• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Hospital to be investigated after deaths of over 100 patients injected with morphine

isthisincognito

Bluelighter
The Government today launched a Hillsborough-style inquiry to investigate up to 100 suspicious deaths at a hospital.

Care minister Norman Lamb said the independent probe will look at the deaths of elderly patients at Gosport War Memorial Hospital between 1988 and 2000.

Patients who could have been discharged from hospital alive are feared to have died after being injected with morphine and diamorphine.

Some patients were given “life-shortening” painkillers even though they weren’t in any pain, according to a previous report into the scandal.

The alarming practice continued for years, despite complaints from families, three police investigations, 11 inquests and a professional misconduct hearing.

Today the daughter of one of the victims welcomed the inquiry after campaigning for more than a decade to get the truth about her mum’s death.

Speaking to the Daily Mirror, Gillian Mackenzie, whose mum Gladys Richards died at the hospital following a hip operation, said: “It has taken 16 years to get to this stage and I’m not sure I’ve got another 16 years left.”

She also told how she hoped the inquiry, expected to take two years to complete, would spark a fresh police probe into the deaths.

She added: “It has always been a frustration that there has never been a criminal prosecution. I want to know why not.”

Continued at http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hospital-investigated-over-deaths-100-3840908

Also at http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/in...hs-at-gosport-war-memorial-hospital-1-6169637

^ You mean like a serial killer?

Off topic - Did you ever here about Harold Shipman, a serial killer and Doctor who killed over 250 people in the UK? Scary, but this is nothing like that.

I saw a doc. On him awhile back, well not in him but he was a part of it... Yeah here in the states we had a nurse, in Florida I think, she kept shooting old people up with all kinds of untraceable stuff and killed a bunch of people. We had a few if those over here I think. She said she did it to "end their suffering". It wasn't morph one though, I think it was adrenalin but I'm not positive...

There was a good movie about an English serial killer I saw but I can't remember the name, he buried them in his back yard. Dominic west from" the wire" played the lead guy...great movie though.
Killers name was Fred west, movie was -appropriate adult

I saw a doc. On him awhile back, well not in him but he was a part of it... Yeah here in the states we had a nurse, in Florida I think, she kept shooting old people up with all kinds of untraceable stuff and killed a bunch of people. We had a few if those over here I think. She said she did it to "end their suffering". It wasn't morph one though, I think it was adrenalin but I'm not positive...

We just had a nurse busted here who killed 2 elderly in the nursing home she was working at and they are investigating her for earlier abuse now as well, she's been charged with murder. I think she used insulin from what I recall hearing in the news the other night.

Insulin, that's it!! Same over here , the nurse I was talking about used insulin not adrenalin. I always mix the 2 up. I guess it's tough to find or something. There must be some crazy nurse underground website or something where they share insane ideas lol. They should have psychological testing for people with positions that give them the power over life or death. Not that it would catch many, but maybe a few... We don't hear much about stuff that happens in the u.k over here in the states. They must have a great p.r guy, lol...

^ We don't really here anything about the US unless it affects us directly, or has gone viral.

Overdose of insulin would result in Hypoglycaemia (I think), do you think it would be an unpleasant way to go, or would you just slip into a coma and die?

I've heard of a couple of deaths from nurses doing this, but I'm pretty sure they were both accidental - One was from somewhere in Wales, and the other Manchester.

Here's the case I was talking about, it's only a few days old in the media -

Ballina nursing home deaths: Megan Haines charged with murder over patient deaths

5582204-3x2-340x227.jpg

A nurse has been charged with the murder of two elderly patients at a nursing home at Ballina in northern New South Wales.

Marie Darragh, 82, and Isobella Spencer, 77, were allegedly given unscheduled doses of insulin in May this year, and died shortly afterwards.

Megan Haine, 46, has also been charged with the assault of a third patient.

It is alleged that woman, aged 88, was assaulted when she found the woman trying to inject her with insulin.

Haines was arrested at Seaspray in eastern Victoria on Monday and extradited to Sydney late on Tuesday.

She has been formally charged with two counts of murder and one of assault.

Haines is being treated for severe depression and did not oppose extradition or apply for bail.

She will front Central Local Court on Wednesday.

Topics: murder-and-manslaughter, crime, law-crime-and-justice, ballina-2478, nsw, vic

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-...aths-megan-haines-charged-with-murder/5582938