too much soda. add a DROP of water with a dropper or ur finger.. and another if u need, to form a paste.
then heat. until it bubbles.
add drops of cold water. u should see oil form and separate out if u did it right. use a nickel. it will stick to the nickel. this is your crack. almost as soon as u pull it out with the nickel, it will dry to a hard rock.
this was the only way that i could get high from crack.. these rocks gave me ringers every time. other people tried making it in microwave with more water and soda and it never really came out right.

The idea is to take cocaine hcl and bring it back to an intermediate stage of production in its freebase state. Both ammonia and bicarbonate (baking soda) can do that but the latter is far simpler, gives you significantly more freebase and wont literally blow up in your face.

But the Cocaine based with Bicarbonate is thus less pure.
You are adding ~25% volume of an inactive substance, compared to just converting the salt to its base form as with NH3.

Crack is not a poor drug or a ghetto drug. I come from a largely rural province and Crack and Coke is everywhere here and Crack is the number 1 drug after Cannabis of course. I got heavy into Crack in my early 20's when i was drinking alot but i never got really addicted to it. However once i discovered the needle and IV coke i got addicted real fast especially when i found out how nice it went with Dilaudid or Morphine in a speedball. I would sit in the corner stabbing myself with a needle trying to find a vein and pay no attention to the blood running down my arm or anything else for that matter. I only smoked Crack during that time when i ran out of veins to hit. Cocaine addiction drove me completely insane and i have never lost control like that even if the depths of my worst Dilaudid habit. I basically lived in a speed up, paranoid, psychotic hell where everyone was out to get me. In my mind atleast 8) . Even after i quit people noticed changes in my personality which lasted for months after.

Most people here tend to buy powder and rock it up themselves using either the ammonia method or the baking soda method.

I think it's hard for those who prefer heroin or other opiates to imagine just because it's not their (our) thing. I've been addicted to h for years with periods of sobriety. I'm currently off dope and decided last night to get a few g's of blow. I forgot just how impartial I am to it...I mean, it's nice, I suppose...but it's not what floats my boat. Now I'm sitting here looking at it wishing I hadn't gotten so much :p I guess it really has to do with your brain chemistry and also what you're exposed to. I do like the fact that I don't physically wd from this stuff though...but it just disappoints me....

That's a really good point . I had a bag of Mary Jane on my armoire with a few cigarettes for like...4 years before I gave it away. I have quarts of vodka, wine, vanilla vodka, rum, Malibu in a cupboard that've also been there a while. My benzos last a good while as I only feel tempted to use them when I'm having a panic attack.
It's the painkillers that call my name. It's the painkillers that always seem to run out early, and that I am so baffled when people seem to have years' old drugs lying there that they aren't ever tempted to use.
Unless you have an addictive personality (~7-10% of users), you have one vice that calls your name. The rest are just not that special .

That's a really good point . I had a bag of Mary Jane on my armoire with a few cigarettes for like...4 years before I gave it away. I have quarts of vodka, wine, vanilla vodka, rum, Malibu in a cupboard that've also been there a while. My benzos last a good while as I only feel tempted to use them when I'm having a panic attack.
It's the painkillers that call my name. It's the painkillers that always seem to run out early, and that I am so baffled when people seem to have years' old drugs lying there that they aren't ever tempted to use.
Unless you have an addictive personality (~7-10% of users), you have one vice that calls your name. The rest are just not that special .

Quoted for truth !! I used abd abused so many things. Yet never had a problem turning my back on them. I have drinked so heavily since my 20's that at one point I've develloped ethylism, my body would crave alchool when I start drinking. I never drank in the morning, hide my self to drink and all that stuff. When I realized drinking was not pratical for me I just quitted.

Opioids are another beast to me tho. They are calling my name too.

crack ruined my family on my mothers side; her 4 brothers became crack heads and would legit spend thousands a day on crack; they rob people, stores, banks, whatever they could to get their money. it was a very sick thing to see growing up; they turned my grandmothers house into a crack den because she had a 3 family in East Boston (all houses are like that) and her house was legit considered a crack den; I remember as a kid just hearing people run up and down the stairs outside the door all day long. I also remember sometimes walking into my other uncles room (who was 45/50 and still living at home w/ mom) and there would be coke/rocks on a mirror in his room.

sadly enough, I turned out to be a heroin addict. yes, I've smoked crack since I grew up w/ crack but it was never for me. heroin on the other hand, was my true love. I've been doing much better now but its sad to see my mom go through what she has; a family of hardcore drug addicts. and I say HARDCORE because, believe me, none of us did anything "normal" to get these drugs.

When I was addicted to crack I had enough money to smoke it all night and would sleep most of the day/do lines of coke during the day. If i couldnt afford it one night then someone else at the house would share with me, and vice versa.

Yeah agree with the above post that's the way I do it. What a bastard it seems to be getting hold of unscented ammonia in the UK, have to order it online. I've got one more gram of clean labtested 87% by the Dutch method coke on the way then after that I'm done with it.

I think the answer to this question really lies with your understanding of addiction which is usually shaped around your drug of choice, ive never smoked crack but i have quite extensive experience with coke, however like others have said im just not that guy, opiates have always been my friends and stims just a casual acquintance.

From my experience with crack addicts they are either sober most of the time or balancing with other drugs and the argument can be made that the addiction is in seeking the high rather than the high itself, the same reason i believe you tend to hear recovering crack addicts saying things like ive been to 90 meetings in 30 days at NA.

Its hard to imagine escapism in the chasing of a high when your escape is the high.