• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Horrible Akathisia

Built240

Bluelighter
The past two nights I couldn?t figure out what was wrong with me. I had these odd muscle sensations that felt like I needed to constantly stretch and move and no matter what I did nothing helped. It was not only my legs actually it was more so my back and torso and almost even felt like my insides needed to be stretched as weird as that sounds. In the past two nights I?ve literally gotten only a few hours of sleep. I tried narrowing down what it could?ve been from. A few days ago I started 2.5 mg Memantine and thought that was the reason but I?m not so sure that was the culprit. My doctor increased my Lexapro from 10 mg to 15 mg about a week ago and I?m thinking maybe that might be it. This is odd because I?ve taken Lexapro for over seven years off and on as well as other drugs like antipsychotics and anticonvulsants I have never experienced this. But at the same time when I first started those I was using cabergoline which is probably why. I was researching all night and I?ve seen a few studies showing beta blockers can help but I?ve been on Nebivolol for a few months already. I tried taking benzodiazepines, muscle relaxants, Benadryl, melatonin, etc. pretty much everything to fall asleep you can think of and nothing worked. Finally last night I decided to take .25mg Ropinirole and about two hours later I finally fell asleep and the akathisia went away. What?s confusing to me is I?ve been on all sorts of medicines for over seven years and now I am just starting to get akathisia and it just randomly happened out of the blue two days ago. It only happens at night and not even so much when I?m just sitting down relaxing watching TV it only happens when I actually lay in bed and try and go to sleep. I?m going to make a appointment with my doctor next week but I?m wondering if anyone else has experienced akathisia in what fixed it? Thank you

You said you already tried benzos but have you tried diclazepam? It's a valium like rc with a 42 hr half life. I mention it bc of its long duration of action and Its AMAZING effect on muscle relaxation/ twitching, and feeling antsy

Polypharmacia can make tracking down adverse effects nearly impossible. You did mention you were taking antipsychotics. Are you still on them. dyskinesia and akathisia are effects that can happen after being on these for a period of time. Also, if you were taking benzos and decreased the dosage maybe this can be a factor. Do you have multiple doctors managing this? i.e. psychiatrist, internal medicine, GP, etc. This also complicates things.

Polypharmacia can make tracking down adverse effects nearly impossible. You did mention you were taking antipsychotics. Are you still on them. dyskinesia and akathisia are effects that can happen after being on these for a period of time. Also, if you were taking benzos and decreased the dosage maybe this can be a factor. Do you have multiple doctors managing this? i.e. psychiatrist, internal medicine, GP, etc. This also complicates things.

Very true. This will be nearly impossible to answer or direct in any meaningful way because of all of the different drugs at play.

It?s been about a week?ish since I dropped the Lexapro dosage in the past three or four nights the side effect is gone away so I?m 99% sure that was the cause. I think the increasing serotonin from the Lexapro combined with the depletion of dopamine when the stimulants were out of my system where what caused this. All I know is I?ve had some painful stuff happened to me in my life. I?ve been in fights got punched in the face broke arms and legs, etc. but I would take all of that any day over the symptoms I was getting the past three nights. I feel so bad for people who have to take heavy antipsychotics and have to deal with those symptoms I wouldn?t wish that on my worst enemy.