• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How badly did I fuck up

When i overdosed on paracetamol my first symptom was an overwheling feeling of doom, but that was likely to be as i had realised what i had done and i was probably going to die slowly and not in my sleep as i first thought. I dont recall what symptoms i had after i was rushed to the renal ward and left in a dark room to die alone. Luckily i asked if a nurse would sit and talk with me as i didnt want to die alone in that room but obviously and very fortunatly i did not die.

Most likely it would take more than 24 hours for any symptoms to show up in case of paracetamol overdose.
The really serious ones take days to come on (such as jaundice, failure to urinate etc), but the abdominal symptoms CAN show within the first day and the danger is someone brushing them off as inconsequential. I overdosed on nurofen tabs one time and experienced nausea only around 16 hrs after, the whole scenario ended up with me hospitalised for acute liver failure. That's why I'm pointing it out.

Oh yes i do recall now i was vomiting and they jabbed some anti sickness drug into my arse and it stopped, but my kidneys still declined.

Oh yes I’ve been through the ropes of codeine abuse. It’s a tragedy that codeine is made prescription only because it’s “dangerous” like fucking no - it’s only dangerous because you put the shittest anti-inflammatory and most toxic drug as a combination with it. But the fact that they don’t tell you about paracetamol being potentially life-threatening in seemingly normal doses is purely evil, abhorrently neglectful and just plain fucking stupid.

Sorry you had to go through this mate, sounds like you did the right thing and sought advice and are now planning to go to the ED. You should be fine based on what I’ve read but definitely filter properly in the future!

The vast majority of precipitate would have formed a semi solid puck in the glass overnight, so you probably just consumed run off from the top of it when you poured. Likely over a daily dose of paracetamol but not a death dose. The French press likely removed absolutely none unless it's a rare budget press with a filter.

The vast majority of precipitate would have formed a semi solid puck in the glass overnight, so you probably just consumed run off from the top of it when you poured. Likely over a daily dose of paracetamol but not a death dose. The French press likely removed absolutely none unless it's a rare budget press with a filter.
Thank god I left it over night then. I can confirm I am all good and well haha

Oh yes I’ve been through the ropes of codeine abuse. It’s a tragedy that codeine is made prescription only because it’s “dangerous” like fucking no - it’s only dangerous because you put the shittest anti-inflammatory and most toxic drug as a combination with it. But the fact that they don’t tell you about paracetamol being potentially life-threatening in seemingly normal doses is purely evil, abhorrently neglectful and just plain fucking stupid.
So much truth to this... I gotta say, I've been doing some tramadol along with paracetamol here, never exceeding the daily dose limit of 3000 mg of paracetamol in 24h, which in itself had been enough to cause some nasty discomfort in my kidneys for days after the fact. I'm definitely quitting it now and I'll try and stay away from paracetamol in the future.
Cheers.

I know this is pretty old now, but I would definitely seek medical attention. Paracetamol is frankly, a deadly, dangerous drug. It can cause permanent damage. You're not likely to die from this, but it could cause permanent damage to your liver that could be with you for life. It's not worth risking. Tell the ER you thought they were Vitamin C if you're embarrassed.

go grab some NAC from the vitamin shop. it will replenish the glutathione your liver needs to process the paracetamol

It seems insane to me that they used to put 1000mg of APAP in some formulation of painkillers, it's like they were trying to kill people, it's not like 4-5 pills is that much.

You definitely need to respect the simple over the counter painkillers because they can do a lot of damage with surprisingly low doses.

Well that is the issue, as I used a french press filter (the ones in cafeterias) instead of a coffee filter. Anyone here know if this would have removed at least some paracetomol? There was definitely some gunk that came out but unsure how much of that was paracetomol or other stuff in the pills. At most I would have taken 5-6g as I only took about 60% of the water and I had spilled a little of it to begin with. I'm also a big guy - 5'11 and 16 stone and I've taken some activated charcoal.

However if it turns out the french press was useless I will call 111 and see what they say.

A french press won't remove anything. You don't actually have to use a coffee filter though, you can just wait and let the cloudy stuff (the acetaminophen/paracetamol) setting to the bottom. Then you drink the clear layer. The reason for using a coffee filter is so that you can either not wait for it to settle to the bottom, or so you don't lose the small percentage that you won't be able to drink

Wait a second, Paramol is just paracetamol pills. Why are you even trying this? The point of a cold water extraction is to REMOVE the paracetamol from pills that contain them, but that also contain desirable drugs, tyically opioids. You're not going to get high from Paramol pills. Even if you had properly done a CWE on Paramol pills, you would just be drinking plain water.

When i overdosed on paracetamol my first symptom was an overwheling feeling of doom, but that was likely to be as i had realised what i had done and i was probably going to die slowly and not in my sleep as i first thought. I dont recall what symptoms i had after i was rushed to the renal ward and left in a dark room to die alone. Luckily i asked if a nurse would sit and talk with me as i didnt want to die alone in that room but obviously and very fortunatly i did not die.

They typically use NAC (n-acetyl-cysteine) to reverse paracetamol overdoses... didn't they give you anything?? It seems insane that they would have just left you to either die or not, in the hospital.

Wait a second, Paramol is just paracetamol pills. Why are you even trying this? The point of a cold water extraction is to REMOVE the paracetamol from pills that contain them, but that also contain desirable drugs, tyically opioids. You're not going to get high from Paramol pills. Even if you had properly done a CWE on Paramol pills, you would just be drinking plain water.
I think that's dihydrocodeine. I believe I've read it was withdrawn in Ireland recently. That's all I have to say about that.

They typically use NAC (n-acetyl-cysteine) to reverse paracetamol overdoses

Was about to write this, I bought NAC few months ago as it is also know to help cravings in substance abuse, it stopped my cravings for ketamine, not even kidding, but then reading more up on it, it can lighten the skin, especially if took with vit C which was another pill I was taking to help coming off valium, I stopped both strait away lol, wanted ketamine again within 2 days

They typically use NAC (n-acetyl-cysteine) to reverse paracetamol overdoses... didn't they give you anything?? It seems insane that they would have just left you to either die or not, in the hospital.
I dont recall much of it tbh apart from being on a room alone in the dark. Then when i was still alive the next day they moved me onto an open ward. It was a long time ago mate (about 24 year) and i mainly recall the fear. But yeah im sure they would have gave me something as they were contemplating putting me on dialysis.