Hospital can?t find a Vein- have lost my composure

Nightbird13

Bluelighter
A week in with pneumonia and they?ve blown 12 iv?s to the point where i have giant golf ball size swollen pain all over my hands and arms. I understand they need to keep administering the antibiotics but this has gotten ridiculous and I?m tired of having nice nurses to now frustrated ones who are clearly sick of me because I?m either crying, screaming in agony or asking them to stop digging about like the needles are freaking carving knives and they are pitting fruit. Advice, suggestions, how do i not lose my shit or a hand? I?m waiting for the next batch of nurses to come in and they are all saying i have no veins left. I?m so sick and fed up physically and emotionally.

Surprised they haven't tried your legs. Last time I got an iv the doctor ordered they started it in a leg vein, because they couldn't find a vein in my arms.

Maybe try asking them that.

I'm surprised they haven't already put in a port. That's where they go into a big deep vein by surgically opening it. They usually either knock you out or use a lot of local, cut your arm open down to the vein, put in a long catheter that runs up into your chest, then they sew it all up. They do that for people getting chemo or who have other issues where they need regular access to veins without having to stab them over and over. Ask your doctor or the head nurse why they haven't put in a port. Sometimes medical people treat drug users, even past drug users, like shit just automatically. I found that when I was in the hospital for pneumonia I had to do a lot of education of medical people about recovery. I don't know if I changed anybody's mind or not, but I tried.

bptubbs- thanks you, i will try asking thank you. The new shift came on and jammed another part of my hand up, at this point noone seems to care, there was word of an ultrasound to find a vein but they are all like ?since you?re a bad stick we?re gonna see if the doctor says you can just get it in pill form?. The attitudes though!!

LopLover- that?s interesting about the port! Thank you for sharing I?ve never heard of it i will wait on a doctor to ask. I?m not fond of the cutting open idea myself but if it works! Lol. What was your experience with pneumonia? How long did it last? And wow you are lucky to get people to listen, I?ve gotten maybe 3 nice nurses altogether that will even talk to me, out of 10 here so far plus the aides who can?t be bothered they stand outside the room discussing how & why they might buy the iPhoneX instead of answering my help calls to tend to another swelling. A head nurse came in just to insist i keep in in my hand it?s like I?m invisible at this point. And I?m an ex- iv user but it?s obvious they see the track marks, and i hear them laughing about the ink too. All around sucks

IMO it will help if you have someone else there like a friend or family member to be a witness. If not then ask to see the hospital social worker or the hospital patient advocate. No need to tell them why it’s none of their business. You see a lot of these hospitals get paid by funding that relies on patient satisfaction. Don’t worry about them being shitty if you rat them out, they r already treating you like crap so what worse can it get? I had been assigned to many ERs in different States and witnessed horrible treatment. One time an HIV patient came in and it was horrible what I saw the nurses do. I slammed down my books so loud everyone got quite. Went and got two blankets, went into the HIV patient room and helped him. Right now I am still pissed off thinking about that day. I don’t care who or what you’ve done, you are a human being and you are ill and vulnerable. You have rights.

PM your name, hospital, and the number( or I can look it up). I will call for you anonymously or as a friend and talk to the hospital patient advocate for you. I do not mind at all, no worries I know how to keep it professional and get shit done. This is an extra option only if you want and need the help.

Last edited:
I was in the hospital for months, part of the time in a coma.

They put ports in me, and although they moved them around I still have scars. Considering all the surgical scars I walked out with I find my scars on both sides of my neck and arm to be minor.

What DID hurt like a mutha was having blood drawn from my hands twice a day. After waking up a month after I was hospitalized to black hands from the bruises and collapsed veins, I begin to complain of the pain and would pull away and make them draw blood from my arms. They quit touching my hands after that, but I was in ICU at the time and I noticed a big difference in the treatment I got in ICU vs. a regular hospital room.

I was ready to murder everyone for my treatment in a regular room and told my doctor it was time for me to leave, 3 weeks before they even wanted to discuss discharge.

Having a large family, grown children and a family member in my room 24 hours makes a huge difference in what they THINK they can get away with.

Thank God my Mom gave me many siblings and I added 4 children to the mix. It kept them on their toes, though I still felt my care was not the best, especially pain and anxiety treatment. They would show up 2 or 3 hours late for every dose. I missed a dose a day because of that and was happy to go home to my own medicine that I took as needed.

Hospitals should NEVER allow patients to suffer, especially considering what it costs in the US to be hospitalized. I would kick some asses and make a lot of noise if they treated me like the OP, even when I couldn't talk for 7 weeks because of a tracheostomy.

LopLover- that?s interesting about the port! Thank you for sharing I?ve never heard of it i will wait on a doctor to ask. I?m not fond of the cutting open idea myself but if it works! Lol. What was your experience with pneumonia? How long did it last? And wow you are lucky to get people to listen, I?ve gotten maybe 3 nice nurses altogether that will even talk to me, out of 10 here so far plus the aides who can?t be bothered they stand outside the room discussing how & why they might buy the iPhoneX instead of answering my help calls to tend to another swelling. A head nurse came in just to insist i keep in in my hand it?s like I?m invisible at this point. And I?m an ex- iv user but it?s obvious they see the track marks, and i hear them laughing about the ink too. All around sucks

To answer your questions, they said they did a port on me because my veins were so bad, and they didn't want to keep sticking me. I was in varying degrees of consciousness, and don't remember them putting it in, so it might have been done while I was unconscious. My pneumonia was a bad one! I already had COPD/emphysema and sleep on oxygen, but then I didn't have to use it any other time. When I called the ambulance at 3 in the morning, I could not breathe, even on oxygen. I had a viral infection and a bacterial infection in both lungs. They didn't expect me to live, especially after I refused intubation. I have a horror of being kept alive on machines, and I know that's always a possibility with a trach tube. Plus I'm already terminal-ish with cirrhosis of the liver, so I've been a No Code for a long time. I was barely conscious when I heard the doctor say they were going to put a tube down my throat and I sat straight up and told him, no you're not. We had a conversation, and at the end he said, I believe you're in your right mind and you have the right to refuse medical treatment. I told him if they could save me with a BiPap (external mask with oxygen at a high flow) then OK, but no ventilator. So they stabilized me, put a bunch of drugs and antibiotics in the IV and sent me to the ICU. I've never been sick like that before or since. They did all kinds of different breathing treatments, nebulizers, inhalers, etc. I had a full-face mask for the first about 5 days.

I think the reason some of the nurses treated me OK was because I know a few people who work at the hospital--it's a small town. Also, I always had someone with me. My best friend lived across the street and she was there all the time, plus I'm related to a lot of people here, who don't come visit me when I'm not in the hospital but came to see me there. Yeah, a lot of hospital people really suck, but our local hospital really does try to treat people well. I've been in a hospital where I was treated worse than I'd treat a dog, up in Seattle and in Boise. But I can't bitch about this one. Plus they have seriously amazing food! I think the fact that I had another person in my room who I could send out to get them if they didn't show up made all the difference--most hospitals are a little scared to treat you too bad if you've got a witness. After that illness, though, which was about 3 years ago, I've been completely dependent on oxygen to live, 24/7, and it's really affected my quality of life. I have a portable concentrator, so I can go places, but I can't walk more than about ten feet without a walker. I did quit smoking, though! ;)

Any other questions, just ask. Hope you get treated better--if you have a friend or relative that can come down and just be there with you, they'll shape up and treat you like a human being. One thing they are really, really afraid of is being sued, and what it sounds like they are doing trying to stick you over and over is not acceptable medical practice. I asked a nurse where I was what they did in that event, and she said they had a two-stick rule. If someone tried twice and couldn't get a vein after two tries, they'd get someone better, and if that didn't work, they'd do like they did to me and put in a port so they didn't have to keep trying and they didn't have to worry about the IV infiltrating. I've had that happen before, and it sucks!

I had the same situation. My sister was hospitalized with cancer, we needed to put her on some drips when she was laying after chemotherapy. We ordered her a special hospital bed because it was very difficult for her to move and we asked a nurse from the hospital to come and put her on an IV. So when she came she could not get into a vein picked open and scratched her whole hand. I was shocked. How is it possible for a healthcare professional to be not professional and irresponsible?

I have the opposite problem but got judged all the same. One and only DUI I got in 2006 the cops took me to the ER to get blood drawn. My veins are solid and pronounced and I have never IV'd. The phlebotomist was a MADD bitch or something because she jabbed me so hard I had bruises for a week. My blood draws for tests have always been easy peasy . Don't even need a band aid afterwards. This bitch just figured I was a piece of shit for drunk driving. I mean I was....but she still should have drawn the blood professionally.

I had the same situation. My sister was hospitalized with cancer, we needed to put her on some drips when she was laying after chemotherapy. We ordered her a special hospital bed because it was very difficult for her to move and we asked a nurse from the hospital to come and put her on an IV. So when she came she could not get into a vein picked open and scratched her whole hand. I was shocked. How is it possible for a healthcare professional to be not professional and irresponsible?
that's horrible, i'm sorry to hear she went through that! my empathy completely. and yes i do not know who's training these healthcare "professionals" in bedside manner or working with different vein types. atrocious. thank you for sharing

I have the opposite problem but got judged all the same. One and only DUI I got in 2006 the cops took me to the ER to get blood drawn. My veins are solid and pronounced and I have never IV'd. The phlebotomist was a MADD bitch or something because she jabbed me so hard I had bruises for a week. My blood draws for tests have always been easy peasy . Don't even need a band aid afterwards. This bitch just figured I was a piece of shit for drunk driving. I mean I was....but she still should have drawn the blood professionally.
exactly that's horrible...no matter what they should treat a patient with respect. thank ou for sharing