• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

House Republicans Want To Sue The President For Not Arresting People For Marijuana

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
The Republican-controlled House passed legislation on Thursday to force President Barack Obama to crack down on states that have legalized marijuana in any form.

Introduced by Reps. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), Jim Gerlach (R-Pa.) and House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), the ENFORCE the Law Act (H.R. 4138) would allow the House or the Senate to sue the president for "failure to faithfully execute federal laws," including those related to immigration, health care and marijuana.

"President Obama has established a disturbing pattern of cherry picking the laws he wishes to enforce," Issa said in a statement. "The Constitution charges the President with the responsibility to faithfully execute all the laws and not just the ones he supports."

A Judiciary Committee report submitted by Goodlatte last week regarding H.R. 4138 chastised the Obama administration for selective enforcement of the Controlled Substance Act, which prohibits marijuana outright. "The decision by the Obama administration not to enforce the CSA in entire states is not a a valid exercise of prosecutorial discretion," the report reads. "The guidance of U.S. Attorneys establishes a formal, department-wide policy of selective non-enforcement of an Act of Congress. This infringes on Congress's lawmaking authority, by, in effect, amending the flat prohibitions of the CSA to permit the possession, distribution, and cultivation of marijuana so long as that conduct is in compliance with state law."

The report goes on to describe the Obama administration's actions on marijuana policy as an "impermissible suspension of the law by executive fiat."

But Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.) told The Huffington Post that he is not alone in the Capitol in his support of the administration's position not to interfere with state marijuana laws, adding that while states continue to craft sensible marijuana policy, Congress continues to drag its feet with bills like this one.

"It doesn't seem right to me to continue to waste our limited resources punishing people for doing something when it's legal under state law, the majority of Americans want it to be legal, and much more dangerous drugs like heroin are making a comeback," Blumenauer said. "I'd rather stop arresting two–thirds of a million people a year for marijuana possession and generate $100 billion over 10 years through taxes and savings."

cont at
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/14/republicans-force-obama-legal-marijuana_n_4964995.html

Every time I see someone support legalizing marijuana who then demonizes heroin I want to strangle myself.

Yeah and Republicans never wage illegal wars...

No wonder the US is shit. You couldn't make America better even if you were God and elected president: the Republican senators and congressmen want to see us back in the dark ages.

This just goes to show how bassackwards some of these politicians are. Apparently these people dont realize that we cant get any laws changed cause the legislative body is so wrapped up in squabble and letting Mr Obama accomplish anything that almost no laws except those that give them funding are getting through. I hope in the next election the republicans get annihilated right out of their house majority.

Fantastic. This is exactly what will provoke Obama into forcing the DEA to remove Cannabis sativa from Schedule I.

Thanks republicans!

Edit - Unless they read this and believe me? Ah crap.

ro4eva your always two steps ahead of the game=D

NSFW:
RAMP

Republican Against Marijuana Prohibition

Facebook

Who We Are

We are Republicans Against Marijuana Prohibition (RAMP), a nonprofit organization and political caucus within the GOP that recognizes prohibition of marijuana to be a failed policy that undermines our liberties. We believe in the conservative principles of limited government, personal responsibility, economic opportunity, and fiscal responsibility.

Our Mission

Republicans Against Marijuana Prohibition (RAMP) works to reform marijuana laws by working within the GOP to educate and connect with lawmakers, party leadership, and grassroots activists. We are the voice for all Republicans who oppose the inhumane and unjust practice of imprisoning people for using the cannabis plant. We support efforts to bring marijuana out of the black-market and into safe, legal, and regulated use by doctors for compassionate medical care and storefronts for adult recreational use.

RAMP rejects the myth that in supporting prohibition, Conservatives are promoting law and order. We wish to change the laws of prohibition that have caused so much harm to those things Conservatives value most, namely individual responsibility, limited government, fiscal responsibility, compassion, and privacy.

Last edited:
So republicans are only for state rights and limited federal government when it suits there political aims. That's nice.

So republicans are only for state rights and limited federal government when it suits there political aims. That's nice.

I think "state rights" means that the federal government shouldn't get in the way of reactionary social policies in the midwest/south, at least to 95% of the people who use the term.

Fantastic. This is exactly what will provoke Obama into forcing the DEA to remove Cannabis sativa from Schedule I.

Thanks republicans!

Edit - Unless they read this and believe me? Ah crap.

I lol'd

Entire states have voted in majority to legalize marijuana, and that should be their decision plain and simple, not the federal governments. Since when do people that don't even live in your state have a better idea of what's right for your state than people who ACTUALLY live there.
Politics and politicians are so fucking stupid

Since when do people that don't even live in your state have a better idea of what's right for your state than people who ACTUALLY live there.

I really cannot stand this either.

It's all about control. You could say it's their addiction. They love feeling like they're in control (slavery must have filled the void - not surprising then how the American civil war started shortly after President Lincoln - who opposed slavery - won the election). And when they lose that control, it's like they're in withdrawal. I know it sounds cheesy as hell, but there it is - hehe.

Normally I'd be flattered that someone very far away who I never heard about, nor whom I ever met or will meet is thinking about me. Unfortunately, this person apparently feels like (s)he was born with the right to tell strangers how to live their lives. I'd put them all behind bars if I could. Repressive sons of bitches. Mind your own life and leave me the hell alone, and leave others the hell alone. If we want your opinion, we'll ask for it.

Last edited:
Why can't California just declare war against the US. This would be real fun.

All this procrastination bullshit is just pissing off my trigger finger.

In ways this kind of government seems like a thing that should be in the past. People are much better able to govern ourselves than a central government, especially nowadays, it is more possible. A central government is bound to be out of touch. It has positives but major negatives. They try to solve this with installing/allowing state and local governments, but not enough autonomy is given to the people.

Government needs to be a process of agreements between all parties, for ensuring mutual protection. Not a nanny. Maybe a fine line. Allowing people to drink and not smoke weed is a major hypocrisy. Allowing people to smoke, and eat red meat more than twice a week... Allowing chains like McDonalds to exist. Marijuana just seems to be in their cross hairs for some reason.

Last edited:
...cause the legislative body is so wrapped up in squabble and letting Mr Obama accomplish anything that almost no laws except those that give them funding are getting through.

Republicans are just doing the same thing the democrats do. There is no way that a democratic congress would let a Republican accomplish anything. At least without a fight. That's how our two party system works. Each party vehemently apposes everything the other tries to do and hopefully at the end of the day we reach some kind of compromise.

^ That is not how it worked when Reagan was prez.
Dems were spineless and gave in to anything he wanted, at least if memory serves correctly.
(I was a child at the time, so my perspective may be a bit off...)

Come on democrats, refuse to fund the DEA. Republicans already taught us that that's a perfectly valid way of opposing a law. I like how you can make the government shut down so you don't have to fund a law, but simply saying not to enforce it is grounds for lawsuit.

The Republicans are right...for the wrong reasons.
And Obama is wrong...for the right reasons.

Both sides/parties are hypocrites.